BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It disheartens me to read of so many unpleasant BMW service related experiences by other board members so I feel compelled to post my exemplary service just two days ago at Park Place Motorcars in Rochester, Minnesota. I did not originally order/purchase my M5 from this dealership.

This past Spring, while accompanying a friend to this dealership to take delivery of his new X5, I had the opportunity to talk with the one and only BMW Master Tech there, and was greatly impressed with his knowledge and expertise. Since he is the only tech authorized to work on BMWs in a dealership which also handles VWs and Audis, I decided to take my M5 in for him to do an oil/filter change at 4790 miles on the clock.

From the initial phone call to schedule the appoitment, to the contact with the Service Advisor A.J. I was treated with utmost courtesy and professionalism, and A.J. even remembered my visit from many months previously. Jeff, the Master Tech, spent an incredible amount of time on my car, changing my oil from 5w-30 to 10w-60 without question, as well as the oil filter and both cabin microfilters and checking tire pressures and fluids, topping off the super-wash fluid. I spent over 45 minutes with Jeff in the service bay while my car was up on the hoist, and Jeff pointed out many interesting aspects of our M5. It was the most enjoyable service experience I have had to date on any of my vehicles.

The service interval lights were not reset, and the service was written up as a N/C first oil change! My service advisor A.J. shares a lifelong interest in motorcars, and we even discussed the exploits of Jim Clark in his Jaguar D-Type. Needless to say I will be returning to Park Place Motorcars for all of my future BMW service needs, as it is extremely reassuring to me to have the SAME Master Tech work on my car. Continuity of care, if you will. A.J. did not solicit an "Excellent" response from me vis-a-vis the BMW service questionnaire...because he did not have to.

While this service experience may be an exception rather than the rule, it illustrates what is POSSIBLE with BMW service. Perhaps it pays to seek out smaller dealerships and interview their staff, and only give our business to those that deliver the same quality experience that we expect from our cars.

:cheers:

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
Regrettably we often only hear about the bad service experiences - although there are many more good services experiences. Nice to hear about yours!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not all have heard of my experience.

My dealer , whom I did not buy the car from, recently had my car for 3 months to fix something I was not even aware of.

There was some sort of timing problem with the engine unrelated to the driver. It appears to have been an odd factory problem of some sort.

By the time it was all sorted out, I had two new vanos units, new valves, new lifters, new sensors all the way around, two new mafs, even a new radiator they said had a very slight leak. All those parts and the immense labor involved cost me nothing. The car was 2 months out of warranty, and had just over 29K on it. And no, it is not a CPO car.

They kept me well informed throughout the process as to their progress, and difficulties, so I also learned quite a bit about the difficulties of diagnosing this car. Once the computer stops giving useful data, it's still basically a try this try that approach. Not all those parts were replaced at once and the pattern they were changed in caused a great deal of labor to be eaten up. BMW NA was involved on a technical level as well.

Then when I picked up the car, they told me the next time it comes in for scheduled service I will get a free detailing, and they apologised for the time it took to fix it.

They even went to the trouble before I picked it up to check EVERYTHING out on the car, interior, suspension, brakes, electrical, you name it. Car now has a glowing perfect report card, and a practically new engine. When they test drove the car they even checked the clutch engagement for me, and as I suspected, it was still grabbing hard, no slippage yet.

I dont know how typical this experience was, or how unique the circumstances were, but I think I got treated more than fairly, albeit, with a long repair time. This dealer has a loyal customer from now on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts