BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose what spurred this idea on is that I appreciate the luxuriousness of my M5 more than its sportiness. Don't get me wrong, I use that M button all the time, but I never enjoy the car at track-day or take it out to twisty roads. The B7 gets me perhaps the same grunt in a bigger more comfortable car at the cost of an awesomely tuned chassis, tranny and v10. Have I lost touch with my inner-enthusiast?

Have any of you e60 M5 drivers tried the Alpina B7 or been tempted by it like I am? Am I indeed crazy to make this switch?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never seriously considered an Alpina B7, but it sounds like it would be the right switch for all reasons mentioned above. And yes....you have lost some touch with your inner-enthusiast.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I would also consider the new F10 B5, or simply a the new F10 550i with a tune. It's not an M5, but it will be much more luxurious and have probably 90% (or more) of the power.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
One of my partners has a B7, which I have driven and ridden a fair amount. Great car, very comfortable, but a very different and much more isolating experience than the M5. You do not need a track day to appreciate the difference, but it sounds like you would prefer the softer, more comfortable approach to the Quest for Power. If so, this is not a bad decision at all.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I think if you are looking for a softer, more comfortable car with more low end grunt, I'd say the B7 is a great choice. Maybe also check out a Mercedes S63/S600/S65...I've only driven the S65 but all three are fantastic cars if you are looking for a more comfortable/torquey driving experience.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
343 Posts
While I do like the B7 I agree with some of the other comments regarding possibly driving other options as well. Take your time and do your homework.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you are thinking about the latest generation B7 with the xDrive and the TTV8 I would say it is a good proposition, it is after all, the most direct competitor that BMW has against the Panamera. Also a very good friend has the new 760i and he like it more than his M6.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I suppose what spurred this idea on is that I appreciate the luxuriousness of my M5 more than its sportiness. Don't get me wrong, I use that M button all the time, but I never enjoy the car at track-day or take it out to twisty roads. The B7 gets me perhaps the same grunt in a bigger more comfortable car at the cost of an awesomely tuned chassis, tranny and v10. Have I lost touch with my inner-enthusiast?

Have any of you e60 M5 drivers tried the Alpina B7 or been tempted by it like I am? Am I indeed crazy to make this switch?
I have owned an '07MY Alpina B7 and an '08MY M5 at the same time for two years. Both cars are EQUALLY fast until 120MPH the M5 begins to overtake the B7.

I returned the lease on the '07 B7. I now have an '10 Individual M5 and I am very interested in purchasing an '11 Individual B7. I test drove the '11 B7 a few weeks ago, and it is a great car.. it was a pleasure to drive the car.. even more so than the last '07 B7 I had. After reading your post about, about how you appreciate the luxury aspect much more than the sport aspect of the M5, I can safely tell you that if that is true, you will love the Alpina B7, and not miss your M5.

The only thing holding me back is that the '11 B7 is still 500HP, and that's holding me back because the '11 S63 has a new 5.5L V8 @ 535HP+
However, new information that has still not been officially released from DINAN Engineering literally states (I am copy/pasteing this directly):
DINAN said:
I did not give this to you... 573 hp @ 5500rpm
644 ft-lbs @ 3500rpm... This car is INSANE!
They said an announcement is coming this week, but has not come yet. If this is official, nothing is holding me back from spec'ing out an Individual Alpina B7.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I have owned an '07MY Alpina B7 and an '08MY M5 at the same time for two years. Both cars are EQUALLY fast until 120MPH the M5 begins to overtake the B7.

I returned the lease on the '07 B7. I now have an '10 Individual M5 and I am very interested in purchasing an '11 Individual B7. I test drove the '11 B7 a few weeks ago, and it is a great car.. it was a pleasure to drive the car.. even more so than the last '07 B7 I had. After reading your post about, about how you appreciate the luxury aspect much more than the sport aspect of the M5, I can safely tell you that if that is true, you will love the Alpina B7, and not miss your M5.

The only thing holding me back is that the '11 B7 is still 500HP, and that's holding me back because the '11 S63 has a new 5.5L V8 @ 535HP+
However, new information that has still not been officially released from DINAN Engineering literally states (I am copy/pasteing this directly):

They said an announcement is coming this week, but has not come yet. If this is official, nothing is holding me back from spec'ing out an Individual Alpina B7.
What about the 760Li? The TTV12 has 535HP and 550ft-lb of torque, and gets through the 1/4 mile faster than an M3...

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
What about the 760Li? The TTV12 has 535HP and 550ft-lb of torque, and gets through the 1/4 mile faster than an M3...
A valid point, however I do not want to sacrifice/trade the Alpina Modifications and Designations for the 760. I would rather purchase the ECU that will boost HP about +80, topping the 760 and pushing it completely out of consideration. I have spoken before about DINAN's ECU on the 550i possibily being dangerous to reliability long-term or maybe even short-term, however being that everything is upgraded already from Alpina, the increase in power from the ECU should in my opinion not effect the car as other internals are upgraded to accommodate the increased performance.

I really love Alpina, especially the B7. I just came back from a second test drive today and enjoyed the car. It was extremely comfortable, power delivery was very good (slight turbo lag, but IMO no big deal with a performance car, only a big deal for sports cars), and the transmission was very smooth. The front seats were very comfortable, and the fully adjustable rear seats were easy to fall asleep in. The Alpina B7 is an amazing machine, in every aspect (luxury, convenience, electronics, performance).. it really is a well made and put together vehicle. BMW and Alpina did this one right.

I am very near sold.. I just want to test drive the new 5.5L AMG engine before I commit.

I will be choosing the Alpina B7 (Full Individual Spec - Exterior/Interior/Threads/Headliner/Trim) with the short wheel base option and the rear wheel drive option. I have the Individual spec's outlined in my head (down to 3 choices)... This is a terrific car, I really hope the OP decides to purchase the car.. I highly recommend it especially understanding what you are in the market for - luxury.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1h-f_wHku90?fs=1&hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1h-f_wHku90?fs=1&hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts