BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Alpina B3 3.0 E36 -94 Restoration

495308 180
Hello

Hello

I have been reading for a while on the M5Board and now i figured that I should make a thread on the restoration of my B3 3.0 -94.

Pictures below shows tha car as purschased in April 2008, not so pretty but I new from the start that this was a project car!

I have allways had a huge intrest in cars and especially sportcars like BMW, Porsche, Alfas och ofcourse Alpina! Me and my better half bought our first house 2 years ago and my "only" demand was that we should have a house with a big garage! We found a nice house with a nice garage (72 m2) and I was i the market of finding a reasonble pretty cheap sport saloon (we were also expecting our first child so I thought a 4 door would be nice).
Long story short, I found this Alpina!

Since I like racing my first idea was to build a dedicated race-car from it with rollcage and so on. Somewhere durng the summer I decided that there are better cars to build a racecar from and that this instead should be a good summercar with good roadholding and good brakes which could take the whole family to a few local raceweekends .
Also I felt a bit bad of "destroing" an Alpina.

So , project in short:

Repair rust damage, change all 4 doors , frontfenders, rear wheelarches and rearend section.

Paint, the car will be Alpinweiss III with gren/blue alpina stripes.

Chassi: Bilsteins PSS14 coilovers.

HR/Eibach stabilizerbars

330 E46 Brakes

Stock engine

Stock interior exept driver seat which will be a Sparco Evo.

Body : Stock exept M3 sideskirts and M3 mirrors (original)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Bmw 3 series (e36)

Tire Alloy wheel Wheel Automotive tire Rim
Reactions: Kyle
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drove the car all summer last year to get a feel for what was good and what was not so good...
Accually the car feels very good in the mechanics, the chassi is tight and the engine was in good condition!

But the car was rusty ! After 10 years of all year use (I guess) the Swedish winter and salt had created "allot" of rust...

Both rear fenders had rust in the wheelhouse.
Tire Alloy wheel Wheel Automotive tire Rim

New wheelarches fitted and temporarily primed
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Alloy wheel

Front fender.. rust!
Floor Steel Wheel Gas Metal

· Registered
26 Posts
Hi Carl. I love threads like this, showing the re-birth of something beautiful. I'd love to get my hands on a project like this. After my last two restorations I've been feeling a little burnt out but after seeing the pictures of the fantastic work you're doing is getting me all "inspired" again.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for a Alpina or //M project car for the near future. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Carl. I love threads like this, showing the re-birth of something beautiful. I'd love to get my hands on a project like this. After my last two restorations I've been feeling a little burnt out but after seeing the pictures of the fantastic work you're doing is getting me all "inspired" again.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for a Alpina or //M project car for the near future. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!

Thanks ! I agree, sometimes you need a little extra inspiration to get going !

/Carl

· Registered
671 Posts
A fantastic project car -
this would also be the time to super reinforce the mounting points for the front seats as they are prone to breaking on all E36 platform cars.

Please keep the photos coming and great success - you will luv this car when it is finished

1 - 20 of 181 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.