BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been buying M cars since I could drive, but as I am sure like a lot of people on this board, I am always buying the model that was just replaced, as I can only afford that. No problem with that either, as these cars 5 years old are better than 95 percent of new cars on the road today. However, rather then sink a good amount of money in to my current M5 which I probably won't get out of it when I go to sell someday, I am going to save it so I can buy an E60 in a couple of years. I am just wondering, if anyone on here has an idea of what an 07/08 M5 will be worth in 3 or 4 years with relatively good miles, maybe around 35,000 miles. By then I will be wanting to get a new one and just wondering what people think the market is going to be like compared to how it was for the E39 M5.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Man the price on those E60 M5 are dropping so drastically, in 3-4 years, you could probably pick one for what the 03 m5 is worth now!!! Scary isn't it?
I saw a nice one going for $55,000 the other day, It was clean with service history and carfax.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, I looked at them a little bit a while back just to see what the depreciation was in a year on those things.

My search wasn't too scientific.....just Ebay with my assuming people paid 90-95k new. I was seeing them going for $60k and all I could think was....wow, sucks for the original buyers, but I bet a lot were lease cars that were beat on for 8k miles then sold off.

I have no desire to get an e60 m5 even in a few years. I'd rather just mod the one I have as time goes on.

e39 m5 > *

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I am just wondering, if anyone on here has an idea of what an 07/08 M5 will be worth in 3 or 4 years with relatively good miles, maybe around 35,000 miles.
2008 BMW M5 Sedan
24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00295 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 57% of MSRP – .00295 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 42% of MSRP – .00295 Base Rate
60 Month – Residual 34% of MSRP – .00295 Base Rate

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you can get over the odd body styling and torque-less V10, then go for it. I'm going to stick with the off the line power and ease of use of my E39 M5.

I've also been reading about BMW's decision not to CPO the E60 M5's, which would also prevent me from looking into one some day.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I've also been reading about BMW's decision not to CPO the E60 M5's, which would also prevent me from looking into one some day.
Has this been written in stone??

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you can get over the odd body styling and torque-less V10, then go for it. I'm going to stick with the off the line power and ease of use of my E39 M5.

What does CPO stand for?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have been buying M cars since I could drive, but as I am sure like a lot of people on this board, I am always buying the model that was just replaced, as I can only afford that. No problem with that either, as these cars 5 years old are better than 95 percent of new cars on the road today. However, rather then sink a good amount of money in to my current M5 which I probably won't get out of it when I go to sell someday, I am going to save it so I can buy an E60 in a couple of years. I am just wondering, if anyone on here has an idea of what an 07/08 M5 will be worth in 3 or 4 years with relatively good miles, maybe around 35,000 miles. By then I will be wanting to get a new one and just wondering what people think the market is going to be like compared to how it was for the E39 M5.
As you predicted, this is exactly my strategy as well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not 100% sure but its been kicked around quite a bit. I mean even if they do CPO it, I've also heard about problems with the transmissions on these things. And to boot, if you want a 6 speed, you've got to wait for the '07 prices come down, which will be a year longer than the '06's.

I just think BMW missed the mark on the E60 M5 - personal opinion of course. I also think they just should have upped the displacement and kept the V8 - how about a 475 hp 6.0L?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I finally got the service manager at southbay BMW to confirm. He kept beating around the bush, and even went as far to say that no M cars have ever been CPO'd...then I pointed outside to my car, and he reluctantly said that M5's and 6's were not being CPO'd. Again though, he tried to spin it by saying "it was for the customers good"!! as it would increase the MSRP too much. Bologna....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not 100% sure but its been kicked around quite a bit. I mean even if they do CPO it, I've also heard about problems with the transmissions on these things. And to boot, if you want a 6 speed, you've got to wait for the '07 prices come down, which will be a year longer than the '06's.

I just think BMW missed the mark on the E60 M5 - personal opinion of course. I also think they just should have upped the displacement and kept the V8 - how about a 475 hp 6.0L?
I checked. There are no m5's I could find on BMW's CPO website.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The e60 M5 is starting to grow on me,but not like the instant love of my e39. The price of e60 M5 are dropping like bricks off a cliff. If you are going to wait for one your best bet would be wait till the new f10 M5 comes out. By then the e60 will be going for $20-$30,000. Your better off keeping your e39 and seeing what BMW is going to do with the next M5:dunno:

·
Registered
85 Posts
The main reason their prices drop like a brick after 3-5 years is warranty and maintenance concerns. When replacement engines cost 25K on up and VANOS units cost 3-4K to replace, not many people can handle that. They might be able to handle a monthly lease payment or a finance payment. However, I have found sometimes the longterm or second hand owners have got to have some serious coin to keep them running.

Some days it's the ultimate driving machine, some days it the ultimate pain in the ***...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, the only car that makes me wet as it pertains to new BMWs is the M3 sedan. No secret there, but I still prefer the soul of the beast.

The beast is the sweetspot of unmessedaroundwith and messed with just enough to be badass.

Beast 4 LIFE.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree that the new m3 probably has the best possibility. I am two or three years from replacing my car, but I am aware that in two years or so I will replace it with a nother pre-owned car I admire. That means that this years' crop of cars are my targets (after someone underdrives them on a one year lease). THe question I am always asking myself is that if I had to get a model year '08 car as a daily driver, what would I get? Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts