BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alpina tell me they made a few rhd B8's, but Sytner say they only ever imported one B8 and that was lhd. Does anybody know of the whereabouts of the rhd cars? and if any are available? Failing that I'm looking for a good coupe with leather interior.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Alpina never built any RHD cars because the V8 got in the way of the steering column,

all the best
adam

·
Registered
146 Posts
defintely no rhd ones only 221 were ever built, all LHD all at Alpina in Germany, Sytners imported the only official model which was a P-reg silver coupe which was LHD

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
GreenB8 said:
Alpina tell me they made a few rhd B8's, but Sytner say they only ever imported one B8 and that was lhd. Does anybody know of the whereabouts of the rhd cars? and if any are available? Failing that I'm looking for a good coupe with leather interior.
Who on earth at Alpina told you this???

Given the godknowshowmany changes they had to make to the bulkhead to get the V8 to fit, even with LHD, RHD was always going to be a non-starter...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hythe said:
Who on earth at Alpina told you this???

Given the godknowshowmany changes they had to make to the bulkhead to get the V8 to fit, even with LHD, RHD was always going to be a non-starter...
That's what I thought until I called them. His name was C Kratzer, he was adamant that a few were made. I wondered if perhaps they had gone to Japan or Brunei or similar.

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
GreenB8 said:
That's what I thought until I called them. His name was C Kratzer, he was adamant that a few were made. I wondered if perhaps they had gone to Japan or Brunei or similar.
A few B8s went to Japan. However I don't think any RHD were made.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
kees said:
A few B8s went to Japan. However I don't think any RHD were made.
Four B8 4.0 models were built and sent to Japan, as I recall... certainly the first one (of which all the photos were taken) was LHD.

The Japanese apparently have/had this strange thing going on where it was seen as cool to have an LHD European car...

Who knows, maybe it's true - extremely weird, if so.

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
alpinab846 said:
All B8 4.0 were sold to Japan....
One prototype is rumoured to have remained in Germany. It looks like I may have tracked down one of the B8 4.0 in Japan - hope to get pictures later this week. :haha2:

·
Registered
299 Posts
afaik and as mentioned in the "Alpina Chronik" all four cars were shipped. In fact the 4.0 with 315 PS didn`t have a chance against the M3 3.2-a clever decision by Alpina to take the 4.6 Engine instead....

·
Registered
24 Posts
hythe said:
Four B8 4.0 models were built and sent to Japan, as I recall... certainly the first one (of which all the photos were taken) was LHD.

The Japanese apparently have/had this strange thing going on where it was seen as cool to have an LHD European car...

Who knows, maybe it's true - extremely weird, if so.
The japanese, like to drive LHD cars because people in japan have to pay serious money to import a LHD car, so the fact there driving a LHD drives makes everyone seem to think that there seriously loaded / rich, Yeah weird, i know.

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
alpinab846 said:
afaik and as mentioned in the "Alpina Chronik" all four cars were shipped. In fact the 4.0 with 315 PS didn`t have a chance against the M3 3.2-a clever decision by Alpina to take the 4.6 Engine instead....
The Alpina Chronik is wrong on a number of points. There were at least 5 B8 4.0's.

GreenB8 - post your B8 Coupe requirements (mileage, price, etc) and I will see what I can track down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes there were 5 B8's and not 4 imported solely to japan in which they all had the 4.0 V8 engine, can't remember if they where 300BHP or 313BHP engines, but for sure they only had a 4.0Litre variant. while the remainder of the cars had 4.6Litre 333BHP.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
c kratzer at alpina is a young guy but he would not say something unless hes sure and he does know his stuff,so may be he was thinking of the b10 v8 when you were talking to him, he deals with parts for dealers across the world including uk.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
and he speaks perfect english

1 - 17 of 17 Posts