BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

Two days before a long road trip (which we planned to drive in the M5 of course) the alternator in my car died, bringing with it the battery. They finally fixed the alternator (took a couple days to get the new part, so we had to take the 330Cic for the road trip - don't want to do THAT again!) and when I returned from the trip, they went to bring the car around to me and it would not start. Sitting too long without a charge I guess. They charged the battery and then it has started fine ever since, BUT...

My door locks on the driver and sometimes passenger door don't seem to respond to the remote fob any more. The rear windows won't go down with the door buttons, locked or not.

Things seem strange - any ideas?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Redshift said:
Hi all:

Two days before a long road trip (which we planned to drive in the M5 of course) the alternator in my car died, bringing with it the battery. They finally fixed the alternator (took a couple days to get the new part, so we had to take the 330Cic for the road trip - don't want to do THAT again!) and when I returned from the trip, they went to bring the car around to me and it would not start. Sitting too long without a charge I guess. They charged the battery and then it has started fine ever since, BUT...

My door locks on the driver and sometimes passenger door don't seem to respond to the remote fob any more. The rear windows won't go down with the door buttons, locked or not.

Things seem strange - any ideas?
How old is your battery? I would bet on you needing a new one.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the original one. I asked over and over again and they claimed it was "fine" and did not need replacing. I don't think there is any way for me to force the issue or I would. :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
Redshift said:
It's the original one. I asked over and over again and they claimed it was "fine" and did not need replacing. I don't think there is any way for me to force the issue or I would. :(
I would od thi sif I were you. Just buy a new battery and install it yourself, if the gremlins go away then that is proof you needed a new battery. If they do not go away, just return the battery that same day and say something like "it did not fit in my car" :D.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out the problem is more complicated than I thought. I went to start the car last night and it was dead. Had roadside come and give it a jump start today, took it in, and they found that the charging system AND battery were both "good" but that there was a little bit of extra draw (almost 100mA versus the allowed 50mA) from somewhere. There are apparently all sorts of stored codes that they are researching that may have something to do with this problem. I suspect they'll have the car for a while so I'll report back on what they find as soon as I know.

·
10,455 Posts
probably caused by your coil overs, better get GC on the phone... :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those bast'ds. Haha. Actually I think what caused it is the window tint. Another possible source is the cup holders that I installed. Perhaps a warranty denial is forthcoming. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts