BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first post and would like to share my entry into the M5 world. I just purchused a 2006 SMG M5, 69,000 miles. What makes my purchuse different from most is I have bought the car unseen or undriven. This is due to the fact that I'm deployed in Afghanistan and will be returning in Febuary. Am I crazy?!?!?! No warranty as all the company's offering service seem to have bad feedback all over the NET. I have done alot of research and realize there is some major issues of concern in reguards to these cars, specifcally the early ones... I'd appreciate feedback or comments...
1. VANOS... not really sure exactly what this system is, just know its a common problom.
2. SMG......, all sorts of concerns here.
3. Clutch, .... I've read people have had these replaced with less miliege than mine so I know I'm just rolling the dice. Its possiable to get over 100,000 miles on the factory clutch correct?
4. I did get a clean CARFAX and copy of the service record that they included. Nothing of major concern. I noticed alot of past recalls on these. How do I know if they were all performed?
5. This car has an early build date also. I believe it was manufactored in 2005 if I'm reading things right.

Obviously I bought this car at a good price other wise I wouldn't have made this deal. The only Mods I'm aware of is a Corsa Exhuast, Upgraded 20" wheels and possiably aftermarket springs. It also has a large amount of options and looks to be in excellant condition cosmetically.
Anyhow, just trying to get an idea of how worried I should be. Very excited to get home, for this and other obvious reasons as I'm a father of two daughters.( I would have bought a 996 TT if I didn't need car seats for the girls). I appreciate the responses in advance and look forward to skimming the posts daily. Glad to see such a huge following on M5board to help out!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nah, I don't think thats crazy. I've bought a few cars without driving or seeing them in person first. Only once did it come back to bite me. If you care, it was a 99 E36 M3 that looked "OK" in the pics, but the price was hard to pass on, so I bought it. Ended up fixing quite a few things on it, but then sold it for pretty much what a bought it for a year later. So if the price is right, I would go for it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Limen, I agree..... Unfortanatly I'm putting alot of faith into this. Hopefully this car is as "Trouble free and in Excellent condition" as the dealership says. Just out of curiosity has any one ever seen this car before? I purchused it from Marieta, GA.Picture below. Also, anyone know who makes these wheels?

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Umm.... you have more courage than I.

The major thing that I would be concerned with is that the car is modified. I understand that alot of people modify thier cars and take care of them, but people who modify thier cars are typically after more performance, which means they have driven the cars such that they felt more power was necessary or desired. A car which has modified exhaust and 20" aftermarket wheels just isn't the kind of car I would feel comfortable buying sight unseen, especially an M5 with the extreme costs of repairs out of warranty. Even if you can repair your car yourself (like myself), the cost of the parts on an M5 are astronomical. If it was a Corvette or some other car where most parts are available from Autozone, then it wouldn't be a big deal. But most M5 parts only come from the dealer.

Dealers will tell you anything to sell a car, so you must do your own research on a preowned car. Maybe this car was cared for like a golden child and traded because they wanted something different, or maybe it was a pimp-mobile that was beat like a race horse and then repo'ed?

I would probably only buy a vehicle sight-unseen if the vehicle is completely stock, has complete service records with no major mechnical problems, and was turned in or traded in at an equivalent level dealership (For a BMW it would be Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc...) or from a private individual who appears mature. And even with all that there is no guarantee, but it improves the odds. Also, given what I know now I would probably never buy an M5 sight unseen. I'd want to listen to the engine, check under the car for signs of damage from unreported accidents, drive it to make sure it didn't have any unusual clunks or rattles, or pulling left or right, etc...

With all that being said, it might turn out to be a great car and everything will be just fine. BMWs are generally reliable if they are treated properly. I've had four and never had a major problem with any of them (knock on wood). If it's a good car you will love it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We had a saying on the M3forum: "The cheapest M3 is the most expensive M3 you can own".

But I don't think that you are crazy, you are just a risk taker. It depends mostly on how good of a deal you've got.

The prices on the M5 range by quite a bit. If the car turns out to have problems, then you are looking at expensive repairs - but your total (cheap M5 + repairs) might turn out to be less than a prime example M5 - usually around 40-50+ grand.

If the car is in good shape when you get it, just make sure to buy a good extended warranty and you will be set if any unexpected problems occur.

Most you can lose is what you paid for the car, and most you can gain is a sweet car that originally cost almost 100 grand.
So it's not a bad risk to take, depends on your risk tolerance.
And on your expectations...
The bottom line is all of these cars are expensive to own, even the best of examples.
Gas, maintenance, tires, brakes aren't cheap even on a perfect M5 that never breaks down.

Don't ever trick yourself into thinking you are saving anything when you buy an M5. The initial cost is only the beginning.

And I agree on the points previously made about mods (rims and shocks). To me they are a huge price reducer - hint that the car was owned by an immature owner/driver. Sorry to people that mod, but that's what I think when I see rimz and a slammed car yo. Luckily, these cars are made to be driven hard. And hard driving (after it's warmed up) won't hurt the M, as long as it's maintained well. In fact I think a little track/hard driving is good for these cars and engines (for example my engine doesn't burn oil when I drive it hard, yet my wife burns mad oil with gentle driving).

Just make sure the previous owner didn't decide to mod the oil weight/type because he knew better than M engineers (he obviously understands suspension physics better than they do, which is why he dropped the car).

Reactions: RLTW

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think you are mad personally. Not for buying an M5 without sighting or driving it but for buying an M5 and not having a warranty. Warranty is king with these cars so long as its a reliable one. If you dont have it then prepare for the pain when the slightest thing goes wrong!!

On another note, hope your having a good safe tour in Afghan. I did 6 months operating in Garmsir (southern Helmand) so i know how close the **** can land.

Hope the car turns out ok for you and you get back from the '**** Pit' ok.

Eddie,

Per Mare Per Terram!

·
Registered
148 Posts
@RLTW - I don't think you're crazy. But on behalf of all the members of the board, and my family, I humbly thank you for your service. I'm the nephew, grandson and great-grandson of members of the armed forces. Be safe, and if you're flying in to Willow Grove NAS on the return trip, let me know, I'll buy you a beer at Edibles right across the street.

Welcome to the owner's club!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eddie, I agree...... I did take a very good look into aftermarket extended warranty's but there doesn't seem to be any out there that are worth a dang. What is the point of spending $3000-$4000 or more on one that really wont cover anything because the company just finds a way to blame the owner that he "abused" the car? I do understand your opinion though..... is there a good company out there that has good feedback besides buying a CPO( even those guys get the run-around)??? I'm crossing my fingers at this point.....
And as far as Afghanistan,... yes, it blows,.... and this is my 5th deployment since 9/11.

·
Registered
153 Posts
@RLTW - I don't think you're crazy. But on behalf of all the members of the board, and my family, I humbly thank you for your service. I'm the nephew, grandson and great-grandson of members of the armed forces. Be safe, and if you're flying in to Willow Grove NAS on the return trip, let me know, I'll buy you a beer at Edibles right across the street.

Welcome to the owner's club!

I think its great the US public and goverment rate their armed forces so highly. My dad is currently on a 3 1/2 year swap job with the USNavy in CT. He's been in the Royal Navy for 32 years so he's been about a bit. What he can't believe though is how well he is treated by the US and how well you guys treat your service men and women. I mean, free transport, free entry into theme parks, free this, free that, discounted cars etc. And general acceptance by your fellow man. I'd be proud to serve a country like that.

When I came back from Afghanistan in 2007 after a hard tour we weren't even allowed into the arrivals lounge of the airport for fear we might offend the minority groups. We were not allowed to wear uniform off-base and when we did, people called us murderers, invaders, scum etc. We had no welcome home parades, the news broadcasters didn't really follow it, and we were generally made to feel unwelcome. Things have changed a bit in the past 12 months but we still need to learn a lot from you guys in the US. I could go on all day about this stuff but I won't.

Have a safe return and enjoy your //M.

Eddie

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
5. This car has an early build date also. I believe it was manufactored in 2005 if I'm reading things right.
Enter the last 7 characters of your VIN into realoem.com, and your Production Month will be displayed.

I would recommend changing all the fluids: Engine oil and filter, transmission fluid, differential fluid, brake fluid, coolant.
OEM BMW fluids can be ordered from board sponsor getbmwparts.com, which will be much cheaper that a local dealer.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Good Luck with the Purchase. Do you need to know the specifics in regards to all the options and such? Let me know. I can let you know in service date, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts