BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

The first M5 I drove was a 2002 in 2004. Its now 10 years later and I am the proud new owner of a 2001 Carbon Black M5 with 110K Miles on the clock. My wife thinks I am crazy, she would not read the numerous car and driver articles claiming with out question the beast is the best BMW ever made. She doesn't get it, one of the best BMW's every made is now in the garage and I slept on the couch with a big smile on my face.

Here are some pics and some comments so far. Two owner car...First Owner had it from new to 101,000K miles. I have all service records from BMW Dealer. 2nd Owner did a muffler delete, cat back (removed resonators too) and it is waaaaayyyy to loud for me. I have the stock mufflers so I have to decide if I put them back on or go with some other muffler set up. I want it quiet as possible, but still be able to unleash the beast with some growl when I stomp the pedal. Borla or ? I am open to ideas from you all.

Initial start up this morning scared me...tach light up like a christmas tree and the beast squeeled for 4 minutes. After it warmed up, tach was back to normal and squeel stopped. I drove it all day with a huge grin on my face. Well worth it even if my wife thinks I am crazy....by the way shoot me if I ever drive a mini van :cool2:.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Congrats, that is a nice looking M5! Judging by the way the pipes are under that car, I am not surprised that it is so noisy. Putting the cross over piece in would help a lot, the scuba tanks will make it quieter too. I have a completely stock exhaust on mine (still even in one piece!) and it is noisy when you want it to be but quiet the rest of the time. The M5 really does have one of the best sounding exhaust sound tracks of all time.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Yes, you are crazy but we all are here. :7:

BTW, try to install the stock resonators/H-pipe if you have it. It should quiet down the exhaust some.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Welcome to the board! You're in good company here. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Clean one. Congrats!
BTW, where's "seatle"? :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome! I do have the stock mufflers and resonators and a local shop will slap them back in for me. Gonna go that route for now. I have go to upgrade the nav screen / stereo too. Did anyone see the Vehicle Virgin review of the Pioneer AppRadio 3? I am going to look into it...I think his price is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Z_v6MT9Es

Cheers!

Phil

·
Registered
351 Posts
Congrats you have the best color! Take your wife for a drive I'm sure she will have a change of heart :7:

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's a beauty - lucky guy! Congrats!

(Are you getting used to the couch?)hiha

Regards,
P.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome!! I would highly recommend the cat-back Borla exhaust. I removed my stock exhaust and had this system installed as my 1st modification. Best of both worlds bc is sounds mean, especially when you stomp on it, but it is quiet enough to take your wife on a date with no complaints!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Congrats! Looks very clean. Why were you on the couch?? BTW, what issue is triggering the triangles on the OBC display?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am a planner....

First, buy a nice, long, super soft couch. Get it delivered and set up in the man cave.
Second, at breakfast just out of the blue announce that you just can't handle it anymore and you have something you want to tell her.

By now she is thinking, OMG...he is going to say he has had an affair or is filing for divorce. Make her pry it out of you..."omg what is it honey?" "tell me, tell me". "OK..promise not to get upset? ..yes yes..what is it??

"I am going to buy a M5 today because its the best BMW ever made!!"

She is relieved that is all it is and off you go to buy it. By the time you get back, her relief has morphed into anger. But you are so happy you have the M5 that you don't care deep inside, but you are super nice, you bring home her favorite dinner, change light bulbs that have been out for weeks, put the kids to bed and other stuff on the list. Try to sleep in the same bed, but no dice. At least you have the new couch.

This all happened to a friend of mine. Not me...hiha

By the way, are those warning triangles on the OBC?:lightbulb: I thought they were just pointing to the time. I have no idea what is throwing them..I have a service appointment in a week to start a plan (and budget) to get things replaced.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it ShaFro..I have a burned out fog light, driver side. Just replaced both of them about 30 minutes ago.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts