BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a follow-on to my brake rotor question...

What experience do you folks have with parking brake shoes? I need to replace mine. OEM seem expensive to me while others (Wagner, Wearever, Beck Arnley, ATE, Pagid, etc etc) are quite a bit cheaper.

Two main questions - first, do the other brands truly fit properly, and second, I can't find ANY reference with any of them whether they're sold it pairs (for one side) or in sets of four (for both sides of the car).

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I would only use high performance parking OEM brake shoes purchased from a BMW dealer, but I am sort of a purist. :rofl:

The other brands fit just fine and most are sold in complete sets.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Being as parking and holding the car still are the most critical performance maneuver we do in our M5's I'd buy only the most expensive brake shoes you can find LOL.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Have you visually confirmed that the parking pads are shot? I've never had to replace mine. Just have to adjust them from them to time. I'm at a little over 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Have you visually confirmed that the parking pads are shot? I've never had to replace mine. Just have to adjust them from them to time. I'm at a little over 100k miles.
Really, good point. I've had several cars well over 100K miles, with handbrake centre drum brake on the rear and the shoes never were worn. Unless someone has been doing handbrake (J) turns they should never really have any wear. Or they're poorly adjusted and rubbing?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They were misadjusted. My fault, and I'm paying for it.

I was specifically asking about fitment, not "performance." I don't even know what the hell "performance" parking brake shoes would be, though I once saw a similar product for sale for my old Nissan, from Project Mu. I know sometimes aftermarket kits don't meet the exact size/shape specs of OEM, hence my question. I had a good laugh from some of the answers above though ;)

I picked up a set of Duralast shoes. I've had very good experiences with their stuff on a number of other cars, so I guess I'll guinea-pig these on my M5 and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Do you really think that AutoZone can engineer something for a BMW?

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the question was "can they be found cheaper and if so will they fit." To me $70 seems like a lot for what you're buying in this case, let alone $100 or more list price.

It's moot - I'll be eating Rao's sarcasm with a large helping of crow. The $30 Duralast shoes don't fit; I suspect they're a more "universal" part than they'll admit. The holes for the retainers at 3 and 9 o'clock are too small, and the shape of the upper part of the shoe doesn't mate correctly with the clip on the end of the brake cable. So, they'll be going back.

I was also trying to source the parts locally more quickly than ECS/Tischer/whoever can ship to me. Just trying to avoid down-time in the nice weather. C'est la vie - this isn't my first rodeo, and I knew these might not work...

And now to a couple other comments/questions.To answer the question above, the factory shoes are glazed beyond all hope of function, which removes any question about why the brake wouldn't hold on a slope. I pulled the driver's side apart (leaving the passenger for reference) - the front-pointing shoe is down to the metal and the rearward shoe has a bit of friction material but it's smooth as a bowling ball. Either the brake was terribly misadjusted sometime in the past or one of the previous owners of the car liked to use it to stop regularly. Or do e-brake turns. I'm at least not that dumb ;)

So, the question - I read somewhere that between the two pieces of the adjuster at the bottom of the assembly there should be a spring. There was NO spring when I took my driver's side ebrake apart; I can't find a spring on any part diagram, it just lists the adjuster itself. Should the adjusters have a spring inside, or do I not need to worry about that?

Thanks for the help so far - looks like I'll be sourcing different shoes at higher cost and longer wait-time :(

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'd vote for getting the ATE ones from Pelican. ATE makes the OEM calipers I know that's what is on mine. Probably the closest you'll get to OEM without buying BMW. If you buy a couple of oil filters too than that will put you over $75 and get you free shipping or maybe even 3 day shipping for $3. Just wait for them to come in and then work on the car when you get them.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
If the shoes didn't fit, then they gave you the wrong ones. I absolutely guarantee that there is no magic about M5 parking shoes.

There are springs top and bottom.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but it is unseemly seeing an M5 owner trying to cut corners by saving money. Maybe you would be more comfortable with a lesser e39 or even a lesser vehicle.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What can I say? The part number on the box was correct. While it's true I've had good luck with Duralast parts, I admit some have been wrong. A good example is the rotors I needed for a Mazda at one point; Mazda changed from 4-lug to 5-lug hubs halfway through the model run, but Duralast kept selling the 4-lug rotors. This was, in my experience at least, an exception - so I felt at $30 for the set of brake shoes it was certainly worth a try. They're already returned, I've got my money back, no harm done but a little time.

As for the diagrams, I already saw the springs top and bottom when I disassembled the hub last night, to find the hopelessly worn factory shoes I've already described. I was asking about a spring inside the adjuster, which doesn't seem to exist despite the reference I found. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong (again).

Rao - thanks for your welcoming attitude. Always nice to feel so accepted.

ATE shoes on order, should arrive tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
There is no spring inside of the adjuster.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Got my OEM set from Autohausaz.com

My old pads . LOL

O and that silver stuff, just galvanizing paint, should of took the rotor off, but decided to just tape it off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts