BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A reliable and airtight vacuum supply is a necessity on the S38, to ensure proper operation of the variable resonance intake, the secondary air injection pump, and the fuel pressure regulator. A large majority of the S38 cars we’ve seen need the vacuum system addressed, and unfortunately, a growing number of the vacuum supply components are no longer available from BMW. The NLA list for our cars seems to grow monthly!

As usual, Angry *** has you covered. We’ve assembled a complete kit to take the guess work out of maintaining this vital system, while also providing some durability upgrades. We have optional braided vacuum line from newer BMWs, as well as stainless steel fittings to replace the plastic ones. Hit the link to check it out: https://www.angryasssolutions.com/parts/s38-intake-system-vacuum-maintenance-kit
All components highlighted in red in the diagram are replaced, in addition to the throttle body vacuum caps.

Let us know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Great timing, I've been putting this off for awhile and might as well get "OEM+" for quality. What's the level of difficulty for this doing DIY? If it's as easy as replacing the rotor cap/distributor I'd love to spend an afternoon on it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Does this work for the B38 as well?
Yes sir it sure does.

Great timing, I've been putting this off for awhile and might as well get "OEM+" for quality. What's the level of difficulty for this doing DIY? If it's as easy as replacing the rotor cap/distributor I'd love to spend an afternoon on it.
Its a bit involved in that you have to remove the plenum. Here is a brief outline of what that entails:

• Remove air filter box by loosening two nuts at chassis attachment point (10mm wrench), disconnect MAF and temperature sensor connectors, remove main intake boot (Flat head) (Clean and inspect for cracks!!!!!!, we suggest replacing if aged heavily and rigid)
  • Disconnect hose from bottom of intake plenum inlet that feeds IAC valve (Flat head)
  • Disconnect hose for crank case cyclone separator at cyclone separator under plenum (Flat head)
  • Disconnect vacuum servo electrical connection and vacuum feed, located on bottom of plenum to left of plenum inlet
  • Disconnect oil drain from cyclone separator (Flat head)
  • Remove two nuts that attach the rubber mounts for plenum support that are mounted on the bottom of the cyclone separator (13mm wrench)
  • Remove single nut holding the wiring harness to plenum at adel clamp (10mm wrench)
  • Remove 12 nuts at the throttle to velocity stack joint (10mm wrench)
  • Ensure all connections and hoses are clear and lift plenum off throttle body studs and clear of lower plenum mount. This is a tilting motion.
  • Inspect orings on velocity stack as well as velocity stack boots for cracks or damage, replace if damaged!
We will be documenting all of this in the install directions we are wrapping up to make it easier for you all. Its honestly very straight forward and makes for a great and very rewarding project.

Love your work guys. I'll check my supplies over the weekend and see if I "need" this kit ;).
Thanks! We love the community and please let us know what we can help with!!

- Greg | Angry ***

1 - 7 of 7 Posts