BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Hello

I have been reading for a while on the M5Board and now i figured that I should make a thread on the restoration of my B3 3.0 -94.

Pictures below shows tha car as purschased in April 2008, not so pretty but I new from the start that this was a project car!

I have allways had a huge intrest in cars and especially sportcars like BMW, Porsche, Alfas och ofcourse Alpina! Me and my better half bought our first house 2 years ago and my "only" demand was that we should have a house with a big garage! We found a nice house with a nice garage (72 m2) and I was i the market of finding a reasonble pretty cheap sport saloon (we were also expecting our first child so I thought a 4 door would be nice).
Long story short, I found this Alpina!

Since I like racing my first idea was to build a dedicated race-car from it with rollcage and so on. Somewhere durng the summer I decided that there are better cars to build a racecar from and that this instead should be a good summercar with good roadholding and good brakes which could take the whole family to a few local raceweekends .
Also I felt a bit bad of "destroing" an Alpina.

So , project in short:

Repair rust damage, change all 4 doors , frontfenders, rear wheelarches and rearend section.

Paint, the car will be Alpinweiss III with gren/blue alpina stripes.

Chassi: Bilsteins PSS14 coilovers.

HR/Eibach stabilizerbars

330 E46 Brakes

Stock engine

Stock interior exept driver seat which will be a Sparco Evo.

Body : Stock exept M3 sideskirts and M3 mirrors (original)

Annonsbild1.jpg

Annonsbild4.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove the car all summer last year to get a feel for what was good and what was not so good...
Accually the car feels very good in the mechanics, the chassi is tight and the engine was in good condition!

But the car was rusty ! After 10 years of all year use (I guess) the Swedish winter and salt had created "allot" of rust...

Both rear fenders had rust in the wheelhouse.
Annonsbild4.jpg
New wheelarches fitted and temporarily primed
PICT0438.JPG
Front fender.. rust!
PICT0440.JPG

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made a simple "barbeque-twister" so I can roll the car 90 degrees to make it allot easier to fix the undercarrige.

9.JPG

PICT0501.JPG

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So with the car on it´s side it what just a matter of elbowgrease :

1.jpg

2.jpg

The yellow stuff is the epoxi primer I use.

3.jpg

5.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thats all for today, I will continue tommorrow.
Sorry for the bad English , but I hope you understand! Otherwise the pictures hopefully explain:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome Carl! Interesting project!

What's the endgoal of the restoration?

Hi Sveinbjörn & Kees !

Thank you ! I have added more info to my first post which will answer both your questions i hope! :)

/Carl

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Continuing

To save some money (and make a good job) I decided to paint the enginebay myself. I did go quite well , not perfect but good enough!

2.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Carl. I love threads like this, showing the re-birth of something beautiful. I'd love to get my hands on a project like this. After my last two restorations I've been feeling a little burnt out but after seeing the pictures of the fantastic work you're doing is getting me all "inspired" again.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for a Alpina or //M project car for the near future. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Carl. I love threads like this, showing the re-birth of something beautiful. I'd love to get my hands on a project like this. After my last two restorations I've been feeling a little burnt out but after seeing the pictures of the fantastic work you're doing is getting me all "inspired" again.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for a Alpina or //M project car for the near future. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!

Thanks ! I agree, sometimes you need a little extra inspiration to get going !

/Carl

·
Registered
669 Posts
A fantastic project car -
this would also be the time to super reinforce the mounting points for the front seats as they are prone to breaking on all E36 platform cars.

Please keep the photos coming and great success - you will luv this car when it is finished

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A fantastic project car -
this would also be the time to super reinforce the mounting points for the front seats as they are prone to breaking on all E36 platform cars.

Please keep the photos coming and great success - you will luv this car when it is finished
:cheers: Thank you !

More pics below

/Carl

1 - 20 of 181 Posts