BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just the other day, I was thinking about how much I'd miss playing with my "toys" meaning my model cars. But then I thought, it's no fun playing with cars that don't move and then I got to thinking how much fun it'd be if I were to get back into RC car modeling. And so, I dug up my long delayed project of putting together my M5 model.

I've also ordered a whole bunch of parts along with the HPI RS4 Pro 4 kit.

This time I went with the electric version. Not as fast but also not quite as messy and fussy to deal with.

The last time around I went with the RS4 Nitro version (which is the gas powered version)

The thing about these things is that it's VERY easy to get carried away on hopping up these models. I must have spent over $4000 on the gas powered model! I just hope I don't get carried away again! I guess you could compare that to "modding" our beloved beast although the price per mod ratio is MUCH lower!

The biggest surprise is that they're able to get 1 hp from a gas powered motor that's only .12 cc! And here we have the S62 engine that has 394 hp from almost 5000 cc.

This is going to be a FUN project! Stay tuned as I update you folks on my progress.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gas powered McLaren F1 was clocked at 74 mph the last time I ran her...now that's FAST! :hihi:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have the same one. I tuned it and put some BBS Lm's on it and had my body shop paint it Carbon Black. It looks exactly like my M5. I call it (wiat for it).... Mini Me!

I paced mine last year along side of my truck and clocked it at 52MPH.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Manny :byebye:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Last year, I bought and built an electric RC M5 model for my husband. He already had a gas RC off-roader model, but never really had the chance to use it (plus it would have really po'd our neighbors. . .). So I went with the electric, thinking I was sacrificing higher top speed for greater likelihood of use

Bought the electric chassis from one outfit. Bought rims that looked pretty close to the OEM wheels from another outfit, as well as tires. Got an M5 shell from yet another outfit that was custom painted in black so as to match our real, live Beast. However, I had to do all of the assembly and detail work myself.

So every day for a week, during lunch, you would find me in my office with an exacto-type knife and a borer, trimming all the plastic bits, boring all the holes, assembling the various pieces, cutting all of the stickers from the uncut decal sheet, c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y putting the trim stickers on. Bought two sheets of trim decals, just in case I screwed something up (which, of course, I did. . . ) Realized that I hadn't purchased the liners that go between the rims and the wheels, and the pins to hold the shell to the chassis until it was so close to his birthday that I had to have a bunch of $2 parts fed-exed to my office. (!)

My colleagues at work would open my office door, take a look at the crazy woman up to her armpits in plastic parts and sticky stuff, holding an exacto knife, and flee.

By the time I was done, it was truly a thing of beauty. Looked about as close to the real thing as you could get. Charged up the batteries, wrapped her all up, and brought her home to give to the hubby for his birthday.

He was delighted. Unfortunately, he had the thing out and running for all of about 30 seconds when he ran it full tilt into the bottom of a piece of furniture and wrecked it! Damaged the plastic body shell beyond repair.

The only thing I could think of was "well, now that he's wrecked the model M5, maybe he won't do the same to the real one!" :nono:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts