BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the interest of transparency I was not asked by the guys at Angry *** to do this. I have a great relationship with them and I like what they are doing and bought the kit myself, but this is strictly an enthusiast review.

I have put over a thousand spirited miles on the F30 front brake conversion that Angry *** carries and figured I would give an honest write up on how they perform. My goal was to do this conversion as affordable as possible, I was getting to the point of needing pads so in my typical fashion I decided to swap over the front brakes entirely. My previous set up was the 95 M5 euro front and rear with EBC red pads. Currently with the AA kit I am retaining the euro 328mm rears since that was the most convenient option to stay with, for fairness of comparison I decided to use the same EBC red compound with brake fluid that is regularly changed before it needs it.

INSTALLATION:

Everyone knows what fitment issues you can end up with when you go with an aftermarket set up. The spacers have the same feel of quality as you would find with a Snap-On wrench. The install is very straightforward if you ever converted to non M5 hubs. If you still run your stock hubs, you will either need to drill your new rotors for the kit or inquire with AA about having them drilled before shipping if you decided to purchase rotors from them. I went with a cheaper Zimmerman rotor in the interest of cost savings and drilled my own rotors. Other than that it could not be more simple. Anyone who has the ATE 345mm front brakes knows that a cinder block weighs less. The aluminum F30 Brembo calipers weigh almost nothing compared to them, a very nice plus. The rotors, while I did not weigh them definitely feel heavier than the floating disks that I was running. Not significantly more, but worth mentioning.

When you have your old assembly off it is just as simple as installing the spacers between the threaded portion of the knuckle for the caliper bolts and the caliper. AA provides the hardware needed as well as thread locker. The one small thing that stuck out to me as a sign of quality is the diameter of the caliper spacer. It can be somewhat difficult to juggle the caliper with the bolts and the thread locker while trying to line it up perfectly. The reason the diameter is crucial is that it matches the same circular flat spot on the knuckle, allowing you to rest the top spacer in place while lining the top up which makes installing the lower bolt trivial. Being able to use stock brake lines with this kit is another huge plus in my book (I had already replaced my lines earlier, but AA offers USA made lines if you need them).

PERFORMANCE:

I really did not know what to expect by going to a slightly smaller rotor but obviously better caliper design, the euro brakes always did a great job of stopping with the Michelin A/S 3+ tires on a square set of 8" M systems. The difference was immediate even during the bedding process. The pedal feel is very solid, but not solid like an E28 with a failed brake accumulator if anyone else has experienced that joy. The brakes are even easier to modulate and seem to be a small bit more precise. With the euro set up it always felt a slight bit soft but never had any issues with their performance. With a sticky enough tire it feels like you could reverse the earth's rotation, they work that well. I plan on shooting a few videos to show how quickly they stop. The only downside is the reaction time of the person behind you, they wont expect you to stop like you will. If you are in the Atlanta area feel free to ask for a ride, if you are nice I might even let you drive it.

COST:

Calipers: $400

I found a 335i being parted locally. Buying these new was not within my budget but had no issue with running used calipers that are essentially new.

Rotors: $219.04 (Zimmerman 34116792223Z2)

I considered using the rotors from the car being parted but did not want used pads and rotors for comparison sake. If you want to go really cheap, you could go with the used components but I generally like new things when it comes to stopping the car.

Brake Pads: $171.99 (EBC Red DP32130C)

I replaced the rear pads at the same time but have not included them in the price, I wanted to match compounds between front and rear. Pad choice is a personal preference for how you drive. Pad recommendations are like oil recommendations, I like the reds for what I do. I mainly use my M5 as a backup commuter or as a fun weekend mountain car.

Angry *** conversion hardware kit: $55.72

Brake Fluid: I had two pints on the shelf, so this was "free"

Overall I was happy to keep it under $1000 while picking up significant stopping power.

TLDR: If you are planning on upgrading your front brakes, you will not regret using this system. If you don't want to hunt for the components, Angry *** will sell you a total kit ready to install.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for this review. This looks like a great option.

When you say you will have to drill the discs, would you need to do this for the early M5s?

·
Registered
51 Posts

When you say you will have to drill the discs, would you need to do this for the early M5s?
If you are running stock hubs yes. The hubs have the two pins that stick through/ into the rotor to help to keep the break disc in place. If you look at picture one you can see the two holes that were drilled, just outside the wheel studs

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The locating dowels for the rotor are present on all M5s as far as I know. If you order the rotors from AA they offer the service. Alternatively you could swap to non M hubs and bolt the rotor straight on.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks. Would there be any disadvantage to going to non M5 Hubs?
Not that we have found. My own M5 has non-M5 hubs, from a previous coil over swap. Interestingly, the E34 M5 was the only car on which BMW used the locating pins. We have not completed full testing to try and ascertain BMW's purpose (nor do we doubt BMW M engineering by any means), but we can safely recommend regular E34 hubs if that is preferable.

We have provided M5board member Jedd with OEM BMW rotors with custom-drilled hats to fit over his M5 hubs, and as Nanajoth mention, offer this as a service. Just let us know! ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nice write up. However I have mentioned before I have a new 6 pot system, race pads, but others are available, 350mm discs with alluminium hats for £1200. Includes braided hoses and fixings. All fitting under the 17” alloys.

So to compare this good set up against the one fitted to my car, extra pistons, quality discs, which will be as light. The discs in my set will last longer than the Zimmerman’s, Hawk Road pads will provide a better performance than EBC. I have tested these on track without any issue of fade with standard brake fluid.

Company is Compbrake, my 2 pence worth.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even after putting a few more thousand on them they still work perfectly well. I bought a 525 daily driver and laughed when I hit the brakes since it was not what I was used to.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nice write up. However I have mentioned before I have a new 6 pot system, race pads, but others are available, 350mm discs with alluminium hats for £1200. Includes braided hoses and fixings. All fitting under the 17” alloys.

So to compare this good set up against the one fitted to my car, extra pistons, quality discs, which will be as light. The discs in my set will last longer than the Zimmerman’s, Hawk Road pads will provide a better performance than EBC. I have tested these on track without any issue of fade with standard brake fluid.

Company is Compbrake, my 2 pence worth.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Appreciate your experience so please post in another thread so the community gets a full and fair description of what you offer. This thread is by a customer posting his opinion on our street setup that uses OEM BMW components. If you want to discuss the virtues of multiple brake setups we would love it, just not here.

Greg | Angry ***

·
Registered
385 Posts
I already have a posting on here somewhere. However they get lost in the depths of time. Just offering an opinion in the thread for comparison perposes, which forums are designed for. My experience, Zimmermanns are a poor disc and the disc from Compbrake performance way above. (I cracked a Zimmermann disc with my old E30 M3). The compbrake discs takes all the abuse from race Hawk pads without issue.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hey Toby,

I've always enjoyed your posts and your thread, so please know that I am not coming in hot at you here :)

This was not a sponsored post, and it's a free internet, don't get me wrong. It just feels a bit bad form to piggy back on an autonomous, promotional post by one of our customers, particularly in a competitive manner. We will not engage in this practice, but if you feel your post is appropriate, carry on as you see fit.

On the Zimmerman/EBC topic: we sell the OEM BMW rotors and pads with our kit as an option, or like in the OP's case, we allow the customer to source whichever rotors and pads fit their budget and driving profile. Our full kit is 100% BMW components plus a set of stainless steel, heavy duty caliper spacers, which is not an apples-to-apples comparison for your budget-oriented, track-focused, aftermarket kit.

For a more valid comparison, for our race customers, we offer AP Racing Radi-Cal calipers on bespoke 7075 custom adapters, paired with custom 6061 hats that hang motorsports-grade AP Racing J-hook rotors. Unfortunately this front setup typically costs more than the average E34, so it's not for everyone, but we find our Street kit detailed in this kit a very hard setup to beat for durability, performance, availability, and support (at least in the US, Compbrake is unheard of).

Cheers!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sorry I did not mean to offend, I thought forums were for discussions and opinions. I was only trying to give the view that for a similar price, there are better products out there. If I was to not do any research and buy this kit, some of the components would not be of a suitable quality for my use and possibly others too.

Why am I saying this? My experience with Zimmerman's - cracked a set with only 1500 miles on my M3(using Hawk HP+ pads) - replaced them with Tarox G88's and the improvement was night and day and EBC are, in my opinion, a marketing success, there are far better pads out there.

Yes AP's are the pinnacle and have them on my E30 M3, however for a good value budget, 4 or 6 pot set up I would not be using the pads and discs in this setup. I would go with Hawk or Pagid instead. The Compbrake discs are 32mm thick.

I understand the Compbrake is a UK company, but we have UK members that might find it useful. This set is a complete set with braided hoses and 2 piece discs set up.

If I have offended please remove my posts. I just wish someone was honest with me before I bought Zimmerman discs, though I did get my money back. It is indeed true you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Forums are absolutely to share opinions and experience, no one is arguing that with you. Your method and tact is just lacking. Saying there are better products out there without any actual facts to the matter besides bigger is better and you don’t like EBC or Zimmerman because of a bad experience is misinformed at best. We don’t offer either EBC or Zimmerman it just so happens that our kit is based on OEM BMW components and there are numerous options for customers (again this was a customer post) to choose from instead of being locked into OEM BMW or some boutique manufacturers options (Compbrake).

You say your post was lost in the feed about Compbrake, maybe no one wanted to reply to it? I love that Compbrake is building parts for the E34 and I’m sure its a wonderful company but attacking others choices is a lack of tact. Voice your opinion and preferences without attacking others. Our customer made choices based on his end use who are you to judge that?

I don’t want your posts removed and I’m sorry you had a bad experience with Zimmerman, again we don’t carry or recommend Zimmerman or EBC we offer OEM BMW components but we leave it up to our customers to decide what is best for their application.

If you need to piss on something I’ll light you a fire.

Greg | Angry ***

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why am I saying this? My experience with Zimmerman's - cracked a set with only 1500 miles on my M3(using Hawk HP+ pads) - replaced them with Tarox G88's and the improvement was night and day and EBC are, in my opinion, a marketing success, there are far better pads out there.
As you know by reading my post, I am using the euro 328mm rears. The pad selection is very limited for these and they work quite well for what I use my car for. Never had a problem with fade, I'm more likely to out brake my tires. I didn't really care for the Hawks that the previous owner filed down to fit the caliper but that's my preference. I really didn't "need" to do this upgrade, I like supporting small, enthusiast owned businesses. I bought the kit out of pocket without being asked to write the review. If you took this for a sales pitch than I would call it a "marketing success". How many pistons do you really need to improve your driving ability? Were you using Zimmerman blanks? I've never been unfortunate enough to have that happen thankfully.

TLDR: The post is a product review. If you are sold on it, you will probably like them. If you want something with more pistons, go that route.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I commend you on your effort, however I feel you have come up short. By using the BMW 4 pot Brembo calipers and they work, that is brilliant. From here on you have use lesser quality parts than the standard BMW ones.

If you are trying to improve your braking then the Tarox G88 and Hawk HPS or HP+ would have been a great step forward(other pads like pagid, carbontech etc) . Excellent for road use, as well as some track driving and would not let you down. If you wanted something more then the 4 pots you have put on are a good choice. Use this with the Tarox and a Hawk HP+ or Race pad is an improvment, again would not let you down.

Zimmerman's are an aftermarket disc and cheaper - say no more. The EBC brake parts, in my opinion, are a cheaper aftermarket part compared to a lot of others you could have chosen. I learnt the hard way 25 years ago.

If you want to improve something you normally need buy better quality, which is more expensive.

A competent driver with standard calipers and the Tarox and Hawk combination would see a marked improvement over the standard design, without the extra expense of new calipers and fitting. In my opinion equally as good.

But hey ho you have gone this route and good luck with it. Improvement requires a better quality of parts, lesser aftermarket is not the way to go in my opinion, especially on brakes.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Forums are absolutely to share opinions and experience, no one is arguing that with you. Your method and tact is just lacking. Saying there are better products out there without any actual facts to the matter besides bigger is better and you don’t like EBC or Zimmerman because of a bad experience is misinformed at best. We don’t offer either EBC or Zimmerman it just so happens that our kit is based on OEM BMW components and there are numerous options for customers (again this was a customer post) to choose from instead of being locked into OEM BMW or some boutique manufacturers options (Compbrake).

You say your post was lost in the feed about Compbrake, maybe no one wanted to reply to it? I love that Compbrake is building parts for the E34 and I’m sure its a wonderful company but attacking others choices is a lack of tact. Voice your opinion and preferences without attacking others. Our customer made choices based on his end use who are you to judge that?

I don’t want your posts removed and I’m sorry you had a bad experience with Zimmerman, again we don’t carry or recommend Zimmerman or EBC we offer OEM BMW components but we leave it up to our customers to decide what is best for their application.

If you need to piss on something I’ll light you a fire.

Greg | Angry ***
How is having a product that fails because it can't handle the workload it is been designed for and fails by cracking, be misinformation? I am voicing my opinion from experience and stating there are much better quality parts out there to use. I have not slated you or the OP either. Just offered a better solution, where the kit is available.

I have learnt if you want to improve brakes you have to buy quality parts. Yes add a BBK, but not with parts where the quality is poorer that stock.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Toby, you're really crossing a line or two and I don't understand how you don't see it.

A) We at Angry *** Solutions don't sell Zimmerman, and you are lumping Zimmerman in with the Angry *** Street BBK. The nature of our business is to give our customers options, but you've muddled it in your posts as if we are selling Zimmerman rotors ourselves. Part of our business model is to give our customers options, but if you are going to draw a comparison, perhaps use our full kit that is all-OEM BMW?

B) In addition to claiming our product fails, you are using a personal anecdote lacking details to do so. A massive clarification being, were your rotors drilled or blank? Blanks like the OPs very rarely crack! Regardless, the OP does not track his M5 regularly (or really ever, as far as I know). Regardless of pad and rotor choice, this kit is 100% marketed loudly as a 'Street' upgrade. Taking something marketed for the street and finding a failure point on the track does not equal a product (Zimmerman's, not Angry *** Solutions'!) "failing to handle the workload for which it was designed".

This upgrade offers a BMW alternative to the heavier and more rare late E34 M5 floating brakes, and while it will perform admirably on the track, that is not the express goal of this kit and we make no claims about it. This makes your very specific criticisms and alternative offering quite irrelevant to this thread, IMO. Especially considering how serious our actual track options are, which I will touch on below.

C) This goes beyond the OP being a personal friend, but how is the OP supposed to take your post in any way other than "Bad choice, idiot, you should have done this instead"? I certainly didn't expect this level of low-brow internet one-up-manship from you, Toby, much less on M5Board. This isn't Bimmerforums!

We will stop defending ourselves and the OP in this thread now. We wanted to help defend OP, and also to ensure the record is straight on our actual product. But, I can't help but note that we in turn find your Compbrake and Hawk recommendations to be suspect for serious track-focused work. Hawk pads are typically suitable only for amateur or budget-oriented track drivers. In fact in US track-driving circles, the pads you list are actually considered 'starter' pads.

We won't speak to Compbrake as they are relatively unknown here, and I don't want to presume anything about them; but you get what you pay for, and Compbrake parts costs are equivalent to companies such as Stoptech and Wilwood.

In conclusion, to make one thing clear for readers of this thread. For a track-focused car, Angry *** offers the latest motorsports-grade AP Racing components, who have a sterling reputation worldwide earned through professional competition (and winning results), as well as a traceable supply chain in Western countries. If you want to go toe-to-toe on real track performance options, let us know, but proper motorsports solutions are never cheap, and this thread was not about track driving in the slightest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
8 Participants
215m3
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing