BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking into purchasing an M5. The BMW dealership near the office has a 2000 M5 with 22k miles on it. They want $44k for it. I plan on taking a cruise over there in the Cobra in a little while to check it out. Assuming it's in good shape, is $44k a good price for a Mr w/ 22k miles? Also, what should I look for upon inspection?

Thanks in advance!
--Matt

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not a bad price for those miles, especially at a dealership. Check to see if it is a certified pre-owned and whether it is still under warranty. They can pull up service history at a BMW dealership. See if there has been any body work. (feel the fender seams under the hood, trunk, and door jambs) See if clutch has been replaced. Also, check to see if the gauges are grey or black. They had problems w/ the black 2000 gauges and many were changed to the gray under warranty. You may want to search elsewhere on the forum for other things to look out for. Good luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Everything they said :hihi: Definately go with a CPO car if you can since it makes going to the dealer for service/parts alot easier and normally free. $44K sounds like a fair price by CA standards but I'm not sure about your area. I sold my beautiful Cobra - - 98 Atlantic Blue Vert, a few years ago with 430rwhp and wish I hadn't :sad1: Let us know how it goes....Good luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Matt:

I paid $49K w/ 27K and got the CPO & a tee shirt.:hihi:

Look for:

Clutch slipping.
All maintenence records.
Get the CPO.
Constant whine on AM radio band. Not the normal 60Hz interference from power lines, but a constant whine. It is really annoying.
TSB # 650300 DEC 00 Radio - Whine On AM Band
Have them drop the belly pan.
Look for any seal leaking especially the rear tranny seal.
VANOS oil backflow valve. MY 2000 cars have this issue. Won't damage the VANOS, but...
Missing pixels on instrument cluster.
Out of date BMW M Mobility system (in trunk)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ahhh the beauty of living in SoCal :confused3 I took my 01 in a few months ago to get an exhaust cam sensor replaced at BMW of San Diego and they had a CPO'd 01 with 40K miles for $60K...Crazy!!!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Carefully check into MY 2001 versus 2001... the price diff will be pretty small- and my understanding is the changes significant. Search here for "2001 vs. 2000" (or variants)

·
Registered
212 Posts
BGKBCK said:
Ahhh the beauty of living in SoCal :confused3 I took my 01 in a few months ago to get an exhaust cam sensor replaced at BMW of San Diego and they had a CPO'd 01 with 40K miles for $60K...Crazy!!!
I know what you mean - I bought mine in San Diego as well. Most of the one's I found were in the mid-$50's++, so when I found mine for $10k less I thought it was a bargain!

·
Registered
172 Posts
It was a silver one? If so, I test drove it. Wasn't perfect - especially at that price. Some scuffs here and there on the paint and the leather.

I eventually had to take a flight to Phoenix to pick mine up. Much cheaper and the drive back through the desert was perfect to wind her up!

BGKBCK said:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yep that was it! Funny thing is the service manager asked me how much I paid for mine since it I had only had it for a few months...I chuckled and said not $60K :hihi:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... I checked it out. It looks good for the most part. It does have the black gauges. The silver trim on the shift knob was peeling off as well on the parking brake handle. The salesman did say they would replace those two items for free. The front bumper may have been repainted. I could feel and see small bumps in the clear coat. Other than that, it looked clean. I didn't test drive it. Didn't feel like taking it out in the rain. One thing I just don't understand is why it has a tape deck. That is like, so 90s.. :) Hopefully the weather is better next week so I can take her for a test drive. I would do it tomorrow, but the Cobra is getting dyno'd.

Thanks for the replies.

--Matt

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
mmars said:
I am currently looking into purchasing an M5. The BMW dealership near the office has a 2000 M5 with 22k miles on it. They want $44k for it. I plan on taking a cruise over there in the Cobra in a little while to check it out. Assuming it's in good shape, is $44k a good price for a Mr w/ 22k miles? Also, what should I look for upon inspection?

Thanks in advance!
--Matt
I paid $39K for an 00 with many upgrades "BUT" no CPO....
If it's a CPO, beat them up to $43 or walk away....

Vic

·
Registered
287 Posts
mmars said:
CPO? Sorry for my ignorance.

--Matt
Certified Pre Owned. Comes with BMW Preowned warranty. Not as extensive as original warranty but covers all major items. Makes it easier to have warranty work done as well as there is no going thru a third party warranty company.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
mmars said:
CPO? Sorry for my ignorance.

--Matt
"Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle; e.g., warranty (with a co-pay) up to 6 years (total from when the car was purchased) or 100k miles. The clutch is usually considered a "wear" item and is not officially covered under the CPO warranty.

All US M5's have tape players in the dash instead of CD players because they all have the NAV system. BMW did not want to pay for designing a CD player that works with the NAV system because by the time in-dash CD players became standard, the E39's run was almost at an end. There is usually a 6-CD changer in the trunk and there's always ipod!

Good luck!

Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahh... yeah I hear you about the CD player and the end of a model. My daily driver is a Ford SVT Contour and they sure could have put in some better stuff. However, I did buy the last model year.

It wasn't a CPO, but I could buy an extended warranty for it. At least that's what they said.

I think I'm going to keep looking.

Thanks again!

--Matt

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
The 2000 model has the tape deck visible since it has the small Nav screen. On the 2001 and up models, the tape deck is hidden behind the large Nav screen.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow !! Now I feel like I got a great deal on my 00 M5.. I paid $ 32,000 with 46k miles.. I just hope I can import it into California.. Its German Spec..:byebye:

·
Registered
767 Posts
boplaw said:
They had problems w/ the black 2000 gauges and many were changed to the gray under warranty. .
There were no problems that didn't occur with any other year guage, and the black looks better anyways.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts