BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing my Ski vacations somewhere in Austria or Switzerland and will take the M5 with me :)

The Michelin PA3 235/45 17 tires that I have are already awesome for snow, but I wonder, are you guys using chains for when the going gets tough? If so, which chains are you using?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I've not used chains on the M5, only on a previous E46 touring, but I believe the BMW chains are made by RUD, so something like the RUD-Matic Disc which has a special protection ring for alloy wheels, or RUD-Matic easy2go if you want something cheaper would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
going to Alps you may face the situation when you will definitely need snow-chain
or you may not
or you may just skip that attempt to go up hills where 3 miles distance includes 1 mile elevation
:)

For myself I am usually going to safer options and just put one set of snow-chain in boot. Last year I used them several times, the year before that I didn't. It depends where your accommodation is.

If you decide to have one - go to ebay and don't spend more than 20-30GBP per set of two chains.

·
Registered
33 Posts
And few more things:

1. if you decide to have it
- try it ones on normal dry ground just to know how to get it on wheel and most important how to get it off!
- check that you can remove wheel if you need to - sometimes they really overtightened

2. price
- don't buy "original" or whatever it is for 100E+ per set
- don't buy in shops/fuel stations for 60E+
- buy it from ebay for 30

3. construction
- if you intend to use it ones or so - just go to normal/usual one
- there is "fast-installation" version of snow-chain. They are much easier to install and remove and you won't be mark your hand. Downside is cost (130-150e and more) and they have sense only if you have to use them on regular basis

4. do not over-pump your tyres. in 90% cases sensible driving and good tyres just enough to handle snow in mountains.

Last one - I will be in Alps for 3 weeks near NY (1 before and 2 after)- just love it after NY with empty slopes and reasonable prices for everything.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advices!

I will invest in a set of chains before going, for sure :) Can't wait to take the M5 for this trip!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts