BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
M-Fünf said:
Whoa! I think you're right...that's going to take some thought. You're going to need to route the phone connection wires under the storage tray toward the rear of the car, and then probably cut a hole at the back of the tray to bring the wires up through that, then connect the wires to the bottom of the phone tray... hmmm

Do you have any pictures of the bottom of the phone tray where the wires connect that show the connectors and the size of the wire bundle? If so, post them or send them to me and I'll take a look if you'd like...I can go out and look at my setup and see if there's an "easy" way to do this...

Good Luck!!!
:cheers:
I haven't got pictures yet. The Plug is a good 3cm wide and 1 cm thick. The wire it self is about 1 cm thick.

Do you have the phone with the tilting arm rest?

I'll try and take pictures later on and post them.

I'm going to think long and hard but there must be a solution. Every problem has a solution or there is no problem.
;)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
marcducati said:
Do you have the phone with the tilting arm rest?
No, I don't have the phone. I just place my mobile phone in that pocket so it's handy (no pun intended :hihi: )

I agree, there is always a solution to a problem. Maybe instead of cutting a hole big enough to pass the connector through, you can cut a "notch" at the edge of the storage tray or housing that you can slip the cable into, limiting the amount of cutting you need to do...

·
Registered
315 Posts
M-Fünf said:
No, I don't have the phone. I just place my mobile phone in that pocket so it's handy (no pun intended :hihi: )

I agree, there is always a solution to a problem. Maybe instead of cutting a hole big enough to pass the connector through, you can cut a "notch" at the edge of the storage tray or housing that you can slip the cable into, limiting the amount of cutting you need to do...
Il take the plug appart, take the pins out and passe it like that. I still have to study the problem. Keep you posted

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
I seem to recall a NON-Sliding, but Tilting base that was mentioned by "the ultimate armest guide" on bmwtips. Does anyone have this? Also, do you know if our US spec armrest (with phone cradle) can fit nicely on this base without any milling? Part number for the non-sliding but tilting base would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

-Jay

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi.

I sent a message but that didn't really clear it up.

I have the new tilt/slide armrest but it doesn't slide forward far enough to get to the holes to screw the leather armest from the bottom.

There is a pin that if removed, would allow the base to slide forward enough to get the holes in the bottom to line up with the holes to which the armrest must be secured..

Any ideas?

Ryan

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ok.

I just finished grinding.

I took down the plastic cup just to where the ribs are gone. I took the metal down as far as I feel comfortable.

I cannot get the pins near the holes as the bottom of the plastic cup is flat on the base and there is no more room to go.

How much did you take off the bottom of the plastic cup?

Thanks.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ag02M5 said:
Thanks.
Ryan
Hey Ryan,
Sounds like you're getting there. I took down the plastic tray until I could almost see through the bottom...It's really thin.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ag02M5 said:
Ok.

I just finished grinding.

I took down the plastic cup just to where the ribs are gone. I took the metal down as far as I feel comfortable.

I cannot get the pins near the holes as the bottom of the plastic cup is flat on the base and there is no more room to go.

Thanks.

Ryan
Ryan,

PM me if you would like some hi-res photos of my hack job.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Nicely done man!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Can you post a pic of the armrest mounted to the new base?

I want to compare the gap.

Also, now the plastic holder is what contacts the base, not the rest of the armrest frame. Did you do anything to make more solid like washers around screws?

Thanks again.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ryan,
I'll try to remember to take a couple of pic's tonight...

The gap is larger, and I have noticed that when I lean on the armrest, it flexes more than it used to.

My plan to solve that is to add a short spacer around the screw. That should stiffen it up. Washers would work, too, but might take up too much space...

I don't have the 5'er with me today, so I'll have to wait until I get home to check it out...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts