BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm cruising down the highway when I see a slowly revolving lugnut headed right for..CLUNK.. my freakin' windshield leaving a 6 inch spiderweb!

Do I really have to use OEM replacements here or can I have one of those companies come to my office and replace it on the spot?
Thanks for any guidance!
TripleD

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just had to replace mine and faced the same dilemma. You can go with your local glass guy and they're much cheaper. However, there are a lot of "tricks" to doing a BMW install, including pretensioning and a number of other techniques that I know for a fact that your average local installer doesn't know. In fact, one of my college buddies who owns a glass company admitted his installers do nothing different for an M5 than for your average Chevy. The bottom line for me was that my deductable was $500, so rather than pay a local guy $350- 500, I made a claim and got an OEM ( with rain sensing, which is another issue for local installers) for the $500 deductible.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
You will need to use OEM glass to keep using your rain sensor feature for your wipers. I went to Safelite and even they recommended using OEM and went and got it for me. The caution is to be sure the installation is done according to the TSB. Basically you need two plastic spacer blocks (BMW part) and install the windshield keeping it under tension with the blocks until it sets. If they don't follow this procedure to the letter, you will get wind noise even though it will still seal fine against leaks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great advice and thank you. I think I will just pony up for the OEM to ensure it's done correctly. And maybe use insurance or my extended warranty if covered.
TripleD

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Stick with OEM, I've used those "cheaper guys" in the past but always had issues with not having the windshield properly sealed and water leakage. Another issue is also the rain sensing wipers? Good Luck and stick with OEM, it will cost you more now but well worth it in the long run:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.