BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may finally own the elusive B7 turbo car. I am working out a trade with the owner. So, I am looking to hear from anyone here that might be interested in owning this rare bird. I'm just kind of feeling the waters to decide if I should sell it now as is instead of restoring it. If the interest is not there, I will restore it to it's former glory and sell it for 1 million dollars! Mwa..ha..ha!

1985, 130k kilometers (80k miles)

There are only 2 or 3 of these cars here in the states.

The car will need a complete going through and respray. There is one dent on the right rear fender that will need some body work and it needs a new hood, which I have. There is just a little rust in the usual places.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Needs some work indeed but could be tunred into a really nice car !
I had an E12 B7 Turbo that was truely impressive (but not reliable).
Stunning cars, please don't forget the Dekor after repaint ...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi, nice car and yes It needs a bit of love and help :)

The car looks kind of low both on the back and also a little bit at the front?

/S

·
Registered
669 Posts
Jon great find - wow 80k miles? Also real important question, what number car is this from the plaque between the seats?
reminds me of my find yrs ago....ok I will bite? What is the asking price/trade in price?
curious that the rear apron is aftermkt - And the front end w/o spoiler - must have been in frontend smash
looks pretty complete topside - except for front spoiler, wheel cap - but the seats look mint condition, it will need a new front and rear spoiler, new rear bumper middle section - check the 2 rear bumpersides - one side is close to extinct from BMW
look underside for all the alpina specific parts -
Does it have the orig dogleg tranny?
yes it looks like there is some rust on it

yes possibly lower than normal although it looks better this way IMO. Let me know what suspension is on it - I am looking at lowering mine and installing the stripes

I know what mine cost to refurb - and to me it is totally worth it. If you do it, be prepared to keep it a while as right now the mkt is crap - with stupid offers - but a great time to buy in the condition yours is in. Let me know if I can assist and congrats - :thumbsup:

And whatever you do - do not damage the drip mouldings - they are extinct. What is wrong with the hood - it looks straight.

More pictures please of interior - and underside rear axle -

Darn it my wife just saw me inquiring........

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey David,

I'll have to get the number off of the plaque tomorrow. A couple of things this car has is the rear aux. heater under the rear seat. Supposedly, it also has some type of fuel heater to warm the fuel before starting. It does have the original dogleg tranny and the rear diff. cooler. The front spoiler is cracked and needs refurbishment/replacement.

As far as the springs go, a mechanic friend of mine who works at BMW was doing some work on this car for the owner as one of the front springs was broken. He had told me that the Alpina springs cross reference with the M5 springs. Now whether this is true or not, I don't know. The rear springs, as far as I know, are original.

Jon

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hey David,

I'll have to get the number off of the plaque tomorrow. A couple of things this car has is the rear aux. heater under the rear seat. Supposedly, it also has some type of fuel heater to warm the fuel before starting. It does have the original dogleg tranny and the rear diff. cooler. The front spoiler is cracked and needs refurbishment/replacement.

As far as the springs go, a mechanic friend of mine who works at BMW was doing some work on this car for the owner as one of the front springs was broken. He had told me that the Alpina springs cross reference with the M5 springs. Now whether this is true or not, I don't know. The rear springs, as far as I know, are original.

Jon

Hi!
That is a nice basis for a great-to-be car.
Just one thing: The "fuel heater" that you talk about refers to the fact that the heater is fuel driven, not meant to heat fuel (could be quite dangerous that...:eek:oohhh:). It works like a water boiler, burns fuel to heat the water in the cooling system, which in turn is circulated around by a electric pump so that the engine (and cabin, if heater fan is turned on) can be warmed before cold start.

Good luck with the car.
:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
141 Posts

Jon
I am not sure that is entirely correct. The Alpina spring #31 33 605 was used on the B7/1 and B7/1 coupe as well as the kits for the 635 and M635 from 6/87. These may have also been used on the kits for the M5 but I do not show it as the same spring.

I do have a good used pair of the B7 springs available if you need them.

Todd

·
Registered
141 Posts
Front springs are totally different on M635/M5 E28 and they don´t fit on a B7 ! .
Ok, so Alpina has the spring applications listed incorrectly in their parts catalogs?

Anyway the extra set of front springs that I have are # 31 33 605 and can be evidenced by the markings on the springs. Per Alpina they fit the following applications:

B7 Turbo/1
B7 Turbo /1 Katalysator
B7 Turbo Coupe/1
B7 Turbo Coupe/1 Katalysator
M635CSi

I know there were a couple of springs for the M5 based on points for different installed options and some of those springs were also used on the M635. The factory springs were definately different from the Alpina springs because the Alpina springs were progressive or tapered wire design. So, I would say the M5 springs are different but I can not say that they will not work if the correct ones are not available.

So I find the above quote a little vague and I am not able to match it up to the documentation that I have. Maybe if we were to elaborate on "totally different" and "don't fit", it would clear things up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ok I explain a little bit better :)

First , the B7 ( E24/ E28) are built on 635/535 cars not on M-cars.

The M635/M5 E28 don´t have the same front spring strut as the normal 635/535 . The front springs on the M-cars are wider and will not fit on a 635 or a B7 !

For ex in the Alpina part catalouge for E24 the suspention kit to a M635 has a different nr than to 635.

I bought a M635 back in 93 and I changed the suspention on that car.
When I got the new springs for the front they where not wide enough to go down in the "spring plate" beacause they had sent me springs to a "normal" 635 :eek:oohhh:

If you post the question on the M5 E28 forum here on the board I am sure someone will confirm that M5 E28 springs don´t fit on a 535.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok so the Alpina catalog and parts list is wrong.

It is true the 31 00 611 kit is for the 628/635 and the 33 00 612 kit is for the M635 and these kits differ only in the front spring. The 611 kit shows front spring # 31 36 604 and the 612 kit shows front spring # 605.

So according to what you are saying, this is incorrect because all of my list also show the parts for the B7 Turbo using spring # 605.

I guess since all of my paperwork shows the B7 and M635 using the same front spring, I need to know what I have. What does the # 31 33 605 spring fit?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Lovely car that deserves restoration :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ok so the Alpina catalog and parts list is wrong.

It is true the 31 00 611 kit is for the 628/635 and the 33 00 612 kit is for the M635 and these kits differ only in the front spring. The 611 kit shows front spring # 31 36 604 and the 612 kit shows front spring # 605.

So according to what you are saying, this is incorrect because all of my list also show the parts for the B7 Turbo using spring # 605.

I guess since all of my paperwork shows the B7 and M635 using the same front spring, I need to know what I have. What does the # 31 33 605 spring fit?
Todd I went through this a yr or 2 ago and never got the coreect answer. Let me know what you discover. Can someone verify what this part number is for ? #31 33 605 - is it for either e28/e24 front spring?

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Jon great find - wow 80k miles? Also real important question, what number car is this from the plaque between the seats?
reminds me of my find yrs ago....ok I will bite? What is the asking price/trade in price?
I'm curious too -- what price is a car in this condition changing hands for? As a 35+ year BMW fanatic (and former purchaser of a new E28 535i back in 1985 that I kept for 12 years and stupidly sold in immaculate condition), I'm very interested in Alpina cars from the late 70's and 80's in addition to original condition/unmolested E21/23/28/30s (which are very hard to find).

Chuck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Todd I went through this a yr or 2 ago and never got the coreect answer. Let me know what you discover. Can someone verify what this part number is for ? #31 33 605 - is it for either e28/e24 front spring?
I have scanned a some pages from a '85 Alpina partslist.
http://www.betuwe.net/~heijckmann/alpina/teileliste1985.pdf

Part #31 33 605 is not mentioned.
There is a diference in the Fahrwerk FE 1:
518-M535i (E28), 628CSi, 635 CSi (ab Bj. 5/82) #31 00 611
M635Csi #31 00 612

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Jon - welcome to the madness! Looks like yours is almost as crusty as my coupe. Sorry I didn't catch your post sooner, but I've been tearing down my intake side to have the injectors serviced, as well as do some cleanup and "while you're in there" tasks. Don't hesitate to include me in your list of resources as you're digging into things...

BTW, I hope to have my car ready for the SE Sharkfest. It is the weekend of April 25-27 in Winston-Salem, NC. There should be at least three Alpina's there. You should come visit. The website, for more info, is www.bmwsharkfest.org . Hope to see you there (you, too, David!) :cheers:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Maybe not 3 :sad2:

What's the holdup, Todd? If it just ain't pretty, don't worry - yours will look stunning next to mine! BTW, check out the other thread I just started - need help in identifying a part...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts