BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator died on Saturday night, so once the weather inproved I removed my alternator, what a job that was without a ring spanner and short ratchet, anyway as soon as the unit was free I had a look up the cooling port and noticed that the internals were 1. unprotected and 2. full of crap i.e. dead leaves, small stones etc. Therefore I am amazed there doesn't seem to be any filter in the ducting to the alternator, is this right or should there be something there ?? I intend to put a bit of tights (once I rip them off the Mrs) over the intake on the front bumper and I was thinking of trying to put something in the ducting itself, any suggestions ?

cheers,
Phil.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Phlem5 said:
My alternator died on Saturday night, so once the weather inproved I removed my alternator, what a job that was without a ring spanner and short ratchet, anyway as soon as the unit was free I had a look up the cooling port and noticed that the internals were 1. unprotected and 2. full of crap i.e. dead leaves, small stones etc. Therefore I am amazed there doesn't seem to be any filter in the ducting to the alternator, is this right or should there be something there ?? I intend to put a bit of tights (once I rip them off the Mrs) over the intake on the front bumper and I was thinking of trying to put something in the ducting itself, any suggestions ?

cheers,
Phil.
Phil
I would suggest just checking the duct two or three times a yr for debris.
There was never an inline filter to the alternator.
I see where you are going with the tights idea...!
It may work but I would leave it open & just check it.

I have the original alternator on my car still. It seems that cars used in the city seeing low mileage but lots of stop, start then heat soak at idle in traffic would likely fail alternators due to heat stress. I know one chap who does not frequent the board who has a 3.8 that still has extended warranty.
He is on his third alternator in the life of the car. BMW have stumped up for the last one. He drives in London a lot so there may be an issue though hardly conclusive.

Ducts only work when the vehicle is moving..... BMW knew there was some issue with heat or they would not have bothered with the elaborate ducting.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Farrell, I am amazed given the level of attention BMW Motorsport gave the B38 that they did not think the alternator could use some debris protection. Since refitting my alternator I would say the car is pulling slightly better and running a little smoother, so there is a connection with alternator condition and engine performance, mind you, the air filter (k&n) was in need of a good clean, so that will have made a difference too.
Whilst I decide what to do (tights or not) I have left the duct off of the alternator, it is sitting about an inch from the port, my thinking being that any larger debris will be blown out of the duct before it gets to the alternator. I hope I dont fry it but I'm on the motorway most of the time, a/c off.
Cheers,
Phil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts