BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from the UK show - MPH04 and spoke with Nick Godfry (ALPINA UK) he had some interesting information (including the subject above !). Please see my report here:

Read it / See it here

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks for the post.

Interesting options for the middle of next year then with the M and B 5's comming out about the same time hopefully:)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Thanks for sharing Neil :)

As discussed here...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44018&highlight=whoop

... it will be a very interesting comparison: M5 vs. B5

An unhealthy overlap has now developed between M-GmBh and Alpina - I think there needs to be some clear air between the two companies. The decision rests with Alpina.

M division has established a very clear sporting/performance identity and Alpina can't shoot themselves in the foot by competing head-on with M division.

Instead of putting emphasis purely on performance (like M), wouldn't they be best served by further developing their image of bespoke exclusivity?!

·
Banned
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ashok Arora said:

As discussed here...

An unhealthy overlap has now developed between M-GmBh and Alpina - I think there needs to be some clear air between the two companies. The decision rests with Alpina.

M division has established a very clear sporting/performance identity and Alpina can't shoot themselves in the foot by competing head-on with M division.

Instead of putting emphasis purely on performance (like M), wouldn't they be best served by further developing their image of bespoke exclusivity?!
I'm pretty sure that the B5 will be a different proposition to the M5 - it will have all the ALPINA hallmarks - e.g. effortless speed. ALPINA never artificially restricts it's cars (unlike M-GmBh) so the fact the top speed is higher than the M5 should not be to alarming. The M as we've seen is pretty no-holds performance-wise - the ALPINA will be more luxury - but still very fast.

Having said all that 507/368 vs. 500/516 does seem to be in ALPINAs favour - particularly when you see where peak power is c. 5,800 in the ALPINA vs. 7000+ in the M5.

It will certainly an interesting year - here's to 2005.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M6 Forever said:
They also mention the B6 (and issues with limited "space under the bonnet"?). Interesting times coming up.
Yip - the implication is that the air flow in is compromised - something initially suggested would occur with the B5 - but from the sound of it resolved. We'll have to see with the B6....

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
i have to disagree on being unhealthy. tuners have always been around pumping out nice products. AMG did the Hammer and yes, later became part of the house brand. Alpina has done collaborations with BMW very well with the X5 4.6is 4.8is? and the Z8 V8 Roadster. BMW M GmbH chose the 155mph speed limiter to go with its high rev NA V10 with 7 speed SMG. Alpina uses a 4.x liter SC engine plus an auto box. Quite different, isnt it? or, they are both very good ****, but different flavour.

If alpina does not do it, chances are the other tuners will do the same things and claims ones up over their M5 anyways.

Alpina has its own loyal followers and niche market. also, Alpina is not sold in North America. if anything, i hope BMW NA decides to import a limited run of B5's. win win situation.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ashok Arora said:

As discussed here...

Isn't that what they have been doing lately? Bespoke exclusivity with only 500 cars per year, allowing personalized choices of colour, where each car in numbered like a Picasso's print?

The differentiation is whether it is a hard-core sports driving sensation or a fast smooth continental cruiser.

·
Registered
344 Posts
fastsaloons said:
I'm pretty sure that the B5 will be a different proposition to the M5 - it will have all the ALPINA hallmarks - e.g. effortless speed. ALPINA never artificially restricts it's cars (unlike M-GmBh) so the fact the top speed is higher than the M5 should not be to alarming. The M as we've seen is pretty no-holds performance-wise - the ALPINA will be more luxury - but still very fast.

Having said all that 507/368 vs. 500/516 does seem to be in ALPINAs favour - particularly when you see where peak power is c. 5,800 in the ALPINA vs. 7000+ in the M5.

It will certainly an interesting year - here's to 2005.

but then M got 7 speed to play with :hihi: so similar max power, more gear ratio, I say M5 won't lose (except for 0 to 60 maybe).

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Have they ran it up against the M5 yet to see?

·
Banned
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not aware of any joint test. But will be keeping my eyes peeled :hihi:

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
Have they ran it up against the M5 yet to see?
Well Alpina haven't officially announced the B5 yet, so it's unlikely there will be any tests publicized before the introduction. Maybe Neil has an idea which carshow that will be at?

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,217 Posts
kees said:
Well Alpina haven't officially announced the B5 yet, so it's unlikely there will be any tests publicized before the introduction. Maybe Neil has an idea which carshow that will be at?
Most likely Geneva in march.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mr Janne said:
Most likely Geneva in march.
I concur - the timings suggested first cars arriving in UK in June - and first customer cars in September. Which means Geneva is best bet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts