BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning/evening

lately i have been getting the battery msg and as it comes and goes i decided to diagnose the issue. put it on GT and found out that the alternator is dieing. so i removed the alternator and repaired the regulator as it was the issue. did not cost much but when installing, it was giving me a 14v which is good, but then i found out that the oil temp gauge is not moving and the oil indicator on the dashboard is not giving any oil level. so asked my mechanic and he told me that due to the generator not being identified by the DME, it cant read. and as the oil level and the temp is directly connected to the alternator. is that true.

i asked another mechanic and he told me not if alternator is bad, everything can go bad but the oil level and the oil temp cannot be affected by the alternator. so i got confused.

i found a used alternator off E60 M6 and almost brand new but i am afraid that if i install it, it would give me the same issue and whatever both mechanics said is only BS.

thanks all

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A dying alternator can cause almost everything in the car to malfunction and give error messages.

I believe the best think is to replace the alternator. Also, how old is your battery. If it is more than 2 years old, you might want to change that as well, as a dying battery will stress out the alternator.

hello hassan,

the batter is new just replaced a month ago from the dealer. that is what i thought a month ago, it gave me the batter msg so i thought it is time to change the battery. had it since 2008.

i am about to change the alternator with that used one and see if that fixes the problem. but my question, is it true the oil temp and oil pressure is directly connected to the alternator or it has nothing to do with what is being said.

thanks hassan

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Salam Hassan!

I believe the sensors are wired directly to the altenator. However, it is possible to disturb the connection while working on the altenator.

Are you getting any fault codes on the car?

Regards
Hasan

hello hassan,

the batter is new just replaced a month ago from the dealer. that is what i thought a month ago, it gave me the batter msg so i thought it is time to change the battery. had it since 2008.

i am about to change the alternator with that used one and see if that fixes the problem. but my question, is it true the oil temp and oil pressure is directly connected to the alternator or it has nothing to do with what is being said.

thanks hassan

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Salam Hassan!

I believe the sensors are wired directly to the altenator. However, it is possible to disturb the connection while working on the altenator.

Are you getting any fault codes on the car?

Regards
Hasan
well the GT gave me the alternator voltage 13.2V
and saying that the engine oil sensor not responding as if there is no electricity going to it.
let me try to get you the codes if i can in few min

salam

it is ra'ed by the way. i may have confused you with hassan. i was referring to you as hassan instead of hasan sorry about that. :7:

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
LOL! Ra'ed

Also try to reset the battery.

well the GT gave me the alternator voltage 13.2V
and saying that the engine oil sensor not responding as if there is no electricity going to it.
let me try to get you the codes if i can in few min

salam

it is ra'ed by the way. i may have confused you with hassan. i was referring to you as hassan instead of hasan sorry about that. :7:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL! Ra'ed

Also try to reset the battery.

:tonquesmilie:will do that. i am installing it as we speak. i will update you with the result.

the code was communication signal BSD ( alternator) and oil level sensor

after installing i will get the codes again and update you

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello mate!
Your alternator is directly connected to the Thermal Oil Level sensor and your battery IBS (INTELIGENT BATTERY SENSE) via BSD(Bit serial data) to the battery!
1.You must replace the regulator with the same spec or part number with BSD out put!
2.If you replace the Alternator it has to be the same spec eg 170AMP out put!
3.Try to register the battery ! if this fails then your IBS unit is faulty!
4.Read the fault codes! if you get alternator comunication error then its your alternator at fault but saying that the oil level senors could also be at fault and giving you the same fault!
5.Lastly if after replacing the alternator with the correct part number and the Oil level is still not showing then you will have to recode/programme the cluster (kombi)
Lets us know how you get on?
shak

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello mate!
Your alternator is directly connected to the Thermal Oil Level sensor and your battery IBS (INTELIGENT BATTERY SENSE) via BSD(Bit serial data) to the battery!
1.You must replace the regulator with the same spec or part number with BSD out put!
2.If you replace the Alternator it has to be the same spec eg 170AMP out put!
3.Try to register the battery ! if this fails then your IBS unit is faulty!
4.Read the fault codes! if you get alternator comunication error then its your alternator at fault but saying that the oil level senors could also be at fault and giving you the same fault!
5.Lastly if after replacing the alternator with the correct part number and the Oil level is still not showing then you will have to recode/programme the cluster (kombi)
Lets us know how you get on?
shak

hello Shak,

you are absultly right.

here are the codes that came out

279B Alternator Comm Fault
278F Intelligent battery sensor
2755 ignition, cyl 3 activation open circuit
278E oil condition sensor- sensor not responding

after replacing the new alternator,

all codes are gone and working fine so it is the alternator and it should be the original one. cant play around with that.

but what i dont understand what is the 2755 ignition, cyl 3 activation open circuit-fault currently not present-fault does not cause warning lamp lonic-current control module, bank 1 ?

it is gone after reset. but is this something i should be worried about?

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello Shak,

you are absultly right.

here are the codes that came out

279B Alternator Comm Fault
2755 ignition, cyl 3 activation open circuit
278E oil condition sensor- sensor not responding

after replacing the new alternator,

all codes are gone and working fine so it is the alternator and it should be the original one. cant play around with that.

but what i dont understand what is the 2755 ignition, cyl 3 activation open circuit-fault currently not present-fault does not cause warning lamp lonic-current control module, bank 1 ?

it is gone after reset. but is this something i should be worried about?

thanks
Glad you fixed the problem!:)

Inregards to your Ionic module! these units can cause a fault due to incorrect voltage being supplied from the alternator!
Monoitor the car for a few weeks and scan it again.
Let me know if any faults pop up!
shak

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
truly.
and of course hasan, thank you

i will drive the car and get back to you and see the codes. but this morning the engine reduced power came up. turned of the car and back and it is gone. mind you, i have changed the fuel pump and filter due to that msg before but i guess it was a glitch somewhere

hehehe

cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Shak,

If I got the 279B Alternator Comm Fault only, does it possible direct to Voltage Regulator?

I had the engine rough idle bounces from 500-750 a few time then stalls this only happens when its warm and after a long run at the first light stop.

Really need a help, thx in advance!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Ive repair the alternator and after that getting error on an e61 of battery discharge and oil level sensor fault. If I change the regulator it will be fixed?

Enviado do meu SM-N920C através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hey guys,

Having almost identical codes. So basically from what i can tell the alternator is at fault here? can anyone confirm ?

My oil temp gauge is also erratic and jumping around. Replaced oil sensor/ oil temp on the bottom of oil pan and still no change.

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FJm2seV7uzNyBZOd1GOpe4WDX-wJvE1R/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

·
Registered
564 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts