BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

Headed to the Munich last weekend to pick up the B8. Arrived at 10 am in munich airport and was greeted by Alex (http://www.behrendt-automobile.de/)

Walked out of the airport and the car was there-absolutely beautiful, looks even better in the flesh. Its hard to describe but the way the car sits, and is so un"flash" and understated, I absolutey love it.

Alex then drove me to Freising, which is about 15-20mins from the airport. It was freezing outside, however inside the car is tremendous. Heated Seats!! :eek:

Alex helped me through all the export and insurance details in Freising, and then we headed to where he stores his other cars. There we picked up his Alpina B10 Bi Turbo, which was in superb condition and i think is for sale as well.

Here is the first pic i took of the car:

And here it is with the B10

We head a good drive to RUF. It was very interesting comparing the two cars on the autobahn! One time we were cruising in traffic when all of a sudden a caravan pulls out right in front of alex, who has to brake very hard. We wait for the caravan to pull back into the slow lane,

We have a long way of clear un restricted autobahn. 50km/h, 2nd gear, and we both went for it. The B10 is so quick but I was able to match it all the way to 200lm/h, after that i saw the b10 very slowly pull ahead by a length, to 230km/h when we had to slow. It was a great race, and through it i could smell the exhaust of the B10, which oddly was rather nice hiha

We arrived at RUF and i gave Alex the tour- seeing many R turbos with the adjustable suspension, and a very special RUF:

This is a BRAND new car, no miles, just built, CTR2 Sport. Incredible, really impressed.

I said my good byes, to Alex, and he set off back home :M5launch:

I stayed with my Marcel, Tristan and the rest of the gang at RUF, and then we went on to dinner in munich with some friends. However we couldnt be long as my dad was flying into Munich at 11pm.

When we left to pick him up, you drive along the most amazing bit of autobahn, it is straight and wide for 5+km, really fantastic, I didnt push the car as i was tired and conditions were not great but 250km/h on the speedo was easily reached.

The next day we spent with the RUF's and had a great time test driving their new supercharged 996. Which was as fast as the 996 tt, it felt really great, useable power everywhere, very impressed.

Watched the new Faszination video, which is superb. And it will be out soon, but not until it is 100% perfect. So I would say probably the middle of 05. Also there will be a limited first run of DVD's produced.

That evening we had a really fantastic dinner at the Schreggs Post, but again not too late, as we had a fantastic drive home to get up for, at 5:30am!

So we have to get to Calais, from Thannhausen which is near Munich. Its roughly 950km.

It was really foggy in germany, and sadly most of the autobahn was really twisty and not very good(!) So we couldnt really blast.

All this changed in france....clear, no cars, and great roads...

In a french filling station

Very cold, this ice didnt thaw until we were in the Chunnel:

Speeds reached :wroom: were fantastic. This car doesnt just crush countries,continents, but it could crush galactic travel, its that good at cruising. Nice long 6th gear, loads of torque everywhere. Its more fun than the M5 at cruising. And no limiter. Great going past 255km/h.

We used the onboard computer to be more accurate, and that showd a 270km/h, by that speed it was still accelerating but slowly, one km every second, so it had more, but it was pushing, i feel it could do 285km/h.

So we got to Calais in under 6 hours, with an average speed of 165km/h with two 15mins stops.

Here is a gratuitous speedo shot.

And of course a video of crusing in the Alpina,

http://www.fastdrive.org/download.php?view.412

You have to register but it is free and very good

A few questions about the B8? :cheers:

There is a whistling nose from the engine, it isnt loud but you can hear it at idle, this is what I am most worried about, is it serious? Anyone else have?

At slow speed (3-10km/h) when I turn the wheel sometimes there is a faint clicking sound from the steering column, should i get this sorted out? Or is it normal?

Other than that the car is perfect, Fantastic machine arguably the best ever 3 series in my opinion.

all the best
adam

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Wow very nice Adam! Havent you seen that car before ;) GREAT buy from the best carsales guy there is. As most probably know I bought my B6 3,5 from him:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15306&highlight=b6+3%2C5

Only car I really earned some money on after owning it for along time.

This post makes me really tempted to buy an Alpina B8 but I think I must have a 2001 E39 M5 :)

Maybe...

Does you Alpina hvae an extra fuletank?

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
Excellent write-up Adam!

Good to hear you are satisfied with the B8 - it will be a great car for travelling the length of England with. kinggf

·
Registered
375 Posts
excellent write-up and very nice car!

whistling noise: does this come from the belt drive? If so, replace both belts and all belt tighteners and rolls.

Steering noise: the first thing to check is the power steering reservoir. With engine off, step 10 times on the brake pedal until it gets really hard, this pumps the power steering oil from the hydraulic pressure accumulator back to reservoir. Check the oil level of the reservoir. The level should be around 1 cm below the top of the metal filter insert (there are instructions on the reservoir lid), if necessary fill up with PENTOSIN 11S (not ATF!) , then get rid of any air in the hydraulic circuit:
With the oil reservoir still open , start the engine and turn the steering wheel several times from full lock to full lock and reverse. The oil level will get lower. Close the reservoir lid. Maybe add some more oil, but not more than described above, otherwise it will be overfilled and drop out of the reservoir.

·
Registered
223 Posts
hi adam,

i read your text again and again....and it made me smile ´cause i was thinking of the day that i bought my biturbo from alex. we landed in munich at approx. 12 am and alex picked me and my girlfriend up with the biturbo #0500 :M5thumbs: . as i saw the car in front of the airport i felt like if there were thousands of butterflys in my stomach :haha2: ...

alex is a great guy and he sells perfect cars :blink:

i wish you a lot of fun with your new toy :M5rev:

if you visit alex some day ...drop me a line and i will just drop in for a second with my hurricane.

regards alex

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AlpinaB8 said:
Adam..does the engine vibrate uneavenly when it idles?

When you sit inside the car it shakes very slightly, but i wouldnt say the engine vibrates unevenly.

What would it mean if it is uneven? :eek:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Guys!

Gustav,

Yes it was nice seeing the car again! And Mr Ruf remembered it when he drove back to munich with the 993 Turbo R with the B8 following him! He said he remembered that car.

Kees

Cheers buddy :cheers:

Sherlock,

Thank you very much :)

Mill thank you very much! i will do as you say! Much appreciated

Berlin,

Im glad it brought back happy memories! :) I completely agree, Alex's service and help were really first class,

all the best
adam

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Congrats - excellent as usual Adam. I guess it was a little colder than Malaysia eh? :hihi:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deckard,

Thanks very much!

Ashok,

Cheers buddy!

all the best
adam

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nice write up Adam.Enjoyed it!Congrats with the B8,it's a special car.

And yes,the B10 is amazing at high speeds. ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice write up Adam, I just love the way the car is a wolf in a sheep`s clothes - Yellow blinkers and all :haha: ! By the way, imo that CTR2 sport is the the coolest new Porsche(RUF) available.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi Adam,

if your steering problem isn't fixed with filling up the hydraulic oil, it may be a problem the early B8 had with the steering - and if I remeber correctly, your description sounds very familar. Alpina replaced my steering with the assembly from the Diesel model since the motor gets too hot and seems to burn some of the gaskets inside the steering. The Diesel engine reaches similar temperatures and that's why BMW seems to use different gaskets on those parts. When was your B8 build ?

Cheers, Alex

1 - 20 of 31 Posts