BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have moved to FL in 2000, I had never seen an E39 M5. I live in the Melbourne/Brevard area and I spend most of my road time driving at night (90 miles a day/night average) delivering newspapers or just cruising.

It was about 7AM still dark outside; and I just passed I-95 on Eau Gallie blvd heading west at about 60mph (don't know actual speed limit of road) and I'm having a rough night, minds full of stress with taxes, new girlfriend (Not too sure about her), a busted toe, and too much money unnecessarily spent this week.

I'm in the left lane, enjoying the oddly strange lack of traffic in it, and the whole turning lane to my right is practically filled and doing about 40 mph back to back.

I see a silver BMW with 5series shape/trim, and as with all BMW's I ever see, I look at the rear to catch the model in hopes of "seeing" an M5. Still in the left lane, no traffic behind or ahead, I expect to see just a 5 series or such...

But no,...? the emblem looks too close together to be a 5series, My mind/heart starts to shimmer with excitement, I press hard on the brakes in my boat of an oldsmobile to match the slowing turning lane to my right (no traffic behind me :p) and the driver of the BMW gives me this look of "Now whats this guy doing?" (I would have too if it were my baby) and as I catch view of the rear insignia, my eyes widen, my jaw slackens, and I cannot believe it is an M5!!!! I was so awestruck that I couldn't re-match the speed of the BMW and stayed behind the rear bumper. I took in all the beautiful eyecandy I could, admiring the style and fact that such an amazing car, my dream car (My passion goes out fully to any E39 M5) felt as though it was "sleeping" beside me at those speeds. I was too shocked to hassle traffic as to give the driver a thumbs up :7: but I suppose around lunchtime if by any chance he still wondered what I was doing, he probably figured it out by then.

My bad day took a full 180 and just remembering that moment keeps me smiling. (I probably stayed next to that M5 for less than 20 seconds, but it felt like a minute)
I saw my First E39 M5 in FL, after 8 years of eyeballing BMW bumpers

I saw it again today!! 7AM, same road, this time heading towards I95 South; This is something I don't understand... I eyeball 5 series and 7 series bumpers all the time for that magnificent M5 badge (not expecting it on a 7 series..... :rolleyes:) ((cause they look similar) I don't see details/features too well (wear glasses)) but it has only been TWICE where I was shot full of excitement before I could see the badge on the rear of the car, both times when I was still looking at the side of the car (maybe subconciously) knowing that it was an M5. I slept 3 hours in the last 48 however when I saw it, I knew, and I was like Whoa dude! There it is again! only to be confirmed as I saw the M5 badge and was just amazed and I smiled for the next half hour; this time, wondering, who is this guy?

I have one goal. To one day own an E39 M5. And from there on, how to master it lovelove

:M5eyes:Edgar

·
Registered
569 Posts
Great story. :haha:

Good luck on obtaining this very special car one day. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
You should look for the dual exhaust with quad tail pipes as well as the rounded side view mirrors and oval rear view mirror and then the obvious front spoiler since there are many posers that put an M5 badge on their non-M5 car!

I hope you realize your dream some day like I did last year!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
UH....ooooohkayyy Edgar,

At first I thought, kool, I've been driving one for years, and well, I still feel the same when I see one in traffic... good for Edgar, way to be a fan, it'll happen someday...

then I read the thread linked...

...then I thought, uh oh, he's not for real, someone is havin some fun with us, leading us on, feeding us some rope... - goood one...

...then I thought, well, so what, maybe, maybe not...

...then I thought, just in case,

Edgar, Now it's true these beasts are also gettin old, and dropping in price, but they are mighty expensive to service, even with an independent garage - like you can spend $3,000 a year without even blinking an eye - - so my advice, what the heck, work your way up. I'd start with an older M3, see how you like it, how you like the way they do things at BMW etc etc... and see where that takes you, a few years go by, you gain some BMW experience, the E39 M5 s get even cheaper, and there ya go...

good luck...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Long time in search of ///M5 E39 1998 in the US. Can you help me find it?
Uh... unless I'm reading this wrong, you want a 1998 E39 M5?

You're going to be looking for a LONG time man.

·
Registered
19 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:eek:oohhh: WOW! What a road trip!!!!!!! I am so jealous. :cheers:

·
10,456 Posts
No, I beleive 1999 where available in Avus Blue.
they were early 2000 model year, 99 production dates. Avus blue ended with the early design piston rings, i looked at a 2/00 produced car in avus blue when i was looking to buy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts