BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Alpine have recently announced the iLX-007 head unit which features Apple's Carplay system AND, crucially, is shallow depth which makes installation into cars like the BMW E39 5 series, E46 3 series, E53 X5 and E38 7 Series much easier due to not having to modify the cabin airbox.

Availability from Alpine USA dealers and stockists right now the retail price is $899 USD. This is likely to be discounted once the unit has been out on general release for a bit longer, so the street price will be somewhat less.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

The unit looks to be very well featured and includes aspects such as Time Alignment, adjustable Crossover points, EQ levels etc which are all selected on an App and then uploaded to the device. Obviously, once a full specification list and product page is posted, there will be much more information on it's capabilities.

As more and more of the premium brands release mechanism-less head units, there will be more choice on the market. This Alpine unit joins the Parrot Asteroid Smart as the only unit's currently with full touchscreens that fit into the ranges of BMW's mentioned above.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
doesn't have Bluetooth hands free calling, so not sure the point. I would rather have that feature than all of the apps integration that I have no clue if I would ever use

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi

It doesn't need bluetooth as once you plug you iphone into it (I'll assume for a sec it has a mic on the front panel or you can connect up and install an external mic) you can talk as per normal and all audio is routed through the unit. Remember, you have to physically plug your iphone to the unit (in the case of OEM cars, into their OEM hardware) as per what Car Play is all about. It'll be the same for when Android Auto is released next year.

Here's Apple's Carplay site - https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

I'm *hoping* Alpine release a similar sized chassis head unit that's not Apple Carplay/Android Auto - just their own other head units !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Hmm. I will have to check into that. If it offers hands free calls through the unit that would work. I have an iPhone 5s and no plans to move off that platform for now anyway. I don't mind plugging in the phone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
294 Posts
It has time adjustments, but not a true active crossover to allow for low, mid, high setup similar to OEM. However, very few headunits offer that, especially in a double din nav-unit. Overall this seems like a good compromise.

·
Registered
294 Posts
On my M3 I had trouble finding amps small enough that had wide ranging crossovers with band pass capability, so I had to go with an active setup. With a passive component setup this head unit would be perfect though.

·
Registered
569 Posts
But does it work with the M5 OEM DSP amp? That's the only thing holding me back from getting an aftermarket unit.

I'm weighing the Dynavin unit, but prefer the Avin unit that doesn't work with DSP.

·
Registered
632 Posts
doesn't have Bluetooth hands free calling, so not sure the point. I would rather have that feature than all of the apps integration that I have no clue if I would ever use

I would be surprised that this system does not have bluetooth or some other technology that's like it. The demonstrations that I have seen with CarPlay were all wireless and phone calls were made using the interface in the dash. It would agree with you that it is pointless if this were not wireless.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
But does it work with the M5 OEM DSP amp? That's the only thing holding me back from getting an aftermarket unit.

I'm weighing the Dynavin unit, but prefer the Avin unit that doesn't work with DSP.
I don't believe these generic HU's could be connected to the factory DSP system. Should be able to reuse the speakers, but need to drive them from an external amp or directly off the HU. Seems likely that wiring is a roll your own affair.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I looked at the Apple Carplay site, and sure enough you can make calls, check voicemail, use maps, SIRI - basically anything you can do with the phone you can do with the phone remotely connected to this unit.

Looks pretty compelling for an iPhone user. The biggest downside would be selling the car to a non iPhone user, but I suppose there is nothing preventing me from going back to stock at some point if the Nav unit is repairable.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

Perhaps in future updates to the Carplay OS, maybe they'll 'connect' the phone wirelessly via bluetooth - but for now, it seems the phone is connected via the physical wire.

The oem DSP speakers are going to be very old in any car with them - so past their best, also, they don't really provide 'great' sounding audio in many owners opinion, although I know quite a few people/owners are happy with the sound. The 'only' head unit that directly is able to drive the DSP speakers is the Dynavin N6. To make the DSP speakers perform 'better' is to use G.A.S' specific E39 crossover unit for DSP speakers at an extra $350. I'd rather spend that sort of money on a set of high quality aftermarket speakers which will perform significantly better (although a few guys attest to the DSP speakers being capable of great audio) I think with the Dynavin, it won't support the mid 90's fad of 'church', 'stadium' and 'jazz club' settings either.

The 2V pre-out aspect is bit of a moot point too, the Alpine and other premium brands will use high quality DAC's, IC's and circuitry to provide excellent sound quality. By choosing suitable aftermarket high quality amplifiers and setting them up well, you'd not notice any difference in head unit output voltages.

OEM modules are repairable, over time, the mulitple points of failure mean anyone looking to *stay oem* will have to shell out big amounts of money to keep the setup fully working!

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Hi,

Perhaps in future updates to the Carplay OS, maybe they'll 'connect' the phone wirelessly via bluetooth - but for now, it seems the phone is connected via the physical wire.

The 2V pre-out aspect is bit of a moot point too, the Alpine and other premium brands will use high quality DAC's, IC's and circuitry to provide excellent sound quality. By choosing suitable aftermarket high quality amplifiers and setting them up well, you'd not notice any difference in head unit output voltages.

OEM modules are repairable, over time, the mulitple points of failure mean anyone looking to *stay oem* will have to shell out big amounts of money to keep the setup fully working!

Cheers, Dennis!
I don't mind connecting via a cable, especially if it also charges while driving. The 2V just seems like an odd choice - I just installed a brand new Alpine single DIN unit in my 996, and that one has 4V outputs. I agree it's probably a moot point and any decent amplifier can deal with the signal.

What did you end up doing for wiring?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

It definitely charges the iphone when plugged in! that'd be an absolute fundamental aspect of design and functionality! I also had an Alpine CD/Tuner back in the mid 90's which had 4V pre-outs! For the more 'enthusiastic' car audio sector of the market, 4V pre-outs are more common. Car Play and Android Auto will cater mainly for the masses and although other aspects of this unit are excellent, perhaps a good proportion of them won't use the more advanced features ! Still early days for Carplay and Android Auto, so will be good to see how things develop in the short and medium term future

I haven't installed this Alpine, it's not released as yet here in the UK! I'm thinking about it, but I refuse to pay full price for an iphone, so might pick up a good used device and use it !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi C4racer,

For me, my install was super easy peasy! My car had the basic radio cassette unit so all power, antenna and speaker leads are in the dash area. I just plugged in a harness adaptor for aftermarket head unit's and then simply plugged my unit in. I didn't need to connect the antenna as I stream via the TuneIn app on my smartphone as I have unlimited data on my tariff/plan. No need for speaker connections as I use aftermarket amplifiers. So installtion in terms of wiring took 5 seconds.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Hi,

It definitely charges the iphone when plugged in! that'd be an absolute fundamental aspect of design and functionality! I also had an Alpine CD/Tuner back in the mid 90's which had 4V pre-outs! For the more 'enthusiastic' car audio sector of the market, 4V pre-outs are more common. Car Play and Android Auto will cater mainly for the masses and although other aspects of this unit are excellent, perhaps a good proportion of them won't use the more advanced features ! Still early days for Carplay and Android Auto, so will be good to see how things develop in the short and medium term future

I haven't installed this Alpine, it's not released as yet here in the UK! I'm thinking about it, but I refuse to pay full price for an iphone, so might pick up a good used device and use it !

Cheers, Dennis!
Try 8v preamp outs with the DRZ9255! Lol.

--Peter

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try 8v preamp outs with the DRZ9255! Lol.

--Peter

A fantastic, no phenomenally specified unit for sure! I'll look for reviews where it's being used and perhaps judged in competition as well!

One for the very high end audiophile guys though, not for the guys who *must keep* their oem DSP speakers!! ;)

Cheers, Dennis!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts