BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to memorize the shift setting on the SMG so it won't default back to S3 when the car is shut off? I tried memorizing the setting (using the M button on the side of the seat) but it does not seem to memorize this setting. (I know how to memorize stuff for the M button on the steering wheel, but that is not what I want to do.)

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
That would really be ideal, but AFAIK that's not possible. The "default-to-Dmode" does have some practical merit, though (ie: valet purposes).

·
Registered
270 Posts
tkhater said:
Is there any way to memorize the shift setting on the SMG so it won't default back to S3 when the car is shut off? I tried memorizing the setting (using the M button on the side of the seat) but it does not seem to memorize this setting. (I know how to memorize stuff for the M button on the steering wheel, but that is not what I want to do.)
Setting was kept on my M3. The manual suggests that it may be done on the M6 after the 1200mi service but I'm not sure. I'll know in 3 days.

Learning the systems in this summitch is tougher than some courses I've taken.

·
Registered
356 Posts
psybj said:
Setting was kept on my M3. The manual suggests that it may be done on the M6 after the 1200mi service but I'm not sure. I'll know in 3 days.

Learning the systems in this summitch is tougher than some courses I've taken.
Quite correct - Set in S5 - double shift to the right (left in your case!!) on restart and S5 is what you got!!!

Only time D is used is on long trip with speed control.

:7: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
frylord said:
I thought the memory button on the side of the seat was only for seating possition.
I think it also memorizes other stuff like radio mode, steering wheel, mirrors, and other things.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
There's a difference between US and ROW cars. US cars default to D3, and S3 (IIRC) ROW cars default to D (something else), but remember which S mode you were in once you either pull a paddle or pull the gearshift over into the D/S gate.

I think the steering wheel is independent of seat positions, but mirrors are saved. Other options - radio stations, heater and aircon, possibly TV too, are saved per key.

Two options worth turning on at your 1200 service are "Mirrors fold on comfort close" so if you hold the lock button for a second either on the door if you have comfort access, or on the remote if you don't, as well as the windows shutting the mirrors fold up. I've found that the auto headlights are too sensitive. The factory setting is to "sensitive", it is worth having it set to normal.

I wish my car had a setting to stop builders parking their van in my spare parking slot (as they were told) so I have to do a 17 point turn to get out. My bumper needs repair/replacement as it now has wall rash after only 223 miles in my new M6. I think I might be able to persuade my dealer to do it at cost (because they like me so much), but I'm really bloody mad!

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts