BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my Autocar this morning and was looking through - great looking BMW Z10 on the front - p.60

Tucked away is whats coming next week - and its there the group test we've been waiting for...

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Cant wait to see this.

Thank you for the heads up!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just read the Autocar review and it is not a good read for ALPINA fans. The B5 suffers from a lack of limited-slip differential & the gear box mapping struggles to cope with all the mid range power. The M5 wins the group test and rather easily - Chris Harris says the M5 has the B5 cornered :sad1: . Are his comments fair?

Kevin.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ktroubridge said:
Just read the Autocar review and it is not a good read for ALPINA fans. The B5 suffers from a lack of limited-slip differential & the gear box mapping struggles to cope with all the mid range power. The M5 wins the group test and rather easily - Chris Harris says the M5 has the B5 cornered :sad1: . Are his comments fair?

Kevin.
Yes!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
And with good reason. The Autocar comments are fair and reflect some of my observations, especially trying to drive the B5 enthusiastically without having the traction control light on all the time. However I want a fast comfortable estate with a range of more than 200 miles rather than a fuel hungry fractious overweight saloon (how can it be 100kg heavier than the B5?) with an engine that sounds like a Vespa.

I found, on both my encounters, the B5 to be a delight to drive in all road conditions and familiarity with it will quickly increase the pleasure. It is a car that needs delicate use of the controls (as all Alpinas) and not the brutish approach the M5 commands. I like the M5 but not enough to replace my 911 which would be the only reason for owning it.

So the M5 would be great for the first week and for mucking about on local roads but a business machine it is not. I spend 90% of my time on roads which are inappropriate for rapid motoring so the balance is well in favour of the B5. When I want a few thrills I have an 'evolved' E-Type to play with.

Oh and I don't do diesel!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Heuer said:
And with good reason. The Autocar comments are fair and reflect some of my observations, especially trying to drive the B5 enthusiastically without having the traction control light on all the time. However I want a fast comfortable estate with a range of more than 200 miles rather than a fuel hungry fractious overweight saloon (how can it be 100kg heavier than the B5?) with an engine that sounds like a Vespa.

I found, on both my encounters, the B5 to be a delight to drive in all road conditions and familiarity with it will quickly increase the pleasure. It is a car that needs delicate use of the controls (as all Alpinas) and not the brutish approach the M5 commands. I like the M5 but not enough to replace my 911 which would be the only reason for owning it.

So the M5 would be great for the first week and for mucking about on local roads but a business machine it is not. I spend 90% of my time on roads which are inappropriate for rapid motoring so the balance is well in favour of the B5. When I want a few thrills I have an 'evolved' E-Type to play with.

Oh and I don't do diesel!
When you say "evolved", do you mean an Eagle?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Very similar but it was built by a company in Nottingham with advice from Eagle. A new original Jaguar Series 1 bodyshell turned up, out of storage, and the car was developed around it. AP Racing brakes, solid mounted suspension, Koni shocks, 288BHP and 355lb/ft engine, 5 speed box, lightweight E-Type exhaust, modern rubber etc etc. Did 3,500 miles through Europe in it last year, including the Rallye des Alpes, without a problem. Quickest car I own, a joy to be in and creates a stir wherever it goes. Noise fom the exhaust is unbelievable!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
Heuer said:
Very similar but it was built by a company in Nottingham with advice from Eagle. A new original Jaguar Series 1 bodyshell turned up, out of storage, and the car was developed around it. AP Racing brakes, solid mounted suspension, Koni shocks, 288BHP and 355lb/ft engine, 5 speed box, lightweight E-Type exhaust, modern rubber etc etc. Did 3,500 miles through Europe in it last year, including the Rallye des Alpes, without a problem. Quickest car I own, a joy to be in and creates a stir wherever it goes. Noise fom the exhaust is unbelievable!
:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts