BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selling my Alpina B5, which I've imported to the US a few years back. Here's some history of how this car entered the US: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/alpinaboard-com-bmw-alpina-discussion/212551-importing-2005-alpina-b5-096-us-have-some-questions.html
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/alpinaboard-com-bmw-alpina-discussion/334049-update-importing-alpina-b5-us-final-bill-nightmare.html

After I got it in January of 2014 I haven't been driving it much. Only added about 6.5K miles since then, so it now has 85K.

There are some minor cosmetic issue which can be easily eliminated. I'll make a specific post to highlight those imperfections. It is also possible that I'll be able to get rid of them all before selling. Anyway, this thread will be updated with any relevant information.

Overall the car is in great shape considering it's rich history of being driven in 3 countries on 2 continents and getting through a US bureaucratic machine. JK Tech did a good job at bringing it into compliance with all the US regulations, so everything works as it should.

The only reason for sale is that I'm planning on moving back to Europe soon and can't take it with me this time around, so it would be nice to find this beast a loving home of a true BMW/Alpina enthusiast.

Considering its extreme rarity in this part of the world, a potential to be a collector's item, time, effort and funds that went into bringing this car from overseas I'm asking $65.000.

Thanks for watching!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's an update with the list of cosmetic issues which all can be seen on the attached pictures:

1. Front lip chipped and scratched from underneath. ****ty parking job.
2. Rear bumper dent as seen a bit on the regular pictures. My worst parking ever!
3. Tiny chips on the edge of the driver's door. It definitely wasn't me and I noticed them long after the purchase.
4. Tiny paint chips on the hood and on the bumper near headlight.
5. A few small chips on the wheels.

As I said before, nothing major. Odometer now reads almost 87K miles as I had to drive the car a few times since my first post.

I'm lowering the price to $57,000 or best offer.

Thanks for watching!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An update:

It looks like my move back to the Old World is happening a bit sooner than expected, so I'm reducing the price once again to cool $45.000 or best offer. It cost me around this much to bring it to the States. As I've mentioned before, I wouldn't sell it at all, but there's absolutely no way to take it across the ocean this time.

Thanks for watching!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice car - consider listing on Bring A Trailer.
Created a listing on Bat yesterday and they didn't approve it. Here's what I got from them: "Thank you for submitting your car to Bring a Trailer Auctions for consideration. Unfortunately, we do not feel that your 2005 Alpina B5 is a good fit for our site and audience. We are inundated with a high volume of great submissions and simply cannot list them all".

That's very unexpected to say the least and doesn't make much sense to me. I've asked them to elaborate on this decision and hopefully they'll respond. Read about other people's experience with them and, judging by some stories, it looks like they didn't like my reserve price. At the same time there's a 1981 B7 Turbo currently on sale there and has already over $40K bid while having 3 days until the end of the auction.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Decided to share some more pictures. This batch was in a BaT submission that was denied. Also, my wife didn't like the ones in the original post. :blabla:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Surprised BaT turned it down. Did they respond to your reply? Perhaps lower your reserve?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After my first question one of their staff responded with the following: "Thank you for the email and I'd be more than happy to answer your question. We’ve been inundated with submissions, especially BMW's, which means we’ve had to make tough decisions and turn down a lot of cars including yours. Our auction team mentioned there wasn’t one particular driving factor for turning down your submission, and that you did nothing wrong in filling out the form".
After my next message explaining a bit about my B5 and an offer to lower the reserve, no one even bothered to respond. Also they didn't publish my comment, that I attempted to post under the 1981 B7 Turbo auction. Very shady and unprofessional in my opinion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It is time for a huge price drop.
Now I'm prepared to take $30,000 or best offer.
Need to leave very soon, so I'm ready to negotiate.
Also gonna try BaT once again, maybe this time they'll approve it.

·
2,481 Posts
After my first question one of their staff responded with the following: "Thank you for the email and I'd be more than happy to answer your question. We’ve been inundated with submissions, especially BMW's, which means we’ve had to make tough decisions and turn down a lot of cars including yours. Our auction team mentioned there wasn’t one particular driving factor for turning down your submission, and that you did nothing wrong in filling out the form".
After my next message explaining a bit about my B5 and an offer to lower the reserve, no one even bothered to respond. Also they didn't publish my comment, that I attempted to post under the 1981 B7 Turbo auction. Very shady and unprofessional in my opinion.
One of the many issues with BAT is they have no competition. What was a great site to get good cars at good prices (for both parties) has turned into a site that is concerned only with garnering the highest bid, not with obtaining actual value.

Ive seen some real duds on that site where you can tell they are just playing to what they think is the hot market (and so does the seller) but the cars arent worth half of what their unmet reserve was.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed. They have some very interesting auctions, but at the same time there are several regular ones in my opinion, like E60 550i or E38 740i. Just odd.

Anyways, I've tried once again with much lower reserve. Will see what they say.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To those who sent me private messages recently - thank you!

Unfortunately, I can't PM you back, because I don't have enough posts.

Latest offer was too low. If it will not sell for more than $20K, I'll find a way to take it with me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To those who sent me private messages recently - thank you!

Unfortunately, I can't PM you back, because I don't have enough posts.

Latest offer was too low. If it will not sell for more than $20K, I'll find a way to take it with me.
what's your email, I'll send you my contact info

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
6 Participants
Alpina B5 for USA!
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing