BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this sound has been happening since I picked up the new beast. I have removed the steering wheel a handful of times and still can't seem to pinpoint the issue. Changed out the cable reel/clock spring with another used working one and no change. Any idea what this could be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEkzsOS8msQ&feature=youtu.be

Any feedback is MUCH APPRECIATED as this gets a little annoying. In my video I have the engine running in neutral to exaggerate the issue but you can here it around every turn of the wheel.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
Come to RE tomorrow for the meet. George and I will be there with our cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Have you checked the clockspring? You should be able to remove it pretty easily and while holding the clip in the center, turn the center section and see if it makes the same sound. Make sure you keep track of how much you turn it so you can return it to where it was when you took it off.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Just saw that you replaced it with a used one. I don't know then.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I did replace it. Maybe the used one was bad too? but what are the chances. With the lack of response, does not seem like a common issue. Maybe ill go for a brand new one and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It's still about the only thing it could be. If the used one was sitting for a while, the grease in it could have hardened or something. There is also a plastic bearing in there somewhere. I don't know how easy that is to replace and I haven't seen any confirmed instances of it fixing steering wheel noises, but who knows. It's number 2 in the diagram on this page: RealOEM.com   BMW E39 M5 STEER.COL.-STEER. SPIN. UPPER

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I have seen the diagram. I didnt see that when I replaced the clock spring or perhaps I wasnt looking hard enough. Maybe I'll get both to just be sure.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered the bearing for $14 on ebay, genuine BMW, lets see how that works out. I have a feeling this has to be it. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
No problem, I hope it works. There aren't too many wear parts in there. You might have to take apart a lot of the steering column to get to it, but hopefully it fixes it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I changed out the "bearing", that did not fix it. Went ahead and ordered another cable reel/clock spring, also did not fix it.

Still can't seem to figure out what is causing this issue.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The source of that noise should be pretty easy to pinpoint, the location at least if not the specific part making the noise. Have you tried a mechanics stethoscope?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The source of that noise should be pretty easy to pinpoint, the location at least if not the specific part making the noise. Have you tried a mechanics stethoscope?
I should probably pick one of those up at harbor freight or something. I also need to get an airbag light reset tool. As each time I am resetting my battery and fully putting it back together only to find out nothing has changed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts