BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read through a lot of the DIY threads and whatnot regarding the drive shaft and bearing and what-not. I'm not sure what my best option is.

Here is a rundown on what I'm working with:

Currently 130K on the car
At around 110 I swappen in a Dinan Rear end....did not drop the shaft at this time only disconnected and reconnected the rear end.
At around 125 I installed a new UUC V-12 clutch and had all the seals, tubes, etc replaced on the trans, basically every serviceable part was replaced, which obviously involved dropping the trans, driveshaft, etc.

Ever since then I gat a 'whomp whomp whomp' sound with a bit of vibration at about 4K rpm. It is not harsh, but it is constant. It will vary based on load, speed, etc.

I'm pretty sure that due to a combination of the service and dissassembly of the shaft it probably pushed the bearing over the edge and needs replacement.

So, because of the mileage, would it be in my best interest just to replace the whole assembly? If a bearing is still the best option, am I going to run into any other issues during replacement because of the mileage.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Hey Bob. I assume you replaced your guibo. In any event, it's probably not a bad idea to replace the entire unit. That was done on my car at 75k when it was converted into an S2.

--Peter

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, replaced the guibo. The one that was in there had to be the original, it was in pretty bad shape. I was amazed at how immaculate the car was for 125K and 1 winter.

I'll start searching for a complete assembly. I was leaning toward that option anyways.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
id have the driveshaft tested before you go out and waste money on a new driveshaft. a really good shop is able to rebuild that driveshaft too.

it sounds more like wheel bearings to me though, you should be able to raise the car and run it and somewhat have a better idea of where its coming from.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oooo, good point, I never thought of that. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and rebuild all the suspension. Well, The KW var3's are fine, but the rest of the stuff. Hmmmm, that or Brembos.....

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
another way to eliminate the driveshaft being the issue is by getting the car up to a higher speed, if its the driveshaft, the car should feel like its going to blow up. those bearings dont usually "gradually" go out, its almost a sudden issue.

if you simply hear the noise increase in speed, then i would put my money on the wheel bearings in the rear, your car is due for them, i would leave the driveshaft alone. i have 180k on mine, and had it out a lot more then you have, yet no issues with mine.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It definitely doesn't do that (the blow up thing).

Looking at the suspension rebuild kits and the wheels bearings. Looks like I can do just about the whole car for under $1K. Then I need to decide if I go monoball or not.

Thanks for the pointers.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Time has past my friend you can be mailed the 'real' stuff now.

Besides, that was Robinade Much superior to Lemonade.

Thank you though.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts