BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, all the threads were two years or older and since LED's have evolved in that time I wanted to see what brand and types folks are using.

I picked up a pair of 6W 7000k's on Amazon. No codes, no flickering but they are two different colors. Plans are to return them and see what else is available. Maybe just exchange them and hope for better luck? What are you using?

·
Registered
617 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've not heard of Weisslicht but they look similar quality to the MTEC, be interesting to compare side by side but difficult to do with photos because of the variable around ambient light when the photo is taken.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
This is what your new bulbs shine on to produce the AE ring.

It's a fiber optic head that feeds the 5 different locations(2 in each AE and 1 for the corner light).

And this is what slips inside the AE ring.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the price of these other kits, I just ordered a second set. Will try to get a complete matching pair out of the two and return the others.

·
Registered
82 Posts
E39 Halo LEDs - What's best in 2018?

One of the aftermarket LED halo bulbs went out in the 2002 M5 I just purchased. What is the current (7/2018) recommendation for LED halo bulbs? I'm just looking for a nice bright white replacement with no code issues. Plug and play fitment.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Our ICE VXX remains one of the best options. 1 year warranty is $99, lifetime is $149.99 - can do free shipping on your order if you mention this forum.
How are you able to run the Halo LED's like that as your DRL? On my 2003 M5, the DRL is the high beam bulb run at a lower wattage and the halos only come on when I turn on the parking lights. Would love to do away with the high beam DRL and have the halos only instead. TIA.

·
Registered
539 Posts
How are you able to run the Halo LED's like that as your DRL? On my 2003 M5, the DRL is the high beam bulb run at a lower wattage and the halos only come on when I turn on the parking lights. Would love to do away with the high beam DRL and have the halos only instead. TIA.
It's a simple coding change if you have PA Soft and probably NCS Expert as well. Or if you have an Intravee it can be done through that (at least to enable AEs as DRLs.. I don't think it can turn off the high beam DRLs).

Reactions: lhommec13

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
For the US/NA MY2003 headlight assembly, the "halo" bulb also illuminates the corner light. The high-beam DRLs can be programmed off in the LCM using any one of the programming ("coding") software options available. The front parking lights can be turned on always also acting as DRLs.

To have only the halos on all of the time you will have to install a relay and find a switched ignition power source for which instructions are found in the forum. Umnitza may even sell a harness to facilitate this.

Reactions: lhommec13
1 - 20 of 47 Posts