BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board and have read about the issues with the B5/B7 superchargers. I know there was a clutch fix for the earlier builds, but how has everyone's experience been with them since? As posted previously, I'm new to the board and am looking to buy a 2007 B7 in the US. BMW NA doesn't CPO the cars, so we're forced to go with a 3rd party warranty provider, and based on the comments I've seen...they can be very hit or miss. With that in mind, I don't want to get stuck with a B7 that blows its supercharger only to have to fight with a warranty provider to get it paid for. Any feedback on their reliability outside of the OEM warranty period would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know what a new supercharger would cost? (I'm trying to compare it with the 3rd party warranty quotes to see if the risk/reward is worth it). thanks everyone.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hay,

for over 100,000 km I drive a B5 Touring.

Without other problems, in summer by a heavy caravan to Italy.

On the German highway always very fast on the way.

Simply a Daliy driver.

cheers Thomas

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had mine (B5S) replaced under warranty in Qatar dealer said it was 25,000QAR which equates to a sh*tload of dollars however prices in Qatar are very inflated. If it wasn't for the warranty I simply would not have the car (as awesome as it is). The steering column was 20,000QAR the shocks were 5000QAR each and these are parts only prices!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm new to the board and have read about the issues with the B5/B7 superchargers. I know there was a clutch fix for the earlier builds, but how has everyone's experience been with them since? As posted previously, I'm new to the board and am looking to buy a 2007 B7 in the US. BMW NA doesn't CPO the cars, so we're forced to go with a 3rd party warranty provider, and based on the comments I've seen...they can be very hit or miss. With that in mind, I don't want to get stuck with a B7 that blows its supercharger only to have to fight with a warranty provider to get it paid for. Any feedback on their reliability outside of the OEM warranty period would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know what a new supercharger would cost? (I'm trying to compare it with the 3rd party warranty quotes to see if the risk/reward is worth it). thanks everyone.
Hey man, welcome

I dropped you a response over here theALPINAregister.com :: View topic - New buyer...looking for advice from B5 and B7 owners

·
Registered
17 Posts
B7 supercharger

I bought my 2001 b7 in 04 off a 3 year lease. 45k miles. Purchased an aftermarket warranty for 7k good to 100 k miles. I have had
Total covered repairs of $35000with no problem from the warenty company. The plastic gears for the secondary throttle were shot by 60 k miles and the supercharger was leaking oil (no repair ). Replace only and I believe it was about $11000 to replace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'd like to just highlight your attention that there's a cheaper solution than buying a new supercharger for the leaking supercharger issue. Just contact TheCrazyDIYengineer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts