BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking at Alpinas for next car as they are slightly different to the norm and I have heard nothing but good things about their balance of handling and performance. I dislike the E46 3 series so am looking at the B3 3.2 coupe and the B10 V8, for looks and out and out performance I prefer the B10 V8 but wander what is the handling like on country roads and doing high speed maneuvers on motorways? Is it easy to overdo it on corners or does it feel very planted and safe when driven enthusiastically, also I haven't driven a car that big before is the B10 easy to drive in cities and easy to park?

Any views greatly apprecaited.

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
Most of the questions you ask are really E39 vs E36 bodystyle questions...

Something which you dont mention, but will probably have a major impact in the decision is the financials. The B3 3.2 Coupe would be quite a bit cheaper to run than the B10 V8 - especially if you take into account the major depreciation which will hit the B10 V8 over the next number of years compared to the B3 3.2.

All in all, the B3 3.2 Coupe is much rarer than the B10 V8, so it will be difficult finding a good one in the UK.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have had both E36 and E39 Alpina's (still have the B8 actually, and the B10 V8 is still for sale). In UK I'd say B10 is best compromise, and is a real hoot down country lanes. Drive them, I'm sure you'll discover what they are like.

If you live in the UK, I'd go for a car with warranty, so the E36 might be out, B10 might be the car of choice then ....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kees if you read my post you will see I mentioned i dislike the E46, money is certainly not an issue so I don't need you attempting to make it one, thank you.

Tinker thanks very much for your post, I was surprised to see you say you prefer B10 for UK roads, I do live in London so am a littel worried about the traffic and parking it as I have driven smaller cars than that but will definetly test drive one when one comes available. BMW have one for sale but its topaz blue and I would like black.

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
UK2004 said:
Kees if you read my post you will see I mentioned i dislike the E46, money is certainly not an issue so I don't need you attempting to make it one, thank you.
Happy to be of help. :rolleyes:

If money is not an issue - why not consider an almost-new B10 V8S? Should be easily within your means at £40-45k.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Alpina's make driving fast very easy. They have large rubber and great suspension so that makes them pretty good on UK roads - both big and small.
I took my B10 3.3 on the track a couple of times and it was really well planted - when we tried to get the rear out it was hard work in the dry - the V8 has more power so it would be easier.

The V8 is nearly as fast as an M5 and effortlessly mixes comfort with sportiness.

What cars are you used to ? I found the B10 felt bigger than the 523 I had before it - but that was around town - and only until I got used to it.

Also the V8 will be an Automatic - the B3 could be manual.

They are pretty different cars - and so it is a will be interesting which you eventually choose.

All the points the others mentioned make sense.

Cheers

·
Registered
153 Posts
UK2004... if you like the looks of E36, why not make the perfect compromise? Buy a B8 instead, then you got the same engine as the B10 in the E36 shell mmmmmm

·
Registered
339 Posts
From personal experience I would go for the B10 V8,the E39 is the best looking
model that BMW have produced.
It is a truly Grand Touring vehicle,I bought mine from Germany last year and is
the best car I have owned.

I tried the M5 before deciding on the Alpina as the Alpina is so much easier to drive it has a better suspension setup than the M5 unless you like a hard ride.
Touring France last year I averaged 25 MPG and at times had her up to 170 mph
on the motorway,this would leave an M5 for dead.
If you want a vehicle which is a hoot to drive very quickly in absolute comfort
which can take 5 people and all their luggage go for the B10.
Since owning my B10 the only expenditure I have had is on fuel.
I have also found it very easy to manoeuve and parking is not a problem.
If you would like to see one in the flesh send me a PM.:wroom:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a b10v8 & im very pleased with the car, with traction control turned on you feel as if u need a 20ton truck to hit u in order to go elsewhere then u want to :D - the parking of the car is well like any other sedan although im not keen on leaving my cars somewhere in the city since alot of people dont tend to park/leave a spot with enough caution, happened to me twice that i came back & experienced some minor damage to the car - rly annoying

1 - 9 of 9 Posts