BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few days ago, I was driving my car and received the dreaded Malfunction Reduced Power fault. Right before the malfunction, I smelled a strong fuel smell. The engine was shaking and sounded very rough. I was close to home so I just drove straight there.

The next day I had the car towed to the dealer, and today I received an email with their findings. Attached is the computer generated error code (I think.. because I asked the service representative to send me a copy of the error code report) along side the cost of fixing the problem, which truned out to be ignition coils, spark plugs, engine mounts, leak between transmission and engine (even though I have no oil drops where I park the car), replacement of underneath covers and a few other nuts and bolts.

Can M5 gurus please take a look and advice? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

08 E60 M5 production 03/07 Euro face-lift.
60k miles on the clock. I bought the car with 54k miles.
No mods except from K&N Intake system installed by PO at the dealer.
PO have done all services at the dealership, at least that's what the records I found with the car suggests.

Note: $1 = 3.65QR
Total estimation to fix all problems is $5590

Attachments

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
You have 26 error codes which are almost all electrically related.

- Test battery under load
- Test alternator output voltage

Once those are resolved and only then, look at every thing else. No other vehicle made is as sensitive to low voltage as the E60.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jcolley. A bit of info I forgot to mention as i thought perhaps irrelevant. For four of five days prior to the malfunction incident, every time I get in the car in the mornings it takes me sometimes five minutes and lots of trials on the start button to get the car to start. That seem to coincide with the weather cooling off here at the same time. Somehow this seem to support your theory? I will have the dealer check on the battery and alternator and report back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the dealer called me today to say that both the battery and the alternator are fine. Jim, would the problem perhaps be bad ignition coils + spark plugs? I mean the car was producing so much unburned fuel. If so, would it be safe to drive the car home to do the coils and plugs work myself?

·
Registered
827 Posts
You could ask the shop if there's any mentions about too high voltage in the fault list. It could be a bad voltage regulator inside the alternator.

- Antti -

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The service rep told me when I requested that the battery and alternator be checked about the procedure of going about checking them. When he called today I was sleep, he did give me the values of both tests and I'm embarrassed but don't remember them. But if that's any help, I can call tomorrow and inquire about them once again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts