BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with an 01+ car changed the color of their angel eyes. I'm looking to get them a little whiter, like DDE's on E46 cars. I'm not interester in aftermarket headlights or replacing them, I just want to change from the dull color they have now to a more vibrant bluish white. Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a damaged housing, I may try an experiment myself. I just don't want to buy a new housing or experiment on mine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have not done it but am consider doing the same.. As far as I can tell, they're just 2 standard LED light bulbs mounted to the 2 ends of the round housing. At least that's how some of the aftermarket ones are doing it. Seems like an easy mod you can do yourself.

Or some German eBay sellers are selling them for like $13 Euro...

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had purchased a set of Euro Hella Headlights just to get rid of the little bit of orange on the sides of the US version (worth every ebay penny I tell ya). Larry was right that it really is just tiny bulbs that light the angel eyes in the stock version. But I do not remember them to be LEDs. When I did the install I had played with them to see if I could replace it. The bulb is sitting in a reflector casing that can be removed from the headlight. It is able to rotate but no matter how I tried it wouldnt come out of the casing. I now have two sets of lights so I might take a dremell to the old set just to experiment :haha2: . Hoping someone might be able to make custom LEDs for it.

Unless of course there really is a way to remove the bulb from the casing. ouich

·
Registered
214 Posts
someday said:
Has anyone with an 01+ car changed the color of their angel eyes. I'm looking to get them a little whiter, like DDE's on E46 cars. I'm not interester in aftermarket headlights or replacing them, I just want to change from the dull color they have now to a more vibrant bluish white. Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a damaged housing, I may try an experiment myself. I just don't want to buy a new housing or experiment on mine.
I remember seeing someone selling a plastic filter or cover, kinda like colored Saran wrap that covers the bulb assembly and changes the color. Say to red or blue. I agree, after doing a high beam and fog light upgrade the Eyes look a little dull and yellow. I'd even go for blue just so it gets a little closer to the Xenon or the upgrade. I had to replace one of these bulbs and I remember the dealer saying it comes as an assembly. Just like the fog lights.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
replacing the angel eye light bulb is a fairly easy thing to do, but the holder and the bulb are complete one piece (only 1 bulb per side). You can carefully remove the bulb from its holder, using some careful cutting.

They are very low voltage/rating 5w (can't recall exact no), but have seen melted holders even with a simple upgrade to 10w.

I opened up my lights and replaced the whole angel eye light with some CCFL tubing which is way better than stock and match the xenon lights nicely.

clicky here for info

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I have played with the angel eyes from time to time and the bayonette bulb is 5 watts and can be replaced by itself. You do need to be careful when removing it because the surrounding holder would be easy to break, thus allowing moisture into the headlight housing.

I have seen the brighter bluish angel eyes on an M3 that made the conversion. I do like the look, but you will lose the effect of the angel eyes when the headlights are on. When you have just the foglights on it is very nice looking. I just have a difficult time justifing the cost for this color change.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts