BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and I am sorry to bring up this item, primarily because it is happening to me and secondly it has been significantly discussed. I have read almost all the information I could find on previous posts on this subject. The experiences were numerous and the technical explanations were just what the engineer in me needed.

I feel I know my options for my failing clutch on my '02 E39 wth 39k miles. I will probably go with the UUC Stage 1 set up - even though my car is a daily driver, I have taken it to the track at Texas World Speedway and intend to do this occassionally.

The question I have concerns the sporatic slipping behavior with the current stock clutch assembly. I noticed some slight slippage when I got the CPO car with 25k miles. This only ocurred around 3500 to 4500 rpm when doing a WOT acceleration after downshifting from 5th to 4th on the freeway. Having driven manual transmission my entire life, but not knowing the vehicle, I niavely convinced myself this was part of the M5 power management system or something! At 30k, the problem persisted and I reviewed the "issue" with my dealer, who had their tech inpect it and told me everything was the way it was suppose to be and there was no problem with the clutch that they could repeat. At 39k, I can get slippage in various downshifts and sometimes in a simple hard acceleration on the on-ramp without downshifting. The thing that surprizes me is that there are times when the clutch appears to be rock solid. Is this typical and is there a good explanation? Any insight would be much appreciated before I take the plunge($$) to the UUC stage 1.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey there, CB. Glad to have you on board. Likewise, I have been experiencing some slippage on my stock clutch with 43k miles. I suppose I would say that mine appears "rock solid" on occasion as well, but have always attributed it to my less than perfect knowledge on the proper feel of a perfect clutch. Please let me know what you decide to do and who you choose to install it. When I get some time, I probably should do the same.

Thanks,
TexasM5

·
Registered
992 Posts
TexasM5 said:
Hey there, CB. Glad to have you on board. Likewise, I have been experiencing some slippage on my stock clutch with 43k miles. I suppose I would say that mine appears "rock solid" on occasion as well, but have always attributed it to my less than perfect knowledge on the proper feel of a perfect clutch. Please let me know what you decide to do and who you choose to install it. When I get some time, I probably should do the same.

Thanks,
TexasM5
Yep, I was experiencing it a 5k miles!! I took it to the dealer and was basically told I was missing the shift point. I spent the next few k miles working on getting the right "touch" and now I haven't experienced it again (maybe less than once every 2 months).

At WOT, I upshift at 5600 or above.

SCORPIO

·
10,455 Posts
Before you spend your own money on a clutch, pull off the underbelly plastic and locate the bellhousing. There is a small plug at the bottom, pull it out and stick your finger in there, check for oil. My car had a rear main seal leak, which got oil on the clutch, and i had the same symptoms. Of course the dealer could not duplicate, and my clutch often seemed fine, other times would slip. I got the clutch kit and flywheel relpaced under warranty from this. If i were paying, i'd go the uuc route too.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts