BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
How are you able to run the Halo LED's like that as your DRL? On my 2003 M5, the DRL is the high beam bulb run at a lower wattage and the halos only come on when I turn on the parking lights. Would love to do away with the high beam DRL and have the halos only instead. TIA.
You can do it via hard wiring - though that can produce an error message or you can do what roarf has stated here using PA, ISTA, or NCS.

Or you can have someone local to you code it or remotely.

It's a simple coding change if you have PA Soft and probably NCS Expert as well. Or if you have an Intravee it can be done through that (at least to enable AEs as DRLs.. I don't think it can turn off the high beam DRLs).
Most indy mechanics should be able to disable the DRL pretty easily - using a snap-on unit or anythng similar. I think even bimmercode and Carly will do it pretty easily as well.

For the US/NA MY2003 headlight assembly, the "halo" bulb also illuminates the corner light. The high-beam DRLs can be programmed off in the LCM using any one of the programming ("coding") software options available. The front parking lights can be turned on always also acting as DRLs.

To have only the halos on all of the time you will have to install a relay and find a switched ignition power source for which instructions are found in the forum. Umnitza may even sell a harness to facilitate this.
yes, we have a relay that supports it:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can do it via hard wiring - though that can produce an error message or you can do what roarf has stated here using PA, ISTA, or NCS.

Or you can have someone local to you code it or remotely.

Most indy mechanics should be able to disable the DRL pretty easily - using a snap-on unit or anythng similar. I think even bimmercode and iCarly will do it pretty easily as well.

yes, we have a relay that supports it:)
Can you provide a link to the relay in question?

Thanks all for the responses. I'm a pretty experienced DIY'er but know nothing about these software/coding tricks. Didn't have these on the older Acura/Lexus/Toyota that I used to drive. Gonna spend some time reading up on this. Any local MAssholes able and willing to demonstrate how this works?

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
One of the aftermarket LED halo bulbs went out in the 2002 M5 I just purchased. What is the current (7/2018) recommendation for LED halo bulbs? I'm just looking for a nice bright white replacement with no code issues. Plug and play fitment.
I got new LEDs with the euro hella headlights I just ordered :grin
LOL - I just realized the original post was made by the guy I bought the M5 from. :thankyou:

·
Registered
539 Posts
For the US/NA MY2003 headlight assembly, the "halo" bulb also illuminates the corner light. The high-beam DRLs can be programmed off in the LCM using any one of the programming ("coding") software options available. The front parking lights can be turned on always also acting as DRLs.

To have only the halos on all of the time you will have to install a relay and find a switched ignition power source for which instructions are found in the forum. Umnitza may even sell a harness to facilitate this.
Not sure if this is clear to others but the front corner light cannot be shut off independently of the halos with physical modification to the headlight. As you said, the halo bulb illuminates both (via fiber optics). I'm not sure what the purpose of the relay harness would be with the stock facelift headlights.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How are you able to run the Halo LED's like that as your DRL? On my 2003 M5, the DRL is the high beam bulb run at a lower wattage and the halos only come on when I turn on the parking lights. Would love to do away with the high beam DRL and have the halos only instead. TIA.
If I remember correctly, can't you use a used LCM-IV that will have the option for DRL Halos?

With the LCM-IIIB that I bought used for my automatic headlight retrofit, I needed to write the VIN to the LCM, reset the milage to 0(Both using PA-Soft), and recode the unit for the cars default settings before setting custom options (using NCS Expert). I presume setting up a LCM-IV is similar, but someone with actual experience could chime in.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Not sure if this is clear to others but the front corner light cannot be shut off independently of the halos with physical modification to the headlight. As you said, the halo bulb illuminates both (via fiber optics). I'm not sure what the purpose of the relay harness would be with the stock facelift headlights.
I was saying you could make the parking lights be on all of the time via software. This would turn on the taillights as well. Actually, I think you can just turn on the front parking lamps come to think about it. Anyway, the relay would be to only turn on the front parking lamps only with the ignition if the software option was unavailable.

You did reiterate my point that without physical (internal) modification to the facelift headlights, the corner light will be illuminated if the halos are.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
"cotton" rings are nothing more than opaque cheap plastic that is formed over an existing board. They are relatively poor quality unless you have no choice, stay clear of those.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well apparently these ones are the best

Seems insanely expensive, especially if the light comes from the bulb and not the rings.
What's the point of replacing the rings, have them light up a bit brighter?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Well apparently these ones are the best

Seems insanely expensive, especially if the light comes from the bulb and not the rings.
What's the point of replacing the rings, have them light up a bit brighter?
They are the best because we make them - www.umnitza.com

They are expensive compared to other units, but they last 10X longer, are easily 2X brighter, and are much much much more reliable. They simply don't burn out like all the other also-rans that have been build over the last 12 years since they were introduced. Also, they are the most OE looking units there are.
The reason to replace? They are brighter and better looking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Somewhat confusing that rings are showing as 131mm in diameter
However the right diameter size for e39 2001-2003 is 127.5mm and earlier versions are 131mm.
Or will the 131mm still fit fine?
I understand to change the color of the rings is just a matter of changing the bulb. Or do these rings come in different colors?
I thought red or yellow could look better than white

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Somewhat confusing that rings are showing as 131mm in diameter
However the right diameter size for e39 2001-2003 is 127.5mm and earlier versions are 131mm.
Or will the 131mm still fit fine?
I understand to change the color of the rings is just a matter of changing the bulb. Or do these rings come in different colors?
I thought red or yellow could look better than white
it's not about sizes, the Orion V2 and V4 11X rings fits the E39s from 1997-2003 all the way through.
Multicolor requires different rings if you want that.

if you want our new wifi rings, they are pricy but work very well here:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've seen this listing actually. The only reason I didn't order is because it lists compatibility for E39 as 1997-2000.
Why does it not include 2001-2003.
Would've ordered already, but then had second thoughts. There must be a reason specific years are included...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, it's still in process of being updated as we move to a new site, but yes, it does fit E39 2001-2003, but only if you can open your headlights.
If I change facelift E39's OE angels eyes to Orion V4s, what will I have as my front parking lights? As the Orion's appear to be properly bright enough for DRLs, they clearly must be way to bright to be used as parking lights (at night) unless there is a way to dim them.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
If I change facelift E39's OE angels eyes to Orion V4s, what will I have as my front parking lights? As the Orion's appear to be properly bright enough for DRLs, they clearly must be way to bright to be used as parking lights (at night) unless there is a way to dim them.
if you have MY 2000, most people cut the wire for the parking light and use the OV2 or OV4 as their parking lights.
If you have MY 01+, most people just use the same plug as the OE wires and the OV2 or OV4 are the parking lights along with the same turn signal bulb at 6Volts.

OV2 have optional night control feature for dimming
OV4 have included the dimming feature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you have MY 2000, most people cut the wire for the parking light and use the OV2 or OV4 as their parking lights.
If you have MY 01+, most people just use the same plug as the OE wires and the OV2 or OV4 are the parking lights along with the same turn signal bulb at 6Volts.

OV2 have optional night control feature for dimming
OV4 have included the dimming feature.
So they are dimmable - cool! How do you dim them in day to day life?

I also have E46 with aftermarket angel eyes. They are wired so, that they get signal from ECU to illuminate but shut off if parking lights are getting power. So they work quite perfectly as DRL automatically.

Is there a way to set OV2/4 in facelift E39 to funtion in a similiar manner, but with E39 angel eyes would just dim to non-blinding level for night time use when for example parking lights are getting power?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts