BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, I just had a perfect Easter Sunday: A test drive with the new E60 M5 on the RDW testrack next to Lelystad airport in The Netherlands:
http://www.rdw.nl/eng/02_diensten/02_ondernemingen/01_tcl/index_asp.htm

As already mentioned by Waltr in another thread, BMW had brought 3 M5's (Silverstone II, Silver Grey and Interlagos) to the track for their customers to experience the new car with an experienced racedriver and also for driving themself.

Me and my friend were invited to drive the Interlagos (belgian plates) and it was just awesome. First the instructor took us to the Oval where he showed us the features of the car and then we did two high speed rounds on the oval of the testtrack.
- First, taking off was already something of an experience, it is just burtal how this car takes off.
- Then arriving at the first corner of the oval is something unreal when you have never done this before, the car was still accelerating through th first corner coming out at 210KMH.
- The instructor then explains in the video how the car pushes up to 260KMH, the sound was just GREAT!!!-
- We are driving 260KMH when we hit the second corner of the oval and I could really feal the G forces, amazing experience.

Movie one:

http://home.planet.nl/~frans290/E60M5oval.mpg

- Next round was the same only after exiting the second corner we we slowed down to 200KMH for an emergency stop.
- Let me tell you, this car STOPS!!!! You cannot compare the break of this car with my current E39 M5. The break force was incredible and that after already three days of driving with that car on thr RDW track.

Movie 2:

http://home.planet.nl/~frans290/E60M5ovalbreak.mpg

After this round it was up to me to drive around the track, the first corner was a weird experience as your brain tells you to slow down but you just have to keep the car high in the corners and it just sticks to the ground, really very nice.

Now I really cannot wait till end May anymore, this is a car out of another league, the supercars!!

Here also some pics of the old(mine) and the coming(to be)

Have fun watching the videos :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Awesome videos... Sounds really great!!

I wish they would do such things in Denmark too :'(

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Thanks for sharing Vic. Sounds great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Thats awesome!

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Thanks for the pics and video! Great video with the high-speed oval!
Thanks again and all pics are welcome on the new M5, we want more ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Vic said:
Next round was the same only after exiting the second corner we we slowed down to 200KMH for an emergency stop.
- Let me tell you, this car STOPS!!!! You cannot compare the break of this car with my current E39 M5. The break force was incredible and that after already three days of driving with that car on thr RDW track.
Thanks. Always nice to read a first hand experience about the car. Nice to know the brakes are NOT a worry.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zzzzMD said:
Thanks, very, very cool! :cool: Couldn't tell whether that car had head-up display or not. Did you prefer shifting with the paddles as opposed to the shifter stalk? :cheers:
The car had headup display but I only looked at it when driving away, after that I had to put my attention to the steering in the corners.
I only used the paddles, when driving fast in and out corners it feel more secure to keep your hands on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Wow, what a great experience. Thanks for posting.:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Awesome... you guys in Europe get so lucky! The pic of the rears of the E39 and the E60 make the old one look so dated.. gosh, how time evolves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts