BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought it could be fun to share the process of tuning my B5 Touring (that I bought a couple of weeks ago) to the goal of 600+hp with minimum changes but ofc. keep 100% driveability, serviceability & life expectancy.

I've only done work on one ASA-charged car so far, that was a Z3M Coupe with a moderate 400hp (wheels) - back in 2005, so it will be interesting

Alpina as always doesn't share much on what hardware they used, so we simply go trial and error
- after all it's "only" a 20% increase we are looking for.

Alpina seems to have done their homework with 9.0:1 forged pistons, worked on crankcase ventilation and fuel delivery - the typical fallpits for supercharging are already addressed !, some questions remains, gearbox and added torque is one of them. another is standard rods (but they are forged to my understanding in N62B44)

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Working on blueprint (3D drawing) on the new pulley for the Supercharger, mabye getting 3D printer for fit test - wouldn't that be cool. - any recommendations?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nice project.
Just checked the parts catalogue for B5(S) and the conrods are BMW items (11 24 7 526 633 = E53 X5 4.8is part (engine number 18255) & 11 24 7 544 525 = E70 X5 4.8is & X50i part (engine number 18256 and up).

So will you put a complete new supercharger on it or only pulley, tensioner and ECU re-program?
Do you have compressor map for the supercharger? Looking through the Alpina B7 documentation it was listed to boost 0.8bar over pressure. What boost are you expecting from the pulley upgrade?

Torque up to 800Nm?

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No this is a trial on something much simpler, keep the Supercharger - just add a little more spin to it - and adapt the maps accordingly. it will probably take the SC away from the sweetspot in its map @ max rpm, but - lets try.

as I said this is an trial & error process. since Alpina nor ASA won't tell me anything about the supercharger and what ASA model its built on. - reverse engineering will tell me more next week when its being dismantled :)

the original ZF 6HP26 is rated to 600Nm - Alpina however might have fiddle with the gearbox and done
improvements - in any case I think I will not try hunt torque figures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ordered new tensioners, deflection pulley, and SC clutch service kit with new friction lining from my german Alpina vendor - Autohaus Walkenhorst. Don't want to fail on those simple things...
Would you please be so kind and post the part numbers for all these items? Are these the parts that are supposed to be changed for the 100.000km inspection according to Alpina document?

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Would you please be so kind and post the part numbers for all these items? Are these the parts that are supposed to be changed for the 100.000km inspection according to Alpina document?
I don't know - I have not seen the "Alpina document" :) please share that doc !

Attaching Alpina B5 partlist for your enjoyment.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks - excellent ! I suspect its the supercharger friction linings they are reffering to when to check for wear. - my guess.

This clutched SC is something quite unknown to me ASA is the only ones using it to my knowledge.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hey kees - there was nothing printed in that Alpina partlist stating it was copyright material :)

anyway; google alpina B5 parts list - and pick the first hit in the list ....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gearbox in B5S is a ZF 6HP28. It can handle up to 800 NM and is the same version like using in X5M / X6M with V8 4.4 BiTurbo. Several Tuners done there Homework and transferring over 750 HP and 900 NM TQ over the Gearbox. I've replaced my mechatronic and reprogrammed it, got several oil changes and the oil never worked to hard. The Temperatures from the gearbox are everytime under 85°C

The ASA Compressor is able to spin 100.000 RPM on WOT - but i've done several projects with ASA-Superchargeres like T3-313 (smaller one...) and used it to supercharge M54B30 with 0,6 Bar and with a smaller pulley (without clutch...) and 85mm diameter and spinning 110.000 RPM on redline.

intake air temps are on WOT ±60°C with 30°C Outside-Temp. Oil Temps are not over 120°C on Highspeed-Runs and 30°C.

I've changed the crankcase-ventilation with a oil catch can, to get rid of the oil before supercharger. Every oil in the fresh air will reduce MOZ from the fuel.

I've replaced NGK PFR7B with NGK PFR8B, from Porsche Carrera GT, which is a high-compressed V10, with 12:1 and 8400RPM.

With a little bit tuning to the valvetronic and the manifold-pressure-throttle-body, i think we can manage 1,0 Bar and got to 600HP. Fuel-System will be able to get this power, because its a 5,0 Bar System, using the stock 550i injectors. with the BOSCH LSU4.9 on every bank, we can read Lambda without any problems, under full-load, i've got 0,82 - 0,85 Lambda. Only exhaust-temperature is a little problem, because i've read the ME9.2.2, and under WOT, 950 to 980°C is a little bit high.

Contact me, i will do it the same way, but don't have any connections to a anyone who is able to make me a new pulley. why you don't make a bigger crank-pulley to get more rpms ?

Did you calculate RPM from the radial-compressor? Map is available becouse ASA T1-518 is the same charger, i think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates? Looking for a smaller SC pulley for my US-model 2007 B7. Recommendations? I'd likely be hitting everything, as you suggested: new belt, new tensioner, deflection pulley, and clutch rebuild kit.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Looks like I have to cancel this project due to moving to Spain for work next year, I can only take one "hobby" car with me and that will have to be the E39 M5 Twin SC :) - but with some luck mabye it's somthing that can be solved - need a garage down there to start with .....

car is for sale - pm for more info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts