BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just wanted to get some feedback to see if this was a reasonable price for a complete Alternator install.
My local dealer in Seattle was asking for 1700$ for labor and 1000$ for the part. To me that seems a little high.
I've read on the forums that some ppl got the alternator from autozone for around 350$. I would install these myself
but I looked at the DIY and it's not that thorough, also never done a alternator install.

Has anyone followed the DIY? Link below

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...tor-removal-instructions-diy.html#post1814522

·
Registered
629 Posts
I got the autozone alternator but I didn't have the time to install it. My buddy installed it at his shop and said it was a PITA because of the tight clearance. Charged me $250 but that's his "buddy" price.

I'm sure others will chime in about their DIY experience

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I too have the autozone alternator and it's been working flawlessly. I did the install myself but it was a huge pain due to the lack of space you have.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too have the autozone alternator and it's been working flawlessly. I did the install myself but it was a huge pain due to the lack of space you have.
Did you use the DIY pdf's from the forum? I'm thinking about doing it myself, but I dont want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I came from a mechanic background so I just went under the car and did it without the DIY. Its not hard, just very time consuming.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Are you sure it's actually your alternator going out? Many times it's just the voltage regulator which is only $100 and much easier to swap.

Reactions: PRM5

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure it's actually your alternator going out? Many times it's just the voltage regulator which is only $100 and much easier to swap.
I'm pretty sure its my voltage regulator, but I heard that the alternator comes with a new voltage regulator and is around 300$ at autozone,
so I figure why not just get the whole unit replaced instead of getting replaced in the future.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The way I see it. It's $100 and easy swap now to possibly never spend the $300 and annoying swap later...seems worth it to me.

Reactions: nss350z
T

·
0 Posts
It is doable. I will tell you what really sucks is changing the ac compressor while the motor is in the engine. That is a really pain.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
129 Posts
You are getting ripped off IMO. I just did my alternator in April at my local BMW dealership and it ran me $1400ish out the door. Still not cheap, but IMO it gave me a piece of mind. Also gave me a 2 year warranty, with unlimited miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts