BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father's lease on his E39 M5 is up at the end up June. Which is before the E60 M5 debuts in America. What suggestions does anyone have for alternatives? Keep in mind Audi's RS6 isn't being made this year. Should he just get a 545i (550i doesn't arrive till October)? or something else?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
jkads said:
My father's lease on his E39 M5 is up at the end up June. Which is before the E60 M5 debuts in America. What suggestions does anyone have for alternatives? Keep in mind Audi's RS6 isn't being made this year. Should he just get a 545i (550i doesn't arrive till October)? or something else?
For a purchase this year, he has no chance of getting an M5. I would get the 550. Performance should be very similar to the E39 M5 but with a much more technologically advanced car. I would also get on the list for an E60 M5. I would guess it would take a couple years to get the M5, and in the meantime he can enjoy the 550.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Alpha43 said:
So was the 550 official announced? Because i was also thinking of getting the 545 till the m5 comes out. But now i might wait for the 550.
~Alpha~
Don't know if it's official yet, but for sure, the 550 with 360 hp, 360 tq will be out as a 2006 model year car - probably starting production in Sept.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know if it's official yet, but for sure, the 550 with 360 hp, 360 tq will be out as a 2006 model year car - probably starting production in Sept.
I thought hp was closer to 396 as in the E39 M5, no?

I'll find out today. I'm heading to my local BMW dealer right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the dealer and the 550 is due in October in 360 hp. The 545 and 550 are available in smg iii, manual and automatic.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I doubt it is SMG III, that will be most likely reserved for the M cars. I am sure SMG will be offered. I doubt the 545 will be available, especially once the last supply of the 4.4L engines are put into cars. It would make ZERO sense to have the 545 AND the 550.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Wolverine said:
For a purchase this year, he has no chance of getting an M5. I would get the 550. Performance should be very similar to the E39 M5 but with a much more technologically advanced car. I would also get on the list for an E60 M5. I would guess it would take a couple years to get the M5, and in the meantime he can enjoy the 550.
I seriously doubt about the wait. We all have been "programmed" to think serious $$ over MSRP on hot cars, especially with the precedence set during the dot com days. But those days are long gone. I can get SLR, Carrera GT, DB9, Vanquish, SL 65, etc. ALL at MSRP. You just have to be a smart negotiator; and if the big city BMW dealer gives you a bullsh$t song and dance about how hot their cars are, just go to a smaller dealership outside the major cities, and I am sure you will find an M5 for MSRP, or less if you wait. I am expected and reassured that my #1 spot car is in fact reserved for me, at MSRP.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would not get the SMG on the 550 as it is greatly inferior to the M version (either II or III). Get the manual or the auto.

Tom

·
Registered
955 Posts
jkads said:
I just thought it was III, you are probably right that it is not.
there are two type of clutch pedal less manual transimssion BMW uses.

the one they use for M cars is developed by BMW and Siemens, and is build by Getrag.

and the one they use for non-M cars, which is from Magnetti Maralli.

so presumably, the SMG for the 550i will not be the same as the one available for M5.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
jkads said:
Just got back from the dealer and the 550 is due in October in 360 hp. The 545 and 550 are available in smg iii, manual and automatic.
SMG III is the 7 sp only - it definitely will not be available on the 550. First car will me the M5, then the M6.

BMW may have incorporated some software changes to the SMG program for the 550 though. I don't know anything about that. They seem to be able to change a number of software related things 'on the fly' such as the active steering, so maybe they've improved the SMG II for the 550.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Honestly im not sure if the 550 will come out this year.. i say this because you can download the 2006 brochure and it already has the new updated 3 liter engines there for 2006 but it does not mention anything of the 550....It doesnt make sense to have new brochures come out every couple of months.

~Alpha~

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I wouldn't let the lack of a sales brochure be the deciding factor. For instance, everything (BMW/BMWNA) says that the M5 will hit our shores this fall, but there is still no brochures. My dealer mentioned that they only received the E60 stuff weeks before it was released here, and have just started getting stuff on the 750.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts