BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would say not "an Alpina". Just a 78-79 6'er with some assortment of Alpina parts on it. If it had a B9 engine, it's from somewhere else, but I would tend to doubt that, too.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Maybe a Sytner B9?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Were there any B9 engines with L-jet.

There were 2 early chassis B9 coupes produced; is this one of them?

Did Sytner build any LHD coupes?

Why would the placque have 6-010?

Just a few questions that don't seem to have good answers for this one.

Maybe with proper documentation, it could have an early Alpina tuned engine that was done after the initial purchase and then had the other items installed per the owners request.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
looks like a messed up jigsaw puzzle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Mop,

I strongly advise you to take a closer look at this car.

Of the two B9 coupés made by Alpina on the basis of the "old" chassis, the first one was red, and it had the production-number 10.
What a coincidence...
This red car was featured in Auto-Motor-Sport in April 1982.
According to Alpina the car was sold to Japan in August 1982.
But cars travel alot nowadays, so you must check it anyway.

Check the VIN: the red B9 had a VIN ending with 55 91 348.
The engine should be number 2710. There should also be 55 91 348, with xB9x below. See the B9/1 example on the picture below.

Good luck.
2275xxx
(owner of the other one of these early B9 coupés)

PS Please let me know if you get more information on this car

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow! Very interesting! I had no idea they'd been working on any B9's at that point. Thought they all came much later (certainly post-motronic).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Alpina B9 L-Jet

Since BMW introduced the 3.5 motor in July 1978 is seems natural that Alpina would IMMEDIATELY use the the new 3.5 liter motor and make their usual modifications even on this early L-Jet 3.5 motor. Why would Alpina wait years to modify the 3.5 liter motor? Tuners usually want to jump on new motors and models to make their modificationsas quickly as possible. I have heard of some early Alpina B9 L-Jet motors fitted to various BMWs. But clearly, there were no official Alpina B9 catalog car models until 1982 the time frame.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That tuning approach to be "first" is a relatively new sentiment. Alpina does extensive reliability testing - perhaps more than any other tuner. As such, their approach is to use proven technology which has met their research and development criteria.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would also suspect they had most of their energy in getting the B7Turbo and B6 to market at about that time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am very interested to hear about this car. 10 years ago I did inquire with Alpina about a 1978 serie 6 rebuilt at Alpina in 1979 and Alpina (Fax from Ilse Reif) responded to me that they did not make B7 then but B8 coupe based on 633 with a 240 HP engine . So it is interesting! A 633 240 HP is still a very interesting car! Maybe the owner indicated B9 by mistake?
I do not speak danish but 15,000 DKK is about 2,000 euros....cheap for a true Alpina if it is although the car needs work (Some rust, and without the wheels, seats, engine...the only Alpina part maybe the instrument panel and the plaque!).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Mop,
Did you manage to get more information about this strange B9 ?
Yes.. The vin ends on 5547292.. The last time it was registered was in Germany in 93. All rust is made and he wants about 6500 Euro for it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting...

Then it is only a coincidence that this car is number 10 of the B9 conversions and has the same color as the "real" Alpina B9 Nr 10.

The B9 engine was available from late 81 or early 82.
In 1982-83 one could buy a B9 or C1 engine and have it fitted to a stock 635csi (resp. 323i) at a dealership, together with other Alpina elements "à la carte".

Many cars were converted by Garage du Bac, by Heidegger and of course by Sytner. In Germany people like Faltz and the like must have done many such upgrades as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts