BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had it confirmed that the MD (Nick Godfrey) of ALPINA GB has left the company and therefore for the moment at least there is no-one dedicated to this position...

A real shame as Nick had been with Sytner for many years and for the last number had been responsible for making the UK the 2nd most important market for Alpina next to the German 'home' market

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have no idea as to why Nick Godfrey might have left, except Sytner's new emporium is soulless and, under American ownership, dedicated to shifting Mr Bangle's (? bungles) unattractive creations.

Take a trip to USA and you will understand the house style that BMW has adopted. Ironic that Alpina avoids USA but has to take BMW's models in the meantime.

Roll on a European designer to take BMW back to the good looking cars that it used to have,

Paul

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i find it strange as weel that he has left though as you say not wholly surprising.. i understand that he is pursue a personal project and can only wonder what that might involve - as i know he has a passion for classic cars though usually much rarer examples such as d types and morgans and vintage ferrari's rather than anything from the black forest...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
How will this affect the investigation and enquiries regarding the older Alpina? Will enthusiastic owners suddenly come up against a wall of silence due to the staff that will gradually be placed into Sytners who will have one goal and that is to SELL the car, and not research one that was supplied nigh on 20 years ago?

I thought it was a poor move for the enthusiast when Sytners were sold to a US company, obviously a good one for Frank Sytner though!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to be honest Andy - Nick was never the best source for researching the older Alpina's.. that information was always best sourced from Leicester - where the parts manager (an ex Nottingham employee) is a keen Alpina enthusiast...

Nick was always much more sales orientated and would always be looking more forwards than backwards...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
So on that basis, if you were to enquire about a certain older car at Nottingham, by giving the required details etc, would they then pass that request over to Leicester? Or would they hunt through anything they may have tucked away somewhere?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tbh i've never found that they ever did much scouring of information for you when you are looking for info... Nottingham had a Logbook of builds which is very sketchy in information where as Leicester has the build cards... which although still very sketchy does contain more information...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
In that case, and as I am researching my B10 a little at the moment, I will call Leicester to see if they have more details on my car!
Thanks Andy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes indeed.. just ring up first and speak to Gary in the Parts department 1st...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Andy G said:
How will this affect the investigation and enquiries regarding the older Alpina? Will enthusiastic owners suddenly come up against a wall of silence due to the staff that will gradually be placed into Sytners who will have one goal and that is to SELL the car, and not research one that was supplied nigh on 20 years ago?

I thought it was a poor move for the enthusiast when Sytners were sold to a US company, obviously a good one for Frank Sytner though!
Just curious -what American company owns Sytners?

thanks

David

·
Registered
669 Posts
D4 said:
the company is called United Auto which is owned by Roger Penske
He is a big name in racing here..it is a **** shame they can not bring Alpina's in to the US. I wonder if United Auto can bring Alpina parts into the usa?

thanks for the info

David

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
GaAlpinaowner said:
He is a big name in racing here..it is a **** shame they can not bring Alpina's in to the US. I wonder if United Auto can bring Alpina parts into the usa?

thanks for the info

David
http://www.alpina-usa.com/

Company called KSK imports some Alpina stuff to the US - don't think they have any of the performance parts, though, which makes sense as you can only get those even over here if you already own an Alpina-manufactured car... (with the obvious exception of the older models)

·
Registered
669 Posts
hythe said:
http://www.alpina-usa.com/

Company called KSK imports some Alpina stuff to the US - don't think they have any of the performance parts, though, which makes sense as you can only get those even over here if you already own an Alpina-manufactured car... (with the obvious exception of the older models)
They are also the most expensive distributor in the world for Alpina parts...in fact they mark up parts to what ever they want cost wise... a total rip!

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Cant beleive how unserious impression the only official Alpina importer for USA gives the visitor. The site is really bad.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Gustav said:
Cant beleive how unserious impression the only official Alpina importer for USA gives the visitor. The site is really bad.
Well I priced up a set of springs for my B10 and they cam back with $310.. each + shipping !! :hihi: dont think so!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
jimmy01 said:
Well I priced up a set of springs for my B10 and they cam back with $310.. each + shipping !! :hihi: dont think so!!
rear B7 Turbo emblem.....$125.00 ouch!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts