BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

After reading nothing but terrible reports about how the car drives in automatic mode, I find that most days on my commute, I just start the car, put it in D3 and go. As I mentioned in my other thread, I drive about 500 miles a week on the DC beltway and the lack of a clutch pedal is one of the big motivators for buying this car. But I really don't think its bad at all once you get used to the way the system thinks and operates. I much prefer it, for example, to the way the Porsche tiptronic and e46 steptronic operate.

Plus, for non-commuting driving, I have M mode set up as P500 sport, MDM, and S5. It's like having two totally different cars in one! I love it :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Na your not weird, each to their own ! I use 'D' mode a lot as well :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
When I'm in D I always forget and try to floor it and hit that lag. That's what bothers me the most.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Then there's a lot of weirdos out there....

I find myself in D3 a lot, then I go to D4 at times, but I completely understand especially given my commute. Heck, that's part of the reason I made the purchase of an SMG. I get best of both worlds. I agree with the post about forgetting you're in D and stepping on it only to hit the lag...that's annoying, but you know what, annoying lag in M5 still beats any clutcher out there.

IMHO, I have found D to be quite smooth if you are good with throttle control. I have also found iDrive to be a piece of cake and learned it in a couple of minutes, so I don't know what all the griping is about. The only thing I don't like about it is sometimes finding my way back to a menu without exiting but that's another thread.

So, enjoy D3. I do. And when I don't, I just push the "button".

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes. I tried "D" the other day for the first time and in "MY" car specifically it was by far the worst transmission I had ever felt EVER. I can not believe that BMW even offered this. Seriously.................... AWUFUL. God AWUFUL! IMO

·
Registered
831 Posts
I only use D5 when I have a cup of coffee in the morning; otherwise it's S5 after the car warms up.
The "auto" mode has definitely improved compared to the SMG in my previous 6-series, much smoother, less jerky, if you can believe that...

·
Registered
655 Posts
I used D pretty regularly until I got my exhaust and x-pipe put on. now I crave down shifts in S5!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can't tolerate D, especially the first to second shift. That's how I first did a test drive, and it completely turned me off. I'm glad that I went back and spent more time behind the wheel in S.

·
Registered
907 Posts
That's EXACTLY what happened with me as well.....went and test drove one....HATED it.....hated the pause that made me move forward in my seat in D.....ONLY because of what I had read about how much you guys were loving the car...I made myself go back and test drive one for about 30 minutes...otherwise I would have written it off.......

I can't tolerate D, especially the first to second shift. That's how I first did a test drive, and it completely turned me off. I'm glad that I went back and spent more time behind the wheel in S.

·
Registered
534 Posts
IMHO yes, but to each his own. If you like it in D3, so be it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
D is for when my right hand is holding (1) An ice cream (2) A Smooth Knee (3) A Pussy... Cat

·
Registered
288 Posts
D is for when my right hand is holding (1) An ice cream (2) A Smooth Knee (3) A Pussy... Cat
:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes. I tried "D" the other day for the first time and in "MY" car specifically it was by far the worst transmission I had ever felt EVER. I can not believe that BMW even offered this. Seriously.................... AWUFUL. God AWUFUL! IMO
I agree entirely.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I find the "D" mode ok in S3,4 or 5 but 1 & 2 are totally useless. They are very unpredictable in their pattern and give the car a gutless feeel to it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If I had to drive in D all the time, this car would be gone. If I drove it in D only during the test drive, it would've never been purchased.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't say I _prefer_ driving it in D, but for commuting, when I am fighting traffic, it turns into a very easy to drive luxury car.

:)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Drivers who use "D" also have Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in their CD player.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I hate D... It is so annoying to not know when it is going to shift and the unexpected changes make my head move back and forth. I shift significantly smoother in S6. All it takes a little throttle control. Something I think most people forget with all the autos out there. They just stick thier foot in one place and let the car do all the work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts