BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be my ultimate 850. I am sure no expense was spared.

from the article:
The M-prepared BMW 850CSi is already a rare beast with only 1,510 cars made from 1992 to 1996, but Alpina's version of the car named the B12 5.7 Coupe (not to be confused with the 850i-based Alpina B12 5.0) is even rarer with only 57 copies. A mere seven of those B12 5.7's were right-hand drive and only two of those were fitted with a manual gearbox, the other five sporting the automated Shift-Tronic transmission.

7 pictures and details in the gallery

·
Registered
939 Posts
Here is the Classic Driver advert

1993 BMW Alpina - B12 5.7 Coupe | Classic Driver Market

Not sure about the stats given in the above referenced DPC Cars article (7 RHD cars) as the BMW production data tells us that only one RHD 850CSi (CC88150) was converted to a B12 5.7 Coupe – see attached build sheet.
The problem is, that particular car was finished in Avus Blue with Anthracite buffalo leather from the factory.

The Classic Driver advert also says it has ‘Anthracite Buffalo leather’, which from the accompanying pictures of the car, is clearly not the case.

Would be good to know more about this car and whether or not it was originally CC88150.
If true, then Alpina clearly changed the body colour and interior for the Sultan.

Wonder what they want for it?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
This particular B12 is based on an 850i and not a CSi. I own the Avus blue one (cc88150) mentioned above, thanks for posting the build sheet.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Many thanks for chiming in, Paul.

It's great to hear that the only RHD B12 5.7 produced, is still alive and kicking in the UK!

Disappointing however, that the subject ex-Brunei car is being marketed as one of these: a somewhat inaccurate and misleading description, it would seem, and - notwithstanding the car's royal history - a questionable asking price too, IMHO.

It would be great to hear more about CC88150, her history and also to see some pictures of the car - the rarest example in existence.
I maintain a private database of all the EG92 cars (including your Alpina, as all the B12 5.7 versions were taken from the total BMW production numbers) so would appreciate any additional information you may wish to share.
Also, I'm sure Bob Harper at BMW Car would be keen to run a feature on this unique eight - it's a car that should be celebrated, and you're one very lucky owner!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Many thanks for chiming in, Paul.

It's great to hear that the only RHD B12 5.7 produced, is still alive and kicking in the UK!

Disappointing however, that the subject ex-Brunei car is being marketed as one of these: a somewhat inaccurate and misleading description, it would seem, and - notwithstanding the car's royal history - a questionable asking price too, IMHO.

It would be great to hear more about CC88150, her history and also to see some pictures of the car - the rarest example in existence.
I maintain a private database of all the EG92 cars (including your Alpina, as all the B12 5.7 versions were taken from the total BMW production numbers) so would appreciate any additional information you may wish to share.
Also, I'm sure Bob Harper at BMW Car would be keen to run a feature on this unique eight - it's a car that should be celebrated, and you're one very lucky owner!
It's far from alive and kicking I'm afraid. I found CC88150 after it had been forgotten about and neglected in a garage for the last 12 years. The car is undergoing a full restoration at the moment. I will post details of the build as it progresses.

The Brunei car is genuine, it's one of 4 RHD B12 5.7s but mine is the only one based on a 850CSi. The other 3 are based on the standard 850i and go without certain CSi options such as AHK and oil coolers. Some early LHD and RHD B12s were built using 850i base cars because BMW couldn't supply enough CSis.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Coincidently my previous B12 5.7 now resides in New Zealand. I also found that car purely by chance but regretfully had to sell it to fund a new business. I'd been searching for another ever since and managed to buy this one early this year.

·
Registered
939 Posts
It's far from alive and kicking I'm afraid. I found CC88150 after it had been forgotten about and neglected in a garage for the last 12 years. The car is undergoing a full restoration at the moment. I will post details of the build as it progresses.

The Brunei car is genuine, it's one of 4 RHD B12 5.7s but mine is the only one based on a 850CSi. The other 3 are based on the standard 850i and go without certain CSi options such as AHK and oil coolers. Some early LHD and RHD B12s were built using 850i base cars because BMW couldn't supply enough CSis.
Sorry to hear she is in a less than happy state Paul, but very glad to hear you're restoring the car to her former glory!

Also, thanks for setting the facts straight on the RHD B12 5.7's - very interesting, and adds another facet to the story of these great cars.
Apologies to all concerned for questioning the provenance of the subject Brunei car.
I had no idea there were three other 'official' RHD B12 5.7's - thought they were all based on the 850CSi alone, hence my assumption that CC88150 was the only RHD example.

Look forward to hearing news of your car's re-birth in due course.
You could post a new thread documenting her story, either here or (more appropriately) in the Alpina forum of this board - either way it will make fascinating reading.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Coincidently my previous B12 5.7 now resides in New Zealand. I also found that car purely by chance but regretfully had to sell it to fund a new business. I'd been searching for another ever since and managed to buy this one early this year.
It's a small world!
I assume it's this one (see picture) which belongs to a fellow BMW Car Club member here in Auckland.
We entered both our cars in this year's Concours d'Elegance as a Club team entry (that's my CSi behind the Alpina).

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's the one! Truly is a small world. I had seen those pics before and was admiring your CSi. I'm starting to make good progress with my car now and the aim is to have it ready for the BMW Car Club Show in August next year.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour when she emerges next summer!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello M5Paul,
I have just acquired your old Alpina B12 5.7 Diamond Black from New Zealand. Have not been in its presence yet but can you tell me a few things about its history.
Apparently Peter Rice in UK rebuilt it between 2005 and 2009. When and how long did you own it for. I'm guessing you are in Scotland.

I have E39 M5 Avus Blue & F80 M3 Mineral Grey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts