BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back ALX started a thread about bike racks. I want to get one and wondered if anyone had been through the rigamorole (sp?) of getting part numbers etc. I think that Thule is the brand to go with. I am going to call them to see how it attaches. Anyone here have any words of caution etc..?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Erm, bike rack. As in for your M5? Hmm... can I interest you in a nice hat with a propeller on top too, and some streamers to go on the side view mirrors.

I'm sorry, couldn't resist. I would be mortified if it were my own with such hanging off the end.

--Dan

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to do a roof rack. I think they can look pretty sporty, if set up correctly. I wouldn't want one hanging off the back either.
There are already provisions made for a rack to go on the roof.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by lear:
A while back ALX started a thread about bike racks. I want to get one and wondered if anyone had been through the rigamorole (sp?) of getting part numbers etc. I think that Thule is the brand to go with. I am going to call them to see how it attaches. Anyone here have any words of caution etc..?
There is a nice bike rack from BMW to have on your roof, I have that one. It has a nice lift which makes it easy to attach your bike to the rack without scratching your car.

Part numbers are:
Bike lift for two bikes 82 72 9 407 932 $365
Bike lift for one bike 82 11 9 404 098 $600

Then you'll need a rack to attch to your roof: 82 71 9 408 587 $149

Prices are in Sweden and the exchange rate used was 10 SEK/$1

Mountain biker or Racer?

Regards,
/Johan

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Johann - from the picture it looks like the rack mounts down very close to the windows, and gives the illusion that it doesn't use the mounting points built into the car, under those little flip-up covers. I'm confused, since you said this was a BMW part.

Can you clarify?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alpywhite, are you happy with that bike? I am looking at those and the raven models. Any pros or cons you want to pass along?
[email protected]

I am going to a Thule dealer tonight and will see if they have racks made for the roof of the E39.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by greg:
Johann - from the picture it looks like the rack mounts down very close to the windows, and gives the illusion that it doesn't use the mounting points built into the car, under those little flip-up covers. I'm confused, since you said this was a BMW part.

Can you clarify?
Yes, it uses the mounting points built into the car, under those little flip-up covers.

I think the picture shows a E36 3 serie car, anyway it is not a E46 nor a E39

/Johan

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by alpywhite:
Glad this is being brought up again. I am looking for a rack for my mountain bike.

I have a Cannondale Jekyll 900SX which comes with a Lefty shock...
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/usa/image-0VN9L.html

The shock is great, but it precludes me from easily removing the front wheel (not a quick-release)....
http://www.cannondale.com/headshok/products/lefty.html

I therefore need a rack that doesn't require front-wheel removal.

Which BMW rack would fit the bill? This one?

Thanks,
Alps
This rack does not require front-wheel removal, in fact it requires the front-wheel to stay on. My Cannondale with some rock-shox susprension front fits fine. I think you bike will work fine too.

/Johan

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Lear,

I tried to email you but it bounced. To paraphrase the 900 SX:

- Awesome bike
- Lefty is the good stuff
- Upgrade brakes (Hayes)
- Maybe upgrade cranks if you're a heavy or rough rider
- No need for a Raven, especially if you move up-line (Jekyll 1000, 3000)
http://www.northshoremountainbiking.com/photo_gallery/

Alps

[This message has been edited by alpywhite (edited 16 November 2000).]

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alpywhite
here is my email typed out correctly, oops,
[email protected]
I called Thule and their kit, 260, does not utilize the provisions for a roof rack that BMW put up on the roof. The kit goes around the door frame. I don't know if I want to do that. My local BMW dealer quoted me $185 for the rack and then $126 for each bike I want to put up there. I will go in to the dealer to make sure that they are ordering the stuff I want. I guess BMW is the best bet, kind of figures, the price is like three times what the Thule kit would cost.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Lear,

I thought I'd add my 2 cents. For the record, I never did get a bike rack. I'm considering geting the BMW foldable bike (I'm not really into bicycles, just want something to ride sometimes).

Good luck with your rack search and be sure to post which rack you end up with.

ALX

·
Registered
621 Posts
This works for one bike:
I have five bicycles, four road and a mountain. With the wheels off, any of the road bikes fit in the trunk without folding the rear seats down. The rear derailer on the mtn. bike sticks out a couple of inches with the small seat portion down(might be able to configure it without seat down). I have wheel bags that came with the wheels so I lay the protected wheels on the top of the bike. I found a large outdoor grill cover to slip the bike into, bottom first, keeping the greasy chain etc off the trunk's interior wall. One can use foam pipe insulation sections to protect any part of the frame/fork as an option. Security is better for the bike (stopping off at a restaurant for instance) and there's no risk of ripping it off the roof (like I did with my 528 - and a junk bike thank God).

I'll find out Monday if I need to remove the Dinan rear brace to get the bike inside, but from Fred's posted photos I think it will easily clear the bike laid down in the trunk. Wheels should fit inside as well.

I bought and use the BMW roof rack. I think it's the best rack for the car since it dosn't touch the roof and is very easy to put on. The Yakima I had on my Infinity dented the roof and mared the paint. I kept it on the car which is bad for the finish.
I use the BMW wind surfer kit and straps from the hardware store to carry my kayak. I modified the bike kit a bit. Both systems work well for me but I always put my bike in the trunk these days. Cheers

·
Registered
621 Posts
Btw, any Bay Area cyclists out there that can help pull me out of the drivers seat and back on to my saddle? I've put on ten pounds since July when I got my M. 15k miles so far.
I enjoy riding from 10 to 60 miles or so at a moderate pace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts