BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

An expensive month of ownership....

4K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  JimBeemer 
#1 ·
When it rains it pours!

My car was experiencing some intermittent power loss coinciding with an SES light so I took her in for diagnosis and repair a couple weeks ago. I was about a thousand miles away from being due for an oil service so I added that in. Below is a list of what was done during that appointment.

• Replaced Bank 1 and 2 Intake Camshaft Position Sensors
  • Oil and Filter Service
  • Time Sert Oil Pan due to Stripping Threads (I've already replaced the oil pan once because of this)
  • Update DME to latest version
I'm honestly too embarrassed to tell you what the bill was for this visit. Needless to say I've found a new INDY shop.

I mentioned in another thread that while my car was in for that appointment I had a look underneath when it was on the lift and noticed that my flex disk was very badly cracked and needed to be replaced a.s.a.p. My (old) INDY quoted me $800 for parts and labor. That was when I decided to go elsewhere.

Today I did a brake fluid flush and also had the flex disk taken care of at my new INDY shop for half the quoted price of my previous. They've informed me that not only is my differential leaking (I suspect it may be the rear main seal?)....but also that my front brake pads have 2mm remaining and my rotors are dished. GREAT.

So, the bad news is that my beast is literally costing me thousands of dollars to own this month...but the good news is that I now have a perfect opportunity to upgrade to a StopTech BBK, and will likely do so very soon. My rear rotors are in good shape so I will only upgrade the front and keep the OEM rear setup with new pads.

I was supposed to do a rock chip touch up, polish, and full frontal clear bra this month, but all the crap that's been dropped in my lap means I'll have to keep putting it off. All in all, it's been a frustrating couple weeks of ownership in which I feel like I'm trying to plug a leak to no avail. These cars can be a real p.i.t.a. sometimes.

Luckily for me, while it definitely puts a big strain on my budget, I can survive it and love my car no matter what. It's worth every penny to me in the end....

As I always share the good, I thought I would share some of the bad as well.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
A rough month indeed. I just recently ran into the leaking differential/seal issue myself. Needless to say, I feel your pain, but I agree with your stance. Once the initial sting went away, you go right back to loving the damn car. Here's to smoother sailing for a while.

#7 ·
Luckily you live in ....lemme see...Oh, "EARTH".... so at least the labor rates are pretty decent.

Ditto on the DIY for the BBK and pads/rotors.

Unfortunately I wouldn't even know where to begin on a brake kit swap, nor do I have a garage at my current residence or the proper tool sets. Perhaps it's easier than I would assume? I will look into it....I have a friend that is actually very mechanically adept who I'm sure would be willing to help out.

In any event the labor rates at my new INDY are much better...I really don't mind paying for regular maintenance needs like oil services etc. I knew this car would be expensive, my current rant is just motivated by the fact that so many unexpected things are coming up at once.

This being my daily driver and my only car...and also having a lack of resources and knowledge, it's tough for me to perform DIY maintenance. Luckily I am still in my twenties, single, and have no kids...so while I won't be eating out as much for the next few weeks....I'll survive and still get to keep my dream car. :biggrin:

#5 · (Edited)
+1 on the brake DIY. I had a tire shop mount my new tires about 6 months ago and they told me my front brakes and rotors were shot. Their estimate to do just the front with OEM rotors and pads was almost $900. I replaced all four corners with Centric Powerslots, Stoptech pads and new pad sensors (front sensor had been mostly chewed through) for a few hundred less than that and the brakes are noticeably stronger.

#6 · (Edited)
Don't start me on a 'who spent more on their beast repairs this month' argument.. I will win. :hihi:

However, mine was mostly preventative and not required repairs like yours. I know it's rough but use the opportunities to make upgrades and your beast will repay you for it. Friday instead of replacing a leaking P/S hose with OEM for $100 + labor, I am having it replaced with a cooler and high end hose and fittings for about the same price. There are always neat opportunities!

#13 · (Edited)
Don't start me on a 'who spent more on their beast repairs this month' argument.. I will win. :hihi:
Nope,me wins.....:S

Picking up engine parts and engine assembly time this month....

Just kiddin,anyway...

Yep,some of the month of M5 ownership are pretty bad(for the wallet).

But as you said,sometimes the need of replacement justifies upgrades(BBK)!

#8 ·
Sorry to hear, Jonathan. Just curious -- who is your current indy? For the work my friend Tommy and I didn't feel like doing on my car, I always took it to Parker at Broad Stroke Associates just south of Snohomish. He is extremely knowledgeable and his labor rates are very reasonable.

#10 ·
+1, on Eastside Bavarian, nothing but good things from these guys. When I am back in town you can have full access to my facility (lift, all tools, +++). I do pretty much everything myself. Ownership of the M5 is a great hobby and this should extend to all necessary work as well. shot me a PM or email if you want some assistance, I would be happy to help (in May-ish).

#21 ·
Ahh the Joys of owning the BEAST

#24 ·
Ive had many many Months of expensive repairs ( 8 years of ownership)

Get some stoptechs you can change your pads in 20 mins including removing the wheels !!!

Reactions: Terabass
#26 ·
New used set of oem wheels, winter tire, temperature sensor, and bank 2 VANOS. Yup, this has been a bad stretch here, too ;). Wife's Audi got timing belt done this morning too. Yikes.

#32 ·
I feel your pain! It seems to me if you own one of these long enough there will be months like that. I took mine in last year for a vibration after I hit a small pot hole, they replaced the wheel and tire, found I had a bad guibo and slightly bent driveshaft which they replaced, they also replaced the FSU, changed the oil and filter, and then the next month, the thermostat went bad. Knock on wood, I've gone several months and almost 10,000 miles with nothing but a little preventative maintenance on my own to include the fuel filter and radiator hoses. In my opinion, it's been worth every penny, because nothing drives like or is as much to drive as the E39 M5 IMHO! I look at this as a racing car in luxury clothing and race cars require more maintenance than the average car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.