BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mentioned Ideally I am looking to buy an E39 from a private buyer but am looking at all options and came across this:

Used 2003 BMW M5 M For Sale | Lakewood CO

Would be very interested if it had good service records and if I could get for about $2000 less than asking price. Can someone tell me if I am crazy or does some of these pictures look like the car is black while others it appears the car is blue?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all sorry for the nub question as I am learning more and more about the E39's on a daily basis. I just googled it and see all the responses as it looks blue in the sun and black in the shade. Very interested even though it is at the dealer. Just called as they are getting me more info on the car. I bet this is internet priced and not negotiable but will see.

Owning a 2003 would be ideal as it was the last year they made the E39 and love the interior. Any way to tell if it has the M audio option as am sure the Toyota dealer it is at will not know.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
That looks clean but you should have them pull all the service history for you. I would expect to get a lot more than $200 off the asking price even if it has a stellar history. Original clutch? Discount! Pads/rotors? Discount! Plus at that mileage you can have all sorts of upcoming work like o2 sensors, MAFs. Look close enough and there might be a weepy power steering hose or valve cover gasket. If the history and PPI check out start them at $21500 and see what they say :) Don't let them see how badly you want it.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I see the m audio subs in the rear deck.
Car looks pretty clean, same color and trim finish as mine.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoops typo I meant $2000 off. Just got off the phone with them. They have no service records. Car had front and rear bumper work done from an accident when the car had 5000 miles according to Carfax as that is all they know. I talked to a low end salesperson and did offer $21500 due to not knowing if it was on the original clutch and such. Told them if we could make a deal I would want a PPI done somewhere else and he said that he would personally drive it there.

We shall see. The PPI should tell how if the front and rear bumper are ok but that worries me a bit. By the way they just called back and said $21900 + 400 processing fee. Fairly close. He also said car has a fairly deep 6 inch scratch on drivers door that looks like it was tried to be touched up but given the color does not look very good.

I am getting close up picture of that. Hmm!!! Decisions Decisions!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
66K and no service records. And, they came down to your over-the-phone offer really fast. Plus, the accident. And the scratch. I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking the same thing but they are a toyota dealership and don't see these often. They will be fine with a PPI. So not sure. Without maintenance I am looking at so many things like brake fluid flush, differential fluid change, trans fluid change. Who knows how long the life of the clutch is? Brakes and Rotors? Could be a huge service bill getting car up to my standards don't you think? Should I be more concerned that who knows how the car has been maintained without history than what I would have to spend initially to get it up to par?

Am sure the local BMW place I would have the PPI done may come up with a few things but more so the recommended service given they have no clue when things where done. I am very picky but need to be a bit flexible on a few things. Still not really sure if this is worth looking into?

Dealer is about $1000 more than what I was looking to pay as they charge a $400 fee for processing. So we are at $21,900 + $400.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The service department at the local BMW dealership can pull the service records by running the VIN. Not all do, but you can give it a try. Also, that car is across the country from you, man. If it were local, it might be worth looking into. But, with all of the ?s, I would not be inclined to pursue it. Regarding the processing fee, it's a throwaway. The bottom price is the bottom price. Some dealers will separate out the processing fee so you feel that you have to pay it on top of the agreed-upon price. Nope. Deduct that "mandatory" processing fee from your offer is the way to go. The deal terms have to be all-inclusive. They just added $400 to the price of the car. An extra $400 that you were unaware of when you offered $21.5K.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Pictures

Good points.

Price is good for the year and mileage but guess I need to remain a bit more patient.

Never mind they just sent me the minor scratches on the car. One is huge.

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
"Patience is a virtue" read the placard in my mother's bedroom during my childhood.

Plus, just to close the loop, it says at the bottom of the ad:

"All listed prices include a dealer handling fee of $399.50."

So, the $400 is already in there. Anyway, go find your next target cars, so the board can continue its virtual search with you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I expect most dealers to charge that just passed over it.

You all are probably getting sick of seeing all my posts? Everyone I have found at a dealership have some issues that are a deal breaker for me. I should stop even looking at anything outside private sales but ones that have good mileage and are within the scope of what I am looking to pay I figure does not hurt things. Just seems like an utter waste of time.

Search is pending. Guess I will know when I find the right one.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Everyone I have found at a dealership have some issues that are a deal breaker for me. I should stop even looking at anything outside private sales but ones that have good mileage and are within the scope of what I am looking to pay I figure does not hurt things. Just seems like an utter waste of time.
That is why that Mercedes dealership can ask $33K for the one with 27K miles (and somebody WILL pay around $30K for that car in the near future). But, as you're seeing, most of the beasts on dealer lots are dogs when they get there. And after sitting on the lot and enduring the test drives, they are even worse off after a few weeks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That one at the MB lot was nice. I just can't see spending $30k on one even with that low mileage. Even though I am not a fan of the E60 M5 that is starting to get into the bottom range of prices for a 2006. I know that has no relevance.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
ouch, looks like someone keyed the vehicle! i got mine for JUST under $24k and that was back in 2008. this could be priced as is for the low mileage...id say keep it on the backburner and maybe haggle a lower price

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That would be a very expensive repair done right. I could not see having one with a big key mark like that. Can deal with a blemish here or there as most do but that is an eye sore.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts