BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was woundering what more is updated than ECU's and shift selector when upgrading from B5 to B5S?

Is chassi modified in any way when performing this upgrade afterwards?

What is the difference between factory B5S vs B5S alpina upgraded afterwards?

And last, what is the cost for an "S" upgrade?

Not much info bout this on www.

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
ziptuning just got back to se saying they gain 600hp by software and pulley kit - NOW they have my attention :)

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Nop - but Quaife has one for the B5, thats probably a better option than OEM if you asked me - got it on my M5 E39 SC.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Answer from Alpina;
Unfortunately, your BMW ALPINA B5 Touring cannot be switched to a B5S Touring.
Please contact your BMW dealer to have made the updates.
Please always pay attention that the oilfilter from the BMW 545i is mounted. And please always use the oil "Longlife 01".

that closes the OEM track.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Answer from Alpina;
Unfortunately, your BMW ALPINA B5 Touring cannot be switched to a B5S Touring.
Please contact your BMW dealer to have made the updates.
Please always pay attention that the oilfilter from the BMW 545i is mounted. And please always use the oil "Longlife 01".

that closes the OEM track.

As we knew pre-lci B5 cannot become "S", but it would be intresting to reach the data for dme. Might flash it myself :)

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
A guy that sold a B5 pre LCI said to me he had done "S" upgrade @ Alpina factory - Well I guess now that was the seller type of person.

anyway Iam manufacturing a smaller pulley now .... :)

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Yep, from what I can calculate there is a little margin left on the ASA charger for a few more rpm's :)

on the downside it looks like Alpina is using the standard N62 545 rods
- I really hope they are better than the ones used in M60-S62 engines. (all versions to weak for serious boost)

Pic from my E39 540 project back in the ole days....

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yep, from what I can calculate there is a little margin left on the ASA charger for a few more rpm's :)

on the downside it looks like Alpina is using the standard N62 545 rods
- I really hope they are better than the ones used in M60-S62 engines. (all versions to weak for serious boost)

Pic from my E39 540 project back in the ole days....

So show us ur plan? ;) intresting to follow. Wouldent be fun if something went wrong tho. The supercharger is weak as it is :)

So the rods are stock but not the pistons, how dumb :/

Nice pic :) what is wrong? ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
So what is the main difference between the "B5" and "B5S"?
- Engine ecu calibration?
- Pulley size?

At what kind of boost is it running B5/B5S? Couldn't make logs with the B5S yet since it is down due to alternator problems.
For sure I know that the B5S that is in, used a Bosch ME9.2 ECU. Is the B5 running on other hardware?
If I am not mistaken there is also a pressure control valve on the compressor or am I wrong about that?

600bhp with ECU upgrade and pulley sounds good!

BR,
Tomba

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
So what is the main difference between the "B5" and "B5S"?
- Engine ecu calibration?
- Pulley size?

At what kind of boost is it running B5/B5S? Couldn't make logs with the B5S yet since it is down due to alternator problems.
For sure I know that the B5S that is in, used a Bosch ME9.2 ECU. Is the B5 running on other hardware?
If I am not mistaken there is also a pressure control valve on the compressor or am I wrong about that?

600bhp with ECU upgrade and pulley sounds good!

BR,
Tomba
B5 (engine code H1) vs. B5S (engine code H2) shares Supercharger and most of the things, but the B5S engine is LCI (E60 facelift) based with the new engine mgmt system from N62B48TU (still a 4.4 though) and a lot of other changes, the whole way gearbox is managed with engine is new, boost is the same, more hp and fuel consumtion is optimized (more efficient) with the new ECU & gearbox mgmt.

--> edit: B5 ME 9.2, B5S ME 9.2.2
• New processor (clock frequency 56 MHz)
• Lambda oxygen sensor LSU 4.9
• Hot-film air-mass meter HFM 6
• Software for electronic oil level measurement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts