BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since the FM problem reception was confirmed by Dave at Custom angel eyes and promise a fix, as anyone got any words back from him? I sent my 4th attempt last week without getting a response again, support was fast and easy when it was time to purchase, now it is a very different thing... buyers beware.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
What exactly is the FM problem you are experiencing? I have my iBrights and haven't noticed any FM problems.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ipod :7:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jfenley said:
What exactly is the FM problem you are experiencing? I have my iBrights and haven't noticed any FM problems.
simple, when the angel eyes are on the FM reception is bad, quite bad, just switching on and off make a huge difference.

I guess I'll listen to FM daytime only...:rolleyes::M5eyes:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Don't have any FM problems with mine. That's strange.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Who did the install??

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,395 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bmw1986 said:
Of course it is; its more then a bulb...
still, it's a plug and play operation whatever if it's a bulb or a LED, can't go wrong installing it, IMHO, the question was not relevant to the subject!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
8 Posts
desualt said:
is this a relevant question? what difference does it make on who change a bulb??

Other post relating this problem with other members at Bimmerfest and the word confirming that Dave from Angelibright is aware of the problem:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=795191&postcount=76
The link at the link that you just linked is actually my post at bimmerfest.com. Up till recently, I just dealt with the FM static caused by the iBrights (and in my case, apparently sporadic FM drop out all together). After reading about the ferrite cores, I stopped by radioshack and picked up a set and installed them. An easy process, just remove the dust cover behind the Xenon bulbs, snap the core around the red wire (I'm guessing thats standard 'positive' in automotive) and reseal the dust cover. Started the car up and turned to the station normally obscured by the iBrights and it came in clear.

Just a note, this station came in clear in front my garage with the iBrights on prior to the Choke cores, so I won't know diffinitively until I go for an extended ride tomorrow. So for the moment, take this post with a grain of salt until I get a joyride in between household duties (raking leaves sucks).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Diagnostic

Update:Went for a ride today and it seemed like the ferrite chokes were cancelling out 90% of the static.

Got home and found a spot in my driveway where the static was bad and fiddled around with the choke's location on the wire.

Background information:
I live on the East coast (MD near DC) and the station I've been having issues with while the iBrights are on is 97.8 (98 Rock). iBrights off, FM quality (a little static but it's a weak station to begin with where I live. iBrights on, complete static washout in certain areas, AM quality in others. My car is an E60 non-M5 (545i), built in late 04 as MY05.

Diagnostic method:
1. Car set to "Run" position (right before ignition)
2. Driver-side Halo unplugged
3. Passenger-side halo experimental
4. Radio set to static station, volume turned up (to hear under the hood)
5. Single choke core tested around each wire

Outcome:
The ferrite choke core I bought from radioshack had zero effect on static interference induced by the iBrights. grrrrrrr

For those who do not have ibrights, the construction is as follows:
Two lead wires (Blue and white) come from the aftermarket bulb and go into a tiny black box. From that black box comes two more wires (red and black) and those wires are soldered and plastic-welded into a wire connector that mates to the factory power connector with wires coming from the BMW (Brown and white). Pictures can be found at this install thread

Method:
The Core was wrapped individually wrapped around Blue, White, Red, Black, Brown, White (in that order). Since that had no effect, I tested the wires in pairs; Blue/White (from bulb) Red/black (from box) and Brown/white (to car) which again had no effect. So I went bold and wrapped the wire around Blue/White and Red/black, which covered every wire at the location of the black box and still nothing.

Choke cores removed. If they're not helping, I'm not having them hurt anything either. Now I'm guessing that Dave at iBrights meant the positive (red wire from box) wire should have the core wrapped around it and not the positive wire from the car battery as I don't think any consumer availible choke core can wrap around that thick of a gauge.

Now it could be the choke core I bought from radioshack isn't as good as the one linked earlier, but I'm not paying S&H just for this test. With Aux input, Sat radio and a 6 disc CD changer, I'm not that upset about this, but I think if one pays $330 for a product, it should not have this kind of design defects in it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my update, from my experience, do not buy Angelibright, Dave seemed to have good will at first, but time pass and prove everything

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Customer Service doesnt prove itself when you want to buy something, you find out how good customer service is when something goes wrong! I thought it would be a no thought add on, but now I am seriously considering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well in my case, if all goes well, these ibrights will be finding a new home in an 07 X3 (Mom's new ride). She doesn't listen to that particular staiton so it won't be an issue with her. This of course, assumes the socket in the 07 X3 will be the same fit as the one in the 5 series. Murphy's law says it won't match, but here's hoping.

Because the entire headlight housing is such a jigsaw puzzle to get out, I'm going to wait for Umnitza to release their brighter variant in mid december. Then I'll just upgrade to their halo bulbs and update my 4300K xenon bulbs to 6000K while I'm in there.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bodaddy said:
Customer Service doesnt prove itself when you want to buy something, you find out how good customer service is when something goes wrong! I thought it would be a no thought add on, but now I am seriously considering.
That's it, Dave was very friendly and helpful when it was time to buy the stuff, but the minute I started to inquire about the problems I had with the kit he became silent, nothing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm in the same boat here. Been waiting forever for a resolution to the AngeliBright issue. E60orBust and I first found out together on bimmerfest a few months back. My user handle is jiio on bimmerfest. Looks like I'll be writing a update to the AngeliBright issue on e60.net as well. Some Customer Service you have there Dave... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts