BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

A few weeks ago I changed tunes from the Dinan Stage 3 tune and gave in to giving the Evolve tune a try. Sorry for the late review, I've been really busy these past few weeks with work and moving. So let the review begin!

I initially went with the Dinan Stage 3 tune shortly after I had the Dinan Intake boxes installed because I believed (and still do) that Dinan knows their airboxes the best and their software would take optimize for the full potential of the increased air (and I liked that they have the warranty). I still do believe this, but the Dinan tune was lacking in one major feature I was interested in: the famous Cold Start Delete. I recently purchased a house and was about to move to a new neighborhood and I didn't want to make enemies with my neighbors due to the cold start our cars give. I had heard other M5's with the cold start delete and just needed that, especially since I have a Dinan exhaust. I gave Dinan a call and asked if they could do the Cold Start Delete, but they said that they couldn't because they didn't want to be held liable in case the primary cats were damaged in anyway because of this.

After doing lots of research, and a few nice e-mail conversations with Sal from Evolve, I was convinced that I could leave the primary cats on and get the cold start delete without damaging my primary cats. It would just take a while longer for the primary cats to actually start functioning properly and lowering the emissions, but I was okay with that. Having read so many reviews on success stories and the east of the Evolve-R, I decided to give it a try.

Ordered the Evolve-R through the website, and within a few days I received the tiny black box with the cable inside. The instructions were very simple to follow and I was able to easily download my ECU and send it over to Sal. There were some issues with some software version issues, but I gave Sal a call and we were able to resolve the issues very easily and quickly (he's quite a character to talk to, by the way. Very humorous!). Sal sent back my tuned image a few hours later and I went home and loaded it into my car in just minutes. And then I went for a drive...

Pretty much INSTANTLY I could feel much more power throughout the entire band. There was definitely a much stronger pull in the the lower RPM's, which the Dinan tune lacked in. I felt that the Dinan tune only improved throttle response significantly after 4k RPM, but the Evolve Stage 1 tune gave me better throttle response all throughout, even better response than the Dinan after 4k RPM. I had not even pressed the M button yet so I decided to hit the on-ramp to the freeway. Pressed that favorite button of mine with my right thumb and WHOOSH away the car went. I really got thrown back in my seat by the amount of power that was available at my right foot. The Evolve tune seriously just blew the Dinan tune out of the way. The redline was also raised from Dinan's 8400RPM to 8600RPM and from my experience, I don't feel a power loss in going to that high. In fact, I love the higher rev because it just feels more violent and more ferocious (and that V10 scream sounds awesome!). I initially wanted to go back to my Dinan tune to do comparisons, but after having felt the power of my Evolve'd car, I knew I was not going to go back to the Dinan tune for comparison (probably when it comes to smog tests I will though). There is no comparison.

And of course I got the Cold Start Delete. My family noticed the difference immediately and said that my starts in the morning were now quieter by about 30-40%. I was very happy with that and since after moving houses, my new neighbors haven't complained....yet hiha

I still have a lot of respect for Dinan, but one thing they lack in in their tunes is that they're generic and not specific to each car. I remember when I sent Sal my image, he said that my ECU looked exactly the same as another Dinan image he got from another M5 member. Sal will spend the time & effort to optimize the tune specifically for your car. Very knowledgable and cheerful guy.

Pretty sure most of you have already read similar reviews on the Evolve tune and now you have another satisfied customer to add to the list. Sal was great to work with and I'm really considering getting those Evolve headers and upgrading to the Evolve Stage 2 tune. But first I have to furnish my new house...

+1 for Evolve.

--Randy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad to see you finally joined the rest of us with the Evolve Tune! The cold start delete was one of the best mods I have made to my noisy ***** car.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sound great....i need to start looking for a tune with the cold start delete feature as I live in similar conditions as well (new to the neighborhood and dont want to make enemies).

Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Great write up Randy! and congrats on the new home!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys!

Travis - You have my number...let me know if you change your mind. Although I have already allocated those header funds to purchasing other toys for the house =)

DarrinB - It's not that I don't like the cold start, but it's just that I had gotten complaints about it being too loud and asking if I could change my muffler, which I did not want to do. Since I recently moved to a new neighborhood, I figure I would try whatever I could to not make enemy neighbors.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Awesome! Can't wait for the evolve group buy to come to fruition... My biggest gripe with the stock tune is the lack of top end. I catch myself shifting early bc there's no more power on the top, but judging by your review I have nothing to worry about

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Congrats Randy, time to see how quick the car is now :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats Randy, time to see how quick the car is now :tonquesmilie:
How big of a head start are you going to give me? :hihi:

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
How big of a head start are you going to give me? :hihi:
You have an 08, I have a measly 06 so 1 car length should do it :cheers:

Reactions: randywei

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Good read about the Evolve Tune. I may be switching out from my Dinan Stage 3 tune as well....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Good read on the Evolve Tune. This just helped me with my decision to go with Evolve. :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Based on this review I am dropping my order for Dinan Stage 3 soft and ordering Evolve. Nice review with lots of helpful info.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Dinan stuff is notorious for being very conservative and very expensive. Yes, it's all good product, but they leave some on the table. Back in the day, (of installing chips) Dinan would only map the WOT map and leave everything else the same.

One question, did your rev limit change in the tach? Did the little limit thing move down a little? I also got Evolved (love the tune) and noticed my tach is still in the same place, but have not been able to explore the redline with traffic and crap weather.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts