BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow M5Board members. Yes, it's another one of those exhaust threads. I am a very new member here as you can tell by my post count (under 10 posts), so I figured I would introduce myself with my very first mod to my 2006 M5.

I wanted an exhaust that sounded like most of the super expensive ones a lot of us on here have and can afford. I, however, cannot afford to drop thousands of dollars on metal piping and fiberglass. So, I set out to create my own for under $500. I believe I succeeded since it only cost a total of $387 including installation!!

Anyway, it consists of:
1. Removing the secondary cats and replacing them with 4" SS resonator pipes
2. Removing the factory resonator and installing a Magnaflow Tru X-Pipe
3. Removing all 4 mufflers and installing straight pipes with dual 3.5" tips

Everyone seemed concerned with raspy tones and cabin drone. I believe the way to remedy this is making sure you either retain the secondary cats, or in my case, swapping them for resonator pipes. Here are pics and videos for you to love or hate:

All new parts:

New 4" Resonators:

New Magnaflow Tru X-Pipe:

New 3.5" Tips:

Installation (bad photos):

Finished:

Videos:
First time to gun the car from a stop so the launch was bouncy with DSC intervening:
E60 2006 M5 Custom Exhaust Run 1 - YouTube

Second video i eased on the gas then accelerated:
E60 2006 M5 Custom Exhaust Run 2 - YouTube

I hope you enjoyed this and I hope it inspires a few. :cheers:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello fellow M5Board members. Yes, it's another one of those exhaust threads. I am a very new member here as you can tell by my post count (under 10 posts), so I figured I would introduce myself with my very first mod to my 2006 M5.

I wanted an exhaust that sounded like most of the super expensive ones a lot of us on here have and can afford. I, however, cannot afford to drop thousands of dollars on metal piping and fiberglass. So, I set out to create my own for under $500. I believe I succeeded since it only cost a total of $387 including installation!!

Can you please tell me EXACTLY where to get all of what you just got. I already removed the secondary cats but i need the muffler section. Sounds awesome!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sound

Sounds good. Best bang for the buck :M5launch:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Can you please tell me EXACTLY where to get all of what you just got. I already removed the secondary cats but i need the muffler section. Sounds awesome!
eBay is my preferred choice when buying stuff. Click on the links below for the EXACT places within eBay I purchased from. :goldcup:

QTY (2) Resonators

QTY (1) Magnaflow X-Pipe

QTY (2) Exhaust Tips

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds surprisingly good!

Only if I didn't daily my M, just a little too loud for a daily driver.
I actually DD my ///M and in Houston rush-hour traffic. Its not that bad to be honest. My WRX is WAY worse. I am wanting to take a few more videos. One from the drivers standpoint, one of flybys, and one of my neighbors getting pissed off at my cold starts in the morning :biggrin:. I have a decibel meter that I plan on using to take a couple of readings as well.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Not loud enough :haha:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any time bro. BTW, I'm already thinking about swapping out for 4" tips.

Reactions: Hindred

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
eBay is my preferred choice when buying stuff. Click on the links below for the EXACT places within eBay I purchased from. :goldcup:

So if i already have the secondary cats removed and want to get rid of my mufflers. I would only need the resonators and exhaust tips right? Here are some pics of my setup now.

Confused, you have a Meisterschaft exhaust and you want to molest it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When i bought the car i was told its a section 3 Meisterchaft, but after posting it on a thread and asking around it looks like i just have a Meisterchaft x pipe. These are the stock mufflers. It's not loud at all, so i could already tell i didn't have Meisterchaft mufflers.
Oh okay then, yes, slap a couple resonators up front were the cats used to be and rip those mufflers off and enjoy 10 cylinders of ecstasy.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Exhausts are tricky you have to get the back pressure just right or you can lose HP. Did you dyno your car before your exhaust install? It would be good to know if you made gains over the stock set up

1 - 20 of 69 Posts